Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the immobilizer posts but everyone's symptoms seem to vary enough for me to not be able to extract a solid diagnosis. Here is my issue:

2005 with 200k miles on it.
Intermittently (once or twice a day) the engine will crank but the car won't start. Flashing green key symbol when this occurs. Try again several times, to no avail. Wait 15 minutes. Try again, engine cranks, flashing green key symbol becomes solid green then goes out, car starts.
Next day cranks but won't start. Same issue, flashing green key symbol. Had to wait an hour. Eventually started up again.
o Key is on its own fob (now)
o Key has not lost it's programming as it still works, intermittently
o Dash lights and gauges work fine throughout this problem.
o Battery fully charged and responsive.
o 'Whacked the dash' a bunch to no avail (this seems to fix other people's instrument cluster/loose connection issues)

Any thoughts out there?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are there any solutions to this problem?
After we bought a 2003 Element a couple of years ago this would happen regularly and figured out different methods to solving it temporarily. Tapping top of instrument cluster , or turning on windshield wipers, or just leaving it for a few hours
and trying again.
Same thing as others here as when green key fob flashes intermittently car wont start.
Tapping on top of cluster or turning windshield wipers allows the green key to stop flashing and starts right up.
Not sure if it is the fob or immobilizer, or if it is the instrument cluster, or key ignition module.
I am in the middle of a 200 mile trip from home and 160 miles in ,the instrument panel stopped working, the emergency brake light is dimly lit, and AC quit blowing cold. Car seems to run fine but it is unnerving when you cant see temp gauge, fuel gauge, etc.
This has happened before and a quick tap on top of cluster and a beep from cluster and all is back on,
but not this time.
After arriving at destination turned it off and let it sit overnight, this morning all is fine again.It started right up with all instruments working.
Not sure where to start addressing this.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
I am in the middle of a 200 mile trip from home and 160 miles in ,the instrument panel stopped working, the emergency brake light is dimly lit, and AC quit blowing cold. Car seems to run fine but it is unnerving when you cant see temp gauge, fuel gauge, etc.
This has happened before and a quick tap on top of cluster and a beep from cluster and all is back on,
but not this time.
After arriving at destination turned it off and let it sit overnight, this morning all is fine again.It started right up with all instruments working.
Not sure where to start addressing this.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Your new problem isn't related to the OP.

Forget about the fob. If the instrument panel shut down, there is a loss of power. If the engine kept running, it is unrelated to the ignition. If the instrument cluster goes dark, and hitting the dash fixes the problem, then the most likely cause is an intermittent connection to or within the cluster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts