gear shift knocked into neutral while driving!?! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
bisco
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

gear shift knocked into neutral while driving!?!

Has anyone else had this problem? Twice now I've been driving on the highway when my gear shift (it's an automatic) has been nudged by the passenger reaching for the radio. Both times it slid right into neutral... while driving on the highway! Ugh! I've searched this board for similar posts and have had no luck. Any idea what could be wrong? I"ll be taking my E to the dealer this week, I guess!
bisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
PVR
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
...Twice now I've been driving on the highway when my gear shift (it's an automatic) has been nudged by the passenger reaching for the radio. Both times it slid right into neutral... Any idea what could be wrong? ...
Yeah, you have clumsy passengers!

Unless there is something wrong with your linkage, it should take a fair amount of force to push the lever out of gear if the lock button isn't depressed.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
walletclan
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR
Yeah, you have clumsy passengers!
Maybe your passangers should be less shibby...

Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
CK FQ BX
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX MT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Send a message via AIM to CK FQ BX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR
Unless there is something wrong with your linkage, it should take a fair amount of force to push the lever out of gear if the lock button isn't depressed.
Not exactly true. If you want to downshift from D you'll have to depress the button. To go into Rev you'll have to brake and press the button. However; you can shift from Rev to Nuetral to Drive without it and move from Nuetral to Drive and back with little effort without the button.

So next time someone knocks it out put it back in D. Then yell at your passenger.

My last car was an auto and my friends thought it was funny to shift me into nuetral at lights. It was almost as funny as the look on their faces in my rear view mirror as I drove away form them.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
pxpaulx
2003 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK FQ BX
Not exactly true. If you want to downshift from D you'll have to depress the button. To go into Rev you'll have to brake and press the button. However; you can shift from Rev to Nuetral to Drive without it and move from Nuetral to Drive and back with little effort without the button.

So next time someone knocks it out put it back in D. Then yell at your passenger.

My last car was an auto and my friends thought it was funny to shift me into nuetral at lights. It was almost as funny as the look on their faces in my rear view mirror as I drove away form them.
yeah, you can shift it into neutral without pressing any buttons - how else are your stupid friends supposed to make you look dumb?! (we used to do this to eachother when we were teenagers and were all stupid)
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
JPH102900
EOC Rank: Neon
2005 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

get smarter friends
2006 Kia Sedona EX
JPH102900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
sunspot
2004 4WD EXS AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

I've knocked it into N myself, reaching for the radio. At least it was in the driveway and not on the road.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
xequar
EOC Rank: Carbon
2006 2WD EX-P MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Pretty much every car in existance with an automatic is designed to be easily put into Neutral from a drive gear without using the button as a safety measure. Even on column mounted shifters, you don't have to pull the shifter back to go from Drive to Neutral. Basically, if someone leaves the car in Drive and gets out, it's a lot easier to reach and push the shifter than to have to get in and press a button to move the shifter.

The real solution to this is to get a manual, so that your moron friends can't knock your car out of gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
xequar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
billyguitar
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

Coffee is actually rare in my car while I drive. The cell phone does ring and i do have to answer it and take care of business, I use an earpiece. For anyone's info I do know how to use my mirrors, signal for turns and lane changes and avoid pedestrians at the same time. I am a very courteous, defensive driver at ALL times. I ALWAYS watch out for the other driver or pedestrian. I do not want to deal with issues, especially when it's someone elses fault, so I always maintain vigilence. The phone is audio the road is visual. I have seen other people that can't seem to manage both at the same time so I understand your trepidation. If you wish to complain about a legal activity that you want changed then I suggest you take it up with your government representative and don't flame on me. Cyclists do not always obey the traffic rules by not stopping at stop signs or signaling changes in direction so one must always be careful around them. You may ride correctly but many don't so motorists must be prepared as much as possible around them on the roads.
billyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Rock E Top
2003 2WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequar
The real solution to this is to get a manual, so that your moron friends can't knock your car out of gear.

EOC Lead rank users cannot use the term moron until the rank of Tin is reached. Lead users must use the term, Jelly Brain. Please make a note of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Every time you get behind the wheel, you are teaching your kids how to drive." - Me
Rock E Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in