Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post an although my profile says I own an Element, I do not, but it is one of the ones I'm considering. I live in NJ and have not found many deals nearby so have been traveling upstate and to NY to check out elements. So here's my dilemma:

2004 Element EX with 51,905 miles for 11,250 from a dealer. This dealer is out of state and would charge me In transit to register the car. Plus tax, obviously.

The other is a 2005 Element LX with 44,000 miles from a private seller in my own state for the exact same price $11,250.

The differential in mileage isn't much of a worry as I've heard these babies will last 200,000 K or more possibly. I am just curious if you guys have any helpful info that could contrast the difference between the two years for me. Also, I know the differences for the most part between the LX and EX trims and really enjoy the features of an EX but would settle for an LX possibly that's newer and with less mileage.

Both are original owners and I know the 2004 has a clean car fax, not sure about the 2005.

Thank you guys so much for the help, I'm just so torn

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've owned two 2005 Elements -one MT EX AWD and one AT EX AWD, both were very good vehicles with no stand-out problem areas. NY State is a HEAVY road salt use area so examine the undercarriage of the vehicles for any serious corrosion issues. Check the rear brake calipers too- as I had a salt related failure of the right rear caliper- no big deal to replace-but the dealer/owner should eat it if they are selling.

If you search these boards you will find the differences between LX and EX models spelled out clearly.

One thing for sure-you need to DRIVE both vehicles- as the 04 could be great or could drive like crap compared to '05 or vice-versa.

The 70K mile '06 we bought for my wife back in December ran and drove 150% better than a couple of 30-40K mile '06's we looked at. (PS we paid $12,495 in December 09 for a 70K mile 2006 - so NEGOTIATE with the dealer/seller :))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great, that is something I would not have thought to have checked (salt corrosion).

I have driven the 2004 and it drove very nicely. It was originally priced at 11995 and could only get him down to 11250.

The 2005 I have not looked at yet because it had a deposit on it and now the seller has contacted me saying that might fall through.

Hypothetically speaking, if I drive the 2005 and it drives as nicely and cosmetically matches the 2004 or better, and the Carfax is just as good, which would you lean towards?

I'm sure I could persuade the private seller with the 2005 down quite a bit, depending on the car's condition.

·
Registered
707 Posts
05's are faster :grin:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I must agree with the other EX fans here.

All else being equal- good stereo with sub, alloy wheels, 4 wheel ABS, overhead console w/map lights, front & rear power outlets and FXC covers on the rear seats tip the balance toward the EX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, you have definitely helped me out. I am definitely leaning towards the EX because of all the upgraded perks. Since there are really only minor changes from the 04s to 05s the EX trim is my real selling point.

Thanks again and I'll let you guys know what I ultimately end up with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The ABS, alloy wheels, and integrated subwoofer make the EX the hands down winner.

I have a 2004 EX (SOP) and love it! Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was in the same boat and ended up with a new lx for the same price as a ex i found with 20k miles on it. if you keep cars for a while, the one with less miles will give you more use in the long run

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hey guys!

Just an update...I decided on the 2004 EX and am now officially a happy E owner :)
Post pics so that you can get a proper welcome...

LBD

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the club! In 1994, I made a huge mistake and leased an LX instead of the EX that just wasn't that much more in price but the EX had leather, sunroof, VTECH engine and was also available with a stick. I'll never make that mistake again!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts