Honda Element Owners Club banner

≈≈≈ The LOLWUT Toaster's Build Thread ≈≈≈

22K views 71 replies 27 participants last post by  TRUST.pT- 
#1 · (Edited)
Hola EOC! My name is Brandon aka Papa Smurf. For the past 6 months or so I've basically been your average EOC lurker but figured I would share the build up of my '04 FWD SSM Element LX with ya'll. I picked it up in September of last year after selling my '97 Acura Integra GS-R pictured below and immediately fell in love with it...

The first day I brought it home...

And if you knew me, you'd know that I'm a complete and utter clean freak under the hood(s) of my vehicles so a proper douching was in order...

[Before]

[After]

Since owning it I've been pretty much just trying to add a few creature comforts here and there since this is the plain jane LX model...

Passenger LX sun visor w/o mirror... lame

So I picked up one with a mirror (did this one for the wifey actually lol)

OEM locking gas cap since the Element doesn't have a locking gas door...

OEM optional driver's arm rest w/ storage...

Installed...

Then I picked up a roof console...

Found the dimensions for the cutout here on EOC and traced it on to the minty headliner...

Took a deep breath and cut big ol' gnarly hole into my headliner...

As they say no guts, no glory. I'm glad I did it because it really adds a little sum'n sum'n to the super plain interior...

Picked up this OEM optional black leather a/t shift knob with black stitching...

[Before]

[After]

Got some sweet vanity plates for it...

Which brings us to this winter...

Picked up a brand new OEM bra from a cool older dude on craigslist for a screamin' deal...

Also picked up some nice new Blizzaks...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've been stockpiling parts over the winter in preparation for a much needed "coming out of hibernation" spring wrench session that I'm hoping to start within the next couple of weeks since it's now getting into the 50s & 60s here in Boise. Here is some of the stuff I've accumulated so far...

Aluminum fog light bezel inserts from South Coast Accessories...

South Coast Accessories hooked it up with a rad decal they make for us "old school" E owners...

WinJet OEM style fog lights...

Clear side markers...

Some spiffy Nokya headlight bulbs (actually installed these lol)

BLOX billet 'shorty' antenna

I installed this OEM Integra GS-R exhaust tip I had laying around because I hated how plain it looked down there without it

My amazing wifey bought me a new OEM Element SC rear spoiler for Valentines Day. I'm going to be getting it color matched this spring sometime...

My buddy gave this OEM CD5 Accord front lip that I'm going to make work :razz:

Picked up this cool little OEM USB phone charger from HandA.com

Hyper Yellow Nokya fog light bulbs

Forged open ended lug nuts and locking lug nuts from Muteki

ARP extended wheel studs

(4) 12mm hubcentric spacers from wheelflip.com

Aluminum wheel hub rings

225/45/19 Achilles ATR Sport tires. These are only temps until next spring when I get coilovers and need to run 225/40s so I can get real loooow

Which brings me to why I needed all that other stuff I just posted up. I ordered some used 19x7.5 +53 WORK Varianza T1S wheels from UpGarage.com in Japan and they should be getting shipped out and on their way to me the first week of March

Hopefully within the next few weeks I should have updates with all of the parts actually installed. Stay tuned.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you. I didn't expect it to make such a big difference on the interior but it really did.

love, welcome aboard papa smurf! you are off to a running start. Great work on that engine bay clean up... WOW
Thank you very much :) I can't stand a dirty engine bay. Every car I've owned I think within an hour of owning it I'm at the car wash pressure washing the engine bay lol

wow.....welcome paps smurf!!!! lookin' real good!

-Robert
Thank you! Definitely appreciate that!

#9 ·
1 - Engine detail: I just use a whole lot of 'Purple Power' brand degreaser, a couple different size hand held scrub brushes and a pressure washer. I spray the degreaser EVERYWHERE and let it sit for 5-8 minutes or so. Then come back spray a bunch more degreaser everywhere and then go to town with the scrub brushes. Spray it all off with the pressure washer and repeat the process until there is not a single trace of dirt, grime, grease, etc. etc. anywhere to be found.

2 - Borrowing monies: Sorry, I'm broke after paying for the new wheels. I know it's a long shot but I too have a question/favor to ask. Could you maybe ask friends, family, co-workers if I (random person you've never met) borrow about oh give or take $1,200? I'll gladly pay you/them next Tuesday for a set of nice full body coilovers today :024:

about the nokya headlights, where did they come from and how good do they work? I had hid lights for a while but they were a pain in.. and the silver stars burned out too soon. (8 mo.)
Holy smokes! Another Mr. Smurf! My SN is Papa Smurf on all the boards and has been for years! I've never come across another so glad to meet you P. Smurf lol!

