Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 element it overheats it can be idle for ours and stay normal or if I drive it normal in the city stays normal but if i jump on the freeway after a few minutes overheats, have changed the water pump thermostat both heat sensors fan relays and still the same problem also made a block test to see if the head gaskets where bad and is all good, if anybody can give me an idea of the problem please let me know thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best advice is to start small and work your way through the problem. What is the simplest fix when a car over heats?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If it NEVER overheats in situations where the engine is not producing much heat, and ALWAYS overheats when the engine is producing a LOT of heat then there is a clog in the system, either the radiator is clogged inside or outside, {this can sometimes be because someone introduced some old style coolant into the water and it reacted with the fluid that was in there} the thermostat is stuck slightly open, the water pump vanes have corroded partially off, or God Forbid, the internal water passages in the engine are clogged. Heck, a radiator hose might have collapsed on the inside. I am not a mechanic, so I am sure there are a lot of other things, but those are the most obvious to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to replace both the radiator cooling fan and the a/c condenser fan in several Hondas over the past decade, including my 2003 Element. Try running the ac while the car idles for 15 minutes to see if both fans come on. If not, you can test them by hot wiring them directly to the battery to get them to run. If they don't run with direct current, sometimes spinning them by hand (carefully!) will get them going if the brushes are worn out. If they only run with manual assistance or don't run at all, you can get replacement aftermarket fans cheap on Amazon.

Radiator Fan

Condenser Fan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to replace both the radiator cooling fan and the a/c condenser fan in several Hondas over the past decade, including my 2003 Element. Try running the ac while the car idles for 15 minutes to see if both fans come on. If not, you can test them by hot wiring them directly to the battery to get them to run. If they don't run with direct current, sometimes spinning them by hand (carefully!) will get them going if the brushes are worn out. If they only run with manual assistance or don't run at all, you can get replacement aftermarket fans cheap on Amazon.

Radiator Fan

Condenser Fan
thT
I had the same symptoms on my 2003 Element, and found the same problem - both fans inoperable. The fans probably died at different times but the overheating only showed up in warm weather when both fans not working. Replacement fans solved the problem. A little awkward getting the old assemblies out and new ones back in, but doable DIY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts