The E as a tiny self-contained camper... my design... - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Trailers, Campers and Teardrops… oh my!

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
hooptey
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Talking The E as a tiny self-contained camper... my design...

Hi all...

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a camping setup that I wanted to meet the following requirements:
-No permanent modification to the E
-Retain maximum passenger / utility capability
-No noticeable increase in weight
-Sleep 1 excellently, 2 comfortably
-Sink with running water and drainage
-Shower
-Cooler
-Auxiliary Power
-2-4 hours Overnight air conditioning (I live in FL)
-Fan
-Small table/countertop
-Closed-off storage space (cabinets)

I don't have it 100% complete, but I'll take pics after I do. Until then, here's my best attempt at a descriptive look of the design:

So far, I've removed one of the two rear seats and built a skinny little cabinet/countertop unit. It contains a sink made from a 9-can cooler, so it can double duty as the sink and as an icebox. The drain from the sink goes down under the removable floor in the back. Attached to the sink are two interconnected lengths of 4" PVC piping that provide about 3 gallons of water storage. The pump is connected under the countertop to a sprayer instead of a faucet. I figured you could just spray into a cup or the sink and a normal faucet was unnecessary. There's a 3 foot length of hose that allows you to pull the sprayer nozzle to the back of the E or out the right suicide door for showering and cleaning. A deep-cycle battery is kept inside the cabinet unit (vented to the outside) which powers 3 12v sockets, the water pump, the oscillating fan, and some low-draw LED lighting that's mounted under the counter overhang. The lid to the icebox/sink has a small 12v fan and a vent built into it to allow use of the icebox as an overnight ice-fed "air conditioner" - yes, I know they're not efficient, but it can provide some relief at night. In addition to the icebox, a rubbermaid seatback thermoelectric cooler rides on the back of the passenger seat. A hide-a-mat is stored behind the remaining rear seat to allow for sleeping of two on the rear compartment floor with the seat up, or one could choose to just sleep on the rear seat as honda intended. (Intended to break our backs!)

OK... Phew... I think that's it. With this setup, there's plenty of space left over, especially where the foot room for the right rear seat used to be. So yes, if one wanted, a porta-potti could be lugged on board to make this setup 100% self-contained. I prefer to do my pooping elsewhere and use that space to put an additional 5-gallon camp shower and some food.

Well, let me know what you all think so far, and PLEASE... if you camp in your E, or have a setup similar to mine... Share ideas! I looked for ideas for a long time before I did this and came up with only one or two crazies that had attempted this. Are there more out there???

;)

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department
University of Central Florida

TSG Research, Lead Investigator

"Ellie"- 2003 4WD EX, MicroCamper w/ bed, sink, water, AC and DC power, LED brake/tail/turn/park/interior lights, HIDs, fogs, storage/cooler console, ScangaugeII, K&N, snorkel/scoop, exhaust, 3" lift, bull bar, skid plate, offroad lights, roof rack, roof basket, Viper 5002.
hooptey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
hiker chick
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

That's the spirit! Ambitious and inspired.

Will look forward to pics.

Good luck!

:)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hiker chick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
wyldmoonwoman
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 4WD EXS AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I can't wait to see pictures!

Lisa
I urge you all today, especially during these times of chaos and war, to love eachother without restraint, unless you are into leather, then by all means use restraints-Margaret Cho

The Saucy Wench Wyldmoonwoman is sailing on the Jam Cruise 8
wyldmoonwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Speedy Toaster Dave
EOC Rank: Iron
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Cool

JOJO, git it here he aint gots pic's yet''...:rolleyes:
Speedy Toaster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Jojo
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Toaster Dave View Post
JOJO, git it here he aint gots pic's yet''...:rolleyes:
Yeah I was here, but I was totally upset when I didn't see any pics, so I've been peeking, and trying to calm the zombies down:cool:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
hooptey
2003 4WD EX AT

Pics coming...

I swear they're coming... keep the zombies away for a few more hours!

"Ellie"- 2003 4WD EX, MicroCamper w/ bed, sink, water, AC and DC power, LED brake/tail/turn/park/interior lights, HIDs, fogs, storage/cooler console, ScangaugeII, K&N, snorkel/scoop, exhaust, 3" lift, bull bar, skid plate, offroad lights, roof rack, roof basket, Viper 5002.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Sounds like an awesome plan! I've had thoughts about something similar from time to time, I'm waiting impatiently to see shots to inspire me to do my own! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's
EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires,
, Curt Class III trailer hitch,
, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter,
, Home Depot Grill
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
USAFRET
2003 *Former Element owner
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Well,,,,, It's been MORE than a few more hours. I can't keep the zombies up here at bay much longer. They are wanting to head to I-95 South.
desperate

Do You Didgeridoo???
USAFRET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
retox
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Rallye Red (RR)

pics ??? :D
retox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
hooptey
2003 4WD EX AT

PICS - Sorta

Yeah, so I was in my lousy office all day at the University today and yesterday and didn't get any pictures yet. I'm going to pull Ellie into the garage and see if there's enough light in there to take a few shots... But until then, I've photoshopped up a blueprint for you all to ponder...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Trailers, Campers and Teardrops… oh my!

Tags
camper , camping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in