To answer your question, I've ran Nokya headlight bulbs in all of my cars for as long as I can remember (other than my Integra which I ran HIDs) and have never had an issue. Light output appears to be much better than stock, they're very reasonably priced (I think I paid $17 shipped for this last set for my E on Amazon). I have a first gen. CR-V with the same bulbs and they've been in it for a little over 2 years now with zero issues. One of these days I plan on actually doing a projector HID retrofit setup with my E but until then, these are more than adequate.

#8 ·
headlights

about the nokya headlights, where did they come from and how good do they work? I had hid lights for a while but they were a pain in.. and the silver stars burned out too soon. (8 mo.)

#12 ·
I got a few more things done this past week/weekend...

Alignment done and had them order up and install SPC camber bolts to square up the front end perfectly...

I also did what I always do with my new(er) cars and replaced all the bulbs on the interior as well as the license plate with LED bulbs... SO much brighter...

I also picked up this double din Kenwood DDX470 (DVD, bluetooth, Pandora, basically everything but Nav.) last Sunday and ordered up the install kit the same day...

The single din deck that I replaced was a Kenwood deck as well so I didn't have to do anything except unplug from the old and plug into the new (not having to do any wiring FTW lol) So I installed it this morning...

BlueTeefs Mic...

#15 · (Edited)
Majestic Honda sent me some OEM maintenance goodies...

On the agenda:

- Drain/Fill trans (3x)
- New in-line tranny filter
- New p/s hoses
- Fresh p/s fluid
- New upper/lower rad. hoses
- New thermostat
- Fresh coolant
- Mobile1 synthetic oil change w/ WIX filter
- Valve adjustment
- New valve cover gasket kit
- New serpentine belt
- New Denso Iridium plugs
- New climate control bulbs (a couple were burnt out so just replacing them all)

Now, I just need to find the one thing that is almost impossible for me to find for some reason... TIME!

#16 ·
I bought a used (but mint condition) red hazard button from a guy in Lithuania out of his wrecked JDM Type R EP3 Civic and it showed up today so I installed it as well as replaced all the climate control bulbs with new OEM ones...

The old one, bleh...

And the new one installed...

I also got a chance to do the first of 3 tranny flushes today as well as installed the new P/S hoses and fresh P/S fluid (no more leaking P/S fluid ftw). I also went down to the car wash and went through an entire bottle of Purple Power de-greaser on the engine bay and bottom of the motor/trans to get rid of the mess the leaking P/S hose and winter time made.

#19 ·
The sun finally came out today so I took the opportunity to go out and bask in it's glorious essence and do some stuff to the E. I started off doing a Mobile 1 synthetic oil change and the second of three tranny drain & re-fills.

Then I moved on to installing the BLOX shorty antenna. I like it a lot better than the OEM one...

Before...

After...

Then I installed an arm rest on the passenger seat. It's actually a drivers arm rest just "retrofitted"...

When I first got it.... "That's nastyyyy..." (voice of Cleveland)

I took the cover off and tossed it in the washer for a couple rounds of bubs and suds. Nice and clean...

Before...

During...

After...

I didn't expect this particular arm rest to take as long as it did to install (never underestimate the power of a part that doesn't belong lol) but I think it was worth the torment and multiple cuts on my hands lol

#22 ·
Agreed! Its not like every other Civic or Integra out there. Even stock, they get noticed! I can't wait to see this beast out on the road. I've had mine almost 10 years and can't imagine parting with it. I love everything about it, well maybe not the classic drivers seat cracks.

#34 ·
Oh man I'm down for that!! I just google mapped a half way point and it looks like Minidoka Natl Wildlife Refuge is a halfway point for us. Boise to Minidoka = 2:39 & Hill to Minidoka = 2:33. Anything cool to see in that area?? Well besides our Elements haha

#35 ·
Honestly, I've never spent any time on the eastern side of the state so I couldn't tell you haha. I've never even heard of Minidoka lol! I like wildlife so can't be too bad of a place to hang out for a couple a few hours ;-) I'm waiting to hear what my schedule is going to be with this new job I just got so as soon as I get the word, I'll PM you and we can get something setup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.