Rear wheel bearing replacement - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
wboob
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 2WD LX MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Question Rear wheel bearing replacement

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, just bought my new (used) E with 65K miles on it.
Last night I heard a high pitched sound coming from my rear right wheel, and today I took it on the highway for 20 miles and started hearing the same noise again. I brought the car home and took off both wheels and the right one was really hot - coming from the center of the wheel and not from the brake pads. It appears that I will have to have rear wheel bearing replaced.
Questions:
1. could that be covered by Honda warranty?
2. does somebody know how to replace the wheel bearing? I did go to NAPA and Auto Zone and none has the bearing (dealer here I come)?
3. As an exercise, because I like to fix cars, I did pull the wheel apart almost all the way (caliper, rotor, all the bolts including that nasty 24mm one that holds the axle for the hand brake), but could not get to the bearings (in my previous car, vw jetta, I did the similar replacement after 140K miles, and it was not that difficult).

I appreaciate any advice/help.
thanks.
wb
wboob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
carvingbarn
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 2WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

welcome To the forum. Did your E have the warranty books with it when you got it? You could call Honda America. I have just had my E for a few months I can not answer your questions but I am sure some on on the forum will have a answer for you.
carvingbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Strngr
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I haven't had an E apart but I'd have to say that the bearing is pressed into the hub. They are a pita.

Former owner/operater of a fine E, with just a touch of low.
Strngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
IRV
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
At 65k miles, the factory warranty has expired, so unless you purchased an extended warranty, or the E was a Honda Certified Used vehicle, you will probably end up having to pay for it. The bearing is pressed into the rear knuckle, and the hub presses into the bearing. There is a spindle stub on the 2wd that is held in place with a nut. The worst part to deal with will be the wheel speed sensor - it will almost certainly be siezed in the knuckle if your environment is even remotely corrosive. More often than not, the speed sensor will be destroyed in the process and need to be replaced.

This is not a DIY project unless you have access to a decent press.
Just out of curiosity, whatca figure this will cost our new member?

The “SEARCH” function here is fun to use. TRY IT.:)
“LOCATION” provides valuable context to your posts.

Proud member of 2006 misfits!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is Fun!

Right about 185,000 miles 7/23/12. Still going strong!
IRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Honda Tech
2003 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV View Post
Just out of curiosity, whatca figure this will cost our new member?
Around $400 if it needs the speed sensor as well. Sometimes the hub gets pretty scored, especially if there was a lot of heat involved in the failure (like what the OP describes) which would add around another $80.00+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(not my site)
Honda Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
wboob
2005 2WD LX MT

Hi Honda Tech,

would you happen to have any diagrams from the service manual pertaining to the repair. I would like to see how complicated that might be for doing it on my own. I did not see any wires coming out the wheel except the line for the hand brake (am I wrong here?) so I am puzzled regarding your speed sensor comment.

I will check my dealer tomorrow. I am supposed to have 60 day warranty on the car.

thanks, otherwise for the reply.

wboob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
At 65k miles, the factory warranty has expired, so unless you purchased an extended warranty, or the E was a Honda Certified Used vehicle, you will probably end up having to pay for it. The bearing is pressed into the rear knuckle, and the hub presses into the bearing. There is a spindle stub on the 2wd that is held in place with a nut. The worst part to deal with will be the wheel speed sensor - it will almost certainly be siezed in the knuckle if your environment is even remotely corrosive. More often than not, the speed sensor will be destroyed in the process and need to be replaced.

This is not a DIY project unless you have access to a decent press.
wboob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Honda Tech
2003 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboob View Post
I am puzzled regarding your speed sensor comment.
IF your vehicle is equipped with ABS brakes, there is a speed sensor. If you do not have ABS brakes, disregard the comment, it does not apply.

http://www.hondapartswarehouse.com/p...%20%2029%20%20

The speed sensor is the part designated 24 / 25 in the exploded parts view

(not my site)
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
walk_n_wind
2007 2WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Not a DIY project?

Honda Tech,

Just curious...is it an option to buy hub/bearing combos where a brand new bearing comes mounted to a hub? In that way the need for a press might be negated...

'09 Kawasaki

'02 Triumph

'07 Suzuki

walk_n_wind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Honda Tech
2003 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk_n_wind View Post
Honda Tech,

Just curious...is it an option to buy hub/bearing combos where a brand new bearing comes mounted to a hub? In that way the need for a press might be negated...
Not unless you wanted to buy a whole new knuckle and backing plate as well, and then have the whole thing assembled somewhere with a press.

The bearing is pressed into the knuckle, and then secured along the outer race with a large snap-ring. The hub is then pressed into the bearing's inner race, and the CV joint (or stub on a 2wd) passes through the hub, with it's face contacting the inner race of the bearing and a large nut secures the joint / stub to the hub.

You cannot access the snap-ring or remove the backing plate without removing the hub from the bearing. If the hub is undamaged, it can be re-used when the bearing is replaced. The inner race of the bearing is split, so when you press the hub out, one half of the race will remain on the hub when it separates from the bearing, and then this piece must be pressed off of the hub.

Truely, this is not a DIY project unless you have the proper tools and training. Pressing bearings can be pretty dangerous if you don't fully understand the processes and forces involved.

(not my site)
Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
walk_n_wind
2007 2WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Gotcha

...I see. That diagram you linked to definitely agrees with your description. I hoped it might be like the wheel bearings I remember on the front of my 91 Accord - the bearing was pressed onto a hub/carrier assembly that was then bolted to the knuckle.

But not so in this case...

'09 Kawasaki

'02 Triumph

'07 Suzuki

walk_n_wind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in