Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element 4WD 95000 miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 03 Element in November 2020. I wasn't looking for an Element, I didn't want an Element, but after I drove it and seen what great shape it was in and only had 82000 miles on it. ... I bought it. It didn't take long to fall in love!!! But all good things come to an end right?
So, a little over a month ago I was driving home and notice a bit of a wiggle in the rear end. I took care to avoid dips and cracks because it made it worse. WELL, I only made it 15 miles when suddenly the car went sideways in oncoming traffic, at 55mph, then sideways the other way. It felt like someone was steering the back end!! Cars swerved around me in both directions, it was the scariest ride of my life!!! But hey, it didn't roll over! It held its ground! Impressive!
Once I got stopped, thank God I was only a mile from town, I limped it to a parking lot and got out to see what was going on. The Rear Trailing arm was hanging down and a section of frame was gone!!! It was so badly corroded it looked like if I touched it it would disintegrate!
I called Honda and found recalls for this very same problem in Cananda but not in the U.S. AND my E cannot be fixed. I am utterly heart broken. I don't want to get rid of it.
It is in magnificent shape other than the whole corroded thing.
So, I have decided to sell its parts, because at least she will live on as donor parts for other people.
I have never ever parted out a vehicle and I have no idea how to go about this. But if you need anything other than trailing arms for your 03 honda element, I've got it! And you can buy it
Cheap!

Just message me and we can work something out!
Thank you

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,793 Posts
This should maybe have been in "Tradin' Post". Provide some additional information, auto or manual transmission? Body color? Pictures? When I part out a vehicle (four old Accords), I completely disassemble them, dispose of worn out or damaged parts, then store the parts in my garage for use on the other Accords I had at the time or to sell. The four cars I parted out all had serious body damage, so I kept things like doors, fenders, hoods, trunk lids, etc. that were undamaged; even cut undamaged quarter panels off, then scrapped the remainder of the shell.

If you're not equipped to do the disassembly yourself (neighbors might not like, or a Homeowners Association might not permit a non-operational vehicle in your driveway), I suggest trying to sell the entire vehicle as it is to someone who does have the means to do the disassembly; someone looking for a parts vehicle might be willing to pay somewhat more than what a salvage yard would.

PS: Good luck on your search for another one (you know you will); make sure you check the condition of the underside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is an unfortunate end for another E. YouTuber Vehicle Hunter (
) also had one if his bargain E's break this way due to the rear corrosion issue that also affects CR/Vs. He claimed to have repaired it with a welder and some more metal. Yes, this corrosion issue is dealt with in Canada uniquely through a TC recall. An intrusive frame test is done by the dealership to ensure that there is sufficient metal to attach a metal bracket that will hold the trailing arm secure should the factory connection break due to corrosion. The recall does not reverse the existing corrosion nor does it permanently stop it. It's too bad that such a recall does not exist in the northern US where salt is liberally applied to the roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 03 Element in November 2020. I wasn't looking for an Element, I didn't want an Element, but after I drove it and seen what great shape it was in and only had 82000 miles on it. ... I bought it. It didn't take long to fall in love!!! But all good things come to an end right?
So, a little over a month ago I was driving home and notice a bit of a wiggle in the rear end. I took care to avoid dips and cracks because it made it worse. WELL, I only made it 15 miles when suddenly the car went sideways in oncoming traffic, at 55mph, then sideways the other way. It felt like someone was steering the back end!! Cars swerved around me in both directions, it was the scariest ride of my life!!! But hey, it didn't roll over! It held its ground! Impressive!
Once I got stopped, thank God I was only a mile from town, I limped it to a parking lot and got out to see what was going on. The Rear Trailing arm was hanging down and a section of frame was gone!!! It was so badly corroded it looked like if I touched it it would disintegrate!
I called Honda and found recalls for this very same problem in Cananda but not in the U.S. AND my E cannot be fixed. I am utterly heart broken. I don't want to get rid of it.
So, I have decided to sell its parts, because at least she will live on as donor parts for other people.
I have never ever parted out a vehicle and I have no idea how to go about this. But if you need anything other than trailing arms for your 03 honda element, I've got it! And you can buy it
Cheap!

Thank you
I'm actually looking for the suicide door lower latch loop bolts to mount it to the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheap!

Thank you
Where is the area that is rusting. I need to do the rear bushings on my trailing arms because of clunking....now I'm nervous and want to check for structural integrity before I drop money and time in to my 03.

Can someone post pics where it breaks?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where is the area that is rusting. I need to do the rear bushings on my trailing arms because of clunking....now I'm nervous and want to check for structural integrity before I drop money and time in to my 03.

Can someone post pics where it breaks?
Check the video I posted above. It's the front mounting point for the rear trailing arms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts