Honda Element Owners Club banner

Trailer Hitch Grill - cheap & easy!

43K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  rico2072 
#1 · (Edited)
So many people asked me about the grill over the weekend in Ohio that I should've printed up info sheets on it! :rolleyes:

The grill itself is a Char Griller Super Pro. Has 580 square inches (almost 4 square feet!) of grilling surface plus a 250 square inch raised warming rack. The grates are cast iron and come pre-seasoned for instant startup along with a matching cast iron lifter for adding charcoal/chips during cooking. Heavy gauge steel and a lot of quality go into this, easily the best charcoal grill I've found, especially for the money!

The grill normally sits on a set of U legs with wheels and a bottom rack like so:

The one I was hauling is the Super Pro. It's out of stock until July 15 on the website but most places that retail it have them in stock. I got mine for $110, website I believe says $140. YMMV, check their retailers section to see if you can get one locally: http://www.chargriller.com/where.html

The hitch attachment is sold separately from their Accessories page. (Please note it is ONLY for 2" hitches, altogether it's much too heavy for the stock 1 1/4" hitch!) It comes complete with the cargo basket, L elbow arm, belly cradle for the grill, and pins/bolts/etc and retails for $49 from the website: http://www.chargriller.com/shop/bbq-grilling-accessories/trailer-hitch.html The whole thing ends up coming out looking like this:

The grill itself travels flawlessly. I tightened the bolts down with my impact wrench but some really good yanks with a socket and a breaker bar should be sufficient also. Just be SURE to tighten them before heading out on the road or check them partway!

For traveling, the elbow arm slides all the way into the rack but does leave just enough room to get both the top and bottom of the tailgate open. You take the grates all out and lay the charcoal pan in the bottom of the body so there's nothing to fall or flop around. For grilling, the arm pulls out to the last hole and gives you another 1 1/2 feet or so away from the vehicle. You do NOT want to try grilling with the grill in the traveling position, the paneling was already rather warm with it out!

And now the obligatory action pics:

Many thanks to those whose pics I blatantly ripped off - I was too busy grillin to take any! :D

EDIT: If you buy the hitch attachment, you'll want a Unibit or something similar for making the holes for the belly cradle. They look like knockouts but I had to drill them out!

See less See more
#2 ·
BTW did anybody get pics of the grill looking like a choochoo train? Please post if you did!

#4 ·
It's pretty kick-ass, you KNOW you want to! You'd be the envy of all the tailgaters! :razz:

#5 ·
Twi, if you're concerned about the panels, use some Reflectix and some bungie cord. I'll bet that would keep everything nice and cool. Heck you might even be able to leave it in tight to the body. (Not that you'd want to, but you could.)

#6 ·
I would never want to try to grill with it in the traveling position, reflectix or not! It's spaced like it is for a reason, and it works well. The paneling got warm but certainly no hotter than a day in the hot sun with dark paint.

#8 ·
Sounds nice, the next meet is in August up in the Duluth area, we could (if others were interested... Twi, this means YOU:razz:) plan an early to mid Sept. multi state meet. I've heard Blue Mound State park is nice. Course that also depends on whether the weather cooperates.

#9 ·
Box4Rox said:
When are we going to do a Minn, Wis, Ill campout/BBQ ??
The official Twi's Extended Family bonfire is in October, don't have the date off the top of my head. All EOC'ers are invited as well, this year we'll most likely be camping out at the farm. I'll look up the date and try to get it on the calendar early this year! Location would be just outside Black Earth, WI which is about 30 minutes or so from Madison. A nice central location for all, and maybe we can even get IRV out of his cave this time :razz: :lol:

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Twi, do me a favor and take a picture of the grill mount without the grill in it. Reason being, I'm looking for a way of grilling with my Weber Q and I'm interested in a hitch rack, but I don't know if the "grill belly cradle" would fit the Q. I'd just transport the grill in car like I usually do. Besides, at $50 it's less expensive than most lightweight hitch racks than I've found. This might be the thing that gets me moving on a few new mods:D

Yeah, the mid October get together might work, weather permitting of course.

#11 ·
Which part of the grill mount do you want? I have it all disassembled right now. I doubt the belly cradle would fit anything else, it's a curved piece that bolts directly on. Or do you mean just the rack itself?

#12 · (Edited)
The belly cradle, and some measurment (LxW) if it isn't too much trouble. BTW, how sturdy would you say the cargo rack is?

Unfortunately, they don't give much detail of the belly and no photos w/o the grill on the website.

And I haves me an idea...:D

#13 ·
This sounds dangerous...:rolleyes:

The belly cradle installs on the grill permanently, big bolts & lock washers. I have it lying off of the legs right now though, it'd be easy to snap a pic and measurements of it.

Bring it all on down here and I'll let ya have the run of my shop :evil:

#19 ·
I'm thinking that with a minimum of work, I could make a stable platform to mount my Q grill. Heck, with that handy dandy cargo rack there, I'd even have a place to put the 20# cylinder.
Alternate idea being that I could find a way to mount my Smoky Joe Charcoal grill (That'd take some welding I'd wager).
Either way I'd also have that handy dandy cargo rack:D:cool:

Now I just have to find a way to sneak the idea and execution past my wife:razz:

BTW, I mentioned the Madison idea, the wife seems keen on it. Weather permitting, of course.

#20 ·
I don't think I would want a 20 Lb. tank of gas sitting out there with no protection from a rear end hit.

If you notice, the travel trailers mount them on the front. They sit between the car and the trailer. The theory is the trailer or the car will take the hit. Not the tank.

In this state, they can not be transported on the rear bumper or on roof racks.

But this state takes everything to the extreme.

Dom

#21 ·
Hopefully I'll get time to snap pics tonight before my rehearsal starts. Sounds like you've got a hell of a project on your hands...:rolleyes:

I agree with Dom on the cylinder storage though. Good way to get blown up if you take a hit! :shock:

#22 ·
During travel, the tank will be stored IN the E. Having seen one bounding down the road after it fell off a trailer, I'd never consider mounting one outside. But the rack gives me a perfect place to set it when in use:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.