Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering Elements, but they're a bit out of my budget. A private seller is offering his '04 EX AWD, 140,000 miles for 7500 obo. He purchased the car in the fall from the first owner, has the first owner's maintenance records, but doesn't know why the mileage is so high (he hasn't driven it that much since buying it). The autocheck checks out for no accidents, the guy claims he's moving out of the country and needs to sell it. 7500 is around the range for a private party selling according to Edmunds, but I don't want to pay that much for a car that young with that many miles (my car's 20 years old and has 140,000 miles).

What do people here think about the high mileage? Risky?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Element, Risky?

tomoconn,

Since I get to be the first responder, I get to be the first to say it - please finish filling in your profile, it will help with future responses.

My suggestion would be to contact the first owner and ask why the milage is so high. It's probably mostly highway miles, but you are going to want some confirmation for that. Usually you can get that info from the Carfax, or the current owner probably has all that. Secondly, pay the $50 or $75 and take it to a qualified Honda mechanic (does not have to be the dealer) and pay for an inspection. They will go over it top to bottom and bumper to bumper and let you know it's issues. It will also give you some negotiating points if they find something that you should do right away. Lastly, if you have ANY weird feeling after you get the report, walk away. Just.....walk....away. You may regret (probably not though) walking away from a car you should've bought, you will always regret buying a car you should not have.

Good Luck in your search! E's are the best cars ever.

And everyone know the orange varieties are the fastest, even if they will not admit it.:-D

CoolE'sRule!

jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my 04ex with 100,000miles and never looked back it runs great and had a clean car fax. Like the person before said have it checked, and if it feels bad just forget it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would rather have a higher mileage vehicle that has been well maintained and driven every day than a low mileage vehicle that sat five days every week and had one oil change a year based on miles.

Purchased a couple low mile 5 to 7 year old cars over the years and had lots of problems. Have done much better with higher mile vehicles-however- I know what I am looking for and what scares me away.

As the first reply said- pay to have it checked out and run away if you don't feel right about the vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We bought our 04 Ex 5mt in december with 125k on it.. the first owner was a salesperson for fedex.. so he drove a lot! It had all kinds of service records.. and has been a great car. My 03 accord v6 sedan has 135k on it... I drove a lot for work, and because of my OCD view on maintenance, its still in brand new condition. With a Honda, miles are very subjective, its really all about the maintenance history. My car has less issues (none) than my partners 06 vette with 50k on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts