Rear Cargo Area Storage Shelf - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
DaveZ
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2011 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Rear Cargo Area Storage Shelf

Inspired by Elemint8's project...

After seeing the simple shelf that Elemint8 created for the rear storage area behind the seats, the light went on!

I love the simplicity of this approach and was able to construct this even with my limited carpentry skills.

I deviated from Elemint8's design a little bit in that I used 1/2 inch plywood on top and used 2x8's for the three supports.

Since I did not need the seats to be able to lie completely flat, I went with the extra 2 inches of height for the platform. I keep my seats in 95% of the time and the only time they need to be reclined is when my kids want to nap. Since they have their seat belts on I did not want the seats to flat anyway for safety reasons. With this shelf behind the seats, they can recline enough but not too much that I worry about them in the event of a crash. The downside is that if I want to put my seats up and hang them from the rear handles, I need to slide the cargo shelf and bins out onto the tailgate to allow enough clearance to flatten the seats prior to hanging. Once the seats are hung, I can slide the shelf and bins back in place.

In order to prevent the shelf and bins from sliding around when the back seats are up, I installed an eye hook on each side of the shelf to allow me to attach to the rear tie downs. In the shot below the carabineer is not attached to the eye hook so you can see the setup clearer.

I also attached some nylon straps to the rear tie downs so I could still use the tie downs in case I needed to secure some cargo on the top of the shelf.

I have the top of the strap loosely hanging from the plastic fold down hook (near the top of the picture)

---CONTINUED---
DaveZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
DaveZ
2011 4WD EX AT

This height also allowed me to use some small bins I had laying around. This makes it real easy to access items in the back by sliding the bins out like drawers.

For the construction I just used deck screws (countersunk) to attach the top piece of plywood to the 2x8 supports. I backed off of Elemint8's dimensions by about a half inch to allow for the thickness of the carpeting. It is exactly 26" x 42". Once in place it does not move at all, being held in place by the tailgate and seat backs. I glued some thick rubber shelf liner to the bottom of the 2x8 supports to minimize movement as well. The carpet was glued to the top and sides to avoid staples or brads scratching the plastic surfaces. I did use staples on the underside of the plywood to help pull the carpet tight and then pounded them in with a hammer.

I also screwed in a metal handle to one of the 2x8 supports to allow me to slide the whole unit in and out easily.

Since I will have our dog in the back area at times, I cut a piece of thick rubber (I think it was a carpet runner) to the 26 x 42 inch size to keep muddy paws off of the carpet. The rubber has velcro superglued on the four corners to hold it in place.

The materials used:

-one 2x8 in 8 foot length (gave me (3) 26" supports)
-one 1/2 inch piece of plywood (26x42)
-one piece of carpet (36" x 60")
-three strips of thick shelf liner (1.5" x 26")
-one piece of thick rubber "runner" (26" x 42")
-one metal handle
-some glue (I used weldbond)
-some bins to fit under the shelf (7" clearance)
-two eye hooks/two carabineers to keep the unit in place when seats are up

I am very happy with the ease and simplicity of this project, many Thanks to Elemint8 for sharing.

---END---
DaveZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
tooljedi
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Very Nice!:D Cool pics!:cool: I have been thinking about something like that as well! :rolleyes:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tooljedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
denaliwind

Fantastic job! Fits perfectly and does the job.
Do you have a picture of your dog in the back with this shelf?

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-11-2008 at 10:55 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Jojo
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Thats an awesome job! I really love it!:D

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Rocket Dog
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2004 4WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

I miss Tooljedi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Attack of the zombie thread!

Still love the design though, I've been toying of throwing together something like this, but then again I barely ever have the seats on :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's
EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires,
, Curt Class III trailer hitch,
, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter,
, Home Depot Grill
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
luke M
2007 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

I love it, I have been thinking about doing something like that as well, but maybe with some drawers. Nice job.
luke M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Kaikara
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX-P MT

Thanks for the instructions. I used the basic specs to build mine. I am going to paint mine so I am waiting until it warms up to do it. I will post some pics when I am done.
Kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Kaikara
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX-P MT

Here are some pics of my setup. I painted mine black but basically it is the same as the setup above. All I need to do is find some storage containers that fit right. Thanks to DaveZ for the instructions.

Last edited by Kaikara; 03-31-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in