Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out the other day and tried to start...nothing. Just barely any power at all. Tried to jump.....nothing at all now. Went and purchased new battery, installed and still nothing.

Question - does it sound like the ECU is fried? If so, how much is it to purchase a new one and how difficult is the install.

Kinda up against it cause I go away next week and we need both cars. This ish always happens at the best times :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still sounds like a dead battery or a poor connection, and nothing more. Does the starter turn?
Nope, starter will not turn, nothing at all. Seems like it would be a bad connection, but had same problem after I tried to jump it (no power at all). First thought, oh no did I cross the connections when I tried jumping it, but no way I did that. I tried jumping it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When it was connected to the Jeep battery I heard what sounded like something spinning in the engine bay up near the passenger side of the windshield. Any significance?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Check the engine compartment fuse box, fuses 19 and 20. I would bet that the jumper cables were hooked up wrong and you blew one of these fuses.

Easy to check and cheap to fix.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Prove the ground!

Put the - ( negative ) jumper on the engine block. Then give it a shot. If it starts, then the negative cable or it's connection is bad. Something spinning in the dash is the clue. The body ground is good, but the ground to the charging/starting system is nonexistent.

Dom

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
When it was connected to the Jeep battery I heard what sounded like something spinning in the engine bay up near the passenger side of the windshield. Any significance?
That sounds like the blower motor under the dash was on. Do the lights,radio etc work?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Prove the ground!

Put the - ( negative ) jumper on the engine block. Then give it a shot. If it starts, then the negative cable or it's connection is bad. Something spinning in the dash is the clue. The body ground is good, but the ground to the charging/starting system is nonexistent.

Dom
+1 Dom

Always start with the cables and connections. A ground cable can look like new on the outside yet be corroded almost completely away under the plastic insulation. The best battery in the world is only as good as the connections made to complete a circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for the replys.

Gary was correct, the #19 fuse was blown.

Can't believe it was that simple. Oh well, live and learn:)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Gary was correct, the #19 fuse was blown.
Yep.:D

Typically when you get the jumper cables crossed that "Battery" fuse goes in an instant.

(I actually was guessing when I posted above as I couldn't remember whether it was fuse number 19 or 20. Looking later in the owner's manual confirmed that the fuse to check was number 19.)

I'm glad I could be of help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts