I am now ready to buy a used Element now. What year seems to be the most reliable? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Haulin' Honda
Banned
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I am now ready to buy a used Element now. What year seems to be the most reliable?

Ok, so I am ready to buy a used Element now. My budget is a Maximum of $15k, what year should I be looking for that has had the least amount of typically known problems? I don't care if the panels are painted or not. I do mostly in town driving. I do want the EX model. I want AWD. Thanks for your input!
Haulin' Honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
reno_bk
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

It doesn't seem like there were any particularly "bad" years for the Element...the car was largely unchanged for its entire model run from 2003 to present, with the exception of the addition of a 5sp auto (vs the 4sp auto) in 2007. There were some minor refinements here and there, but nothing really major has changed on the car. FWIW, it seems like the people with newer model Elements are getting better gas mileage than us with the earlier models, likely the result of the new 5sp automatic.

With a budget of $15k, you should be able to find a relatively new, low mileage example with little trouble. I bought my 05 two years ago with 58k miles on it for $12500, so you should be able to find a nice 07-08 in your range.

Incidentally, the transmission is the only thing that I hate about my Element -- I gave up looking for one with a manual transmission in my area because they seem to be extremely rare (with AWD). That was my mistake and I should have held out. This is the first automatic I've owned, and I think it sucks the fun right out of the car...it just feels so much more sluggish than it should. I assume the newer 5sp automatics are a little better, but I'm kicking myself for not searching out a manual transmission model. Still, I LOVE my Element and it suits our needs quite well.

Happy shopping!
Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
reno_bk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
DigDouggler
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

I'd recommend an '07 or later. Starting with '07 you get a slightly more powerful engine, a transmission with more speeds which can help with gas mileage, the seat belts are integrated into the front seats instead of the doors so you don't have to unbelt to let a passenger in a rear seat out and I think you also get side airbags starting with '07.

Just bought my '07 a couple of weeks ago - AT, AWD, 55k miles for $12,900 before tax and fees.
DigDouggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
spdrcr5
Site Sponsor
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5
side airbags have been available since 2003 actually.

The 5AT does not make for any more of a spirited driving experience than the 4AT. All the 5AT did was add another overdrive to the transmission thus improving the mpg.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
MennoToaster
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

I always vote 05-06 as the best years. 03-04 had a few recalls that were fixed by 05, and the 07-08 models have brake issues that I still see members complaining about.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Don't forget the coolant issue in a handful of 2005s.
MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

The 2003/2004 models have the most comprehensive owner experience statistics. What issues they had/have are well documented.

The E has experienced a lot of changes since the model was introduced in 2003. Most of the "skin", brakes, transmission and engine components have been modified. If you believe in such things the CR listings showed electrical issues in 05/06 and body hardware problems peaking in 06/07. The '11 model is questionable because of the small production volume.

IMO, the 07/08 models are probably the sweet spot.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Haulin' Honda
Banned
2006 4WD EX-P AT

Is the gas mileage between the '06 & '07 models really that much different because of the 5 speed, or is it just minimal? 75% of my driving is in town

Last edited by Haulin' Honda; 04-17-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Dav2ison
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Send a message via AIM to Dav2ison
The mileage appears to be about the same depending on your driving style. I have an 06 MT and love it. I test drove both the AT and MT. If you can find one and like MT, thats the way I'd go. A big difference in performance. MPGs about the same for both.
Dav2ison: 2006 TRP MT, All season matts, AutoVent Aero shades, Lund interceptor II, OEM Cargo shade, WheelSkins Perf steering wheel cover, Chrome EOC sticker, OEM rear bumper trim. Highland Cargo Tray. Nokian WRG2 Tires
Dav2ison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Haulin' Honda
Banned
2006 4WD EX-P AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDouggler View Post
I'd recommend an '07 or later. Starting with '07 you get a slightly more powerful engine, a transmission with more speeds which can help with gas mileage, the seat belts are integrated into the front seats instead of the doors so you don't have to unbelt to let a passenger in a rear seat out and I think you also get side airbags starting with '07.

Just bought my '07 a couple of weeks ago - AT, AWD, 55k miles for $12,900 before tax and fees.
They must be cheaper where you live because I haven't seen an '07 or even an '06 for less than 15k in my neck of the woods. Maybe with over 100k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
honda element buying used

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in