Feedback on Toyo Open Country A/T or Hankook Dynapro RH03 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
ob3
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Feedback on Toyo Open Country A/T or Hankook Dynapro RH03

Did a search but not a lot of posted feedback, although it seems there are some people who have these on their E's. Just want to see if I can get some owners to post some feedback. I'm leaning towards the Toyos at the moment. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
ob3
2003 4WD EX AT

Re: Feedback on Toyo Open Country A/T or Hankook Dynapro RH03

Update: I just installed a set of Toyo Open Country A/T 225/70/16 this past Friday. I chose 225/70 size for the slight increase in width and overall diameter (which should help with bad NYC roads, and also should help offset speed reading low). The tires were purchased from treadepot.com, about $91 + shipping/ea.

Seeing that my original post had 95 views and no feedbacks :rolleyes: here's my initial 200-mile observation:

They look pretty good with the white outline letters on the outside. Nice big aggressive tread blocks.

Quiet, about the same as the stock Goodyears. Which is good, the tread pattern has deep agressive-looking lugs, and I thought it might be noisier.

Grips pretty well (dry). Have not seen rain or snow/ice so far.

Fairly comfortable ride, and (this is expected) it does feel 'softer' during turns due to increased sidewall height. I have not heard the tires complain yet. But hey, they are not high-performance low-profile tires... and I don't expect them to perform like one.

Acceleration feels slightly more sluggish when accelerating. Again, this is expected. Stock Goodyears weigh about 24-25 lbs each. These weigh 27.8 lbs (225-width) each. You can feel 3 lbs of rotational mass, but I wanted the larger size. Most of the other brands I looked at weighed more than OEM even in stock 215-width, and some 225-width tires weigh 32 lbs. The Toyos appeared to be the lightest out of the bunch. If you go 215-width with the Toyos, you can probably stay at the 25-lb weight range.

Toyo website: http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines..._suv/opat.html

Looking forward to some rain/snow/ice.

EDIT - some quick pics of tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by ob3; 01-30-2006 at 01:38 PM.
ob3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
spdrcr5
Site Sponsor
2003 4WD EXS AT

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5

Good writeup. The difference in accelleration you are feeling is probably more to do with the larger diameter than the 3#/wheel weight increase, though increasing the weight 3# can make a small difference.. The larger diameter actually changes the gearing ever so slightly, it means slower off the line with a higher potential top end.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
wankerklink
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 4WD EX AT

Yes, please post some pictures as I'd like to see how the white outlined tire look on the SOP. I should ready for new tires in the next 6 months.
wankerklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
WartHog
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob3
I chose 225/70 size for the slight increase in ... diameter (which should ... help offset speedo reading low).
Thanks for posting your update, ob3. As you noted, everyone wants to learn about tires, but few have anything to teach.

(BTW, when you increase the tire diameter, the speedo reads even lower.)

05 SOP EX AWD:
CyberWhite fogs,
Honda ventshades, all season mats, cargo tray, mudflaps, skylight tint, SOP Hawaiian shirt & cap, yellow smiley-face antenna ball.
WartHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
ob3
2003 4WD EX AT

The speedo reading was verified using a GPS. With stock tires, it used to read about 2 MPH low (60MPH speedo = 58mph actual ground speed). Now it is pretty even (only verified up to 60MPH). So I guess the speedo used to read HIGH, and now it reads lower which is exactly what I want.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
SRLNCLT
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Yeah I have the same tires. Sorry if I would have seen your post sooner I would have posted. I love them. It's hella hard to slide and they have excellent traction!! Enjoy!!
L.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Bobman79
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRLNCLT
Yeah I have the same tires. Sorry if I would have seen your post sooner I would have posted. I love them. It's hella hard to slide and they have excellent traction!! Enjoy!!
L.
How do you feel about the wet traction? Do they move water out of the way better than the stock Wranglers do?

Thanks.
Injen Short Ram Intake, Injen SES Cat-Back Exhaust, OEM Sidesteps, OEM Fog Lamps, Cloud Rider Grille, Clear Lund Interceptor, U-Haul/Valley 2" Hitch with OEM Harness, OEM Carpet Floor Mats (Summer), OEM All-Season Floor Mats (Winter/Camping), OEM Cargo Tray, OEM Splash Guards, Michelin LTX M/S 215/70/16, OEM Steering Wheel Cover, Seatback Bungees, Cup and Tray Liners, EOC Decal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobman79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
SRLNCLT
2003 4WD DX AT

O yeah the Toyos move water much better, the stock wranglers suck. They lasted me about 25k then needed to be replaced. They are terrible tires. I'm kinda suprised Honda didn't change them for the 06 models.
L.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Genom
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
2004 4WD LX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRLNCLT
...I'm kinda suprised Honda didn't change them for the 06 models.
I'm sure Honda execs thought "Man, these tires suck wind...but why break a three year tradition?"
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in