Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 AWD EX: Need to know the engine oil capcity with oil filter change. Some suggestions on aftermarket oil filters would be appreciated. Also would like to know the recommended type of oil for southeastern summer temps. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
According to the 2005 owner's manual, the capacity with filter is 4.4 quarts (page 172), and the recommended viscosity is 5W20 (page 170; also marked on the filler cap).

For oil filter comparisons, see the "Comprehensive Oil Filter Survey" thread, stickeyed at the top of the Under The Hood / Performance forum.

As for oil types (partial synthetic vs. full synthetic vs. dino) and brands, everybody has an opinion; there is no consensus.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Nogotta,

Don't be surprised if the recomended 4.4 qts just barley put it in the "safe" range on the dipstick....many of us have Es that take a full 5qts w/o overfilling.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just go with the recommended 5W-20...As for filters, stay away from Fram, they are total junk. I have used many different filters and I really like Purolator Pure One. Right now i have Napa Gold on both my Element and Civic, Napa had great deals on these so i tried them. I have even used Super Tech on the Element with no problems.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm a loyal WIX guy, always have been since I saw the cut-a-way comparisons.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Couldn't agree more ^^^^^^^^^WIX 51356 or the A01 also fits my
05 Acura RL
08 2dr Accord ex-l with Navi .
Always used Mobil clean 5000 5w-20 in all

RUBY

If you're wondering
WIX air #42188
WIX cabin #54817

·
Registered
48 Posts
Engine oil/filter

I also use 5 qts mobil-1 5w-20 and the ac delco pf2057.
The owners manual does have 4.4 qts, other honda element specs
have 5.6 qts. Ordered the helm honda element service manual.
The ac delco filters are very good...

Cactus24

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is confusing!! with filter change 4.4qts. without filter change 4.2qts.
but later in the manual it state engine oil capacity is 5.6qts. that is a whopping 1.2qts difference!!! I found that 4.5 put me barely above the bottom end of the safe range!! I have heard that it is better to have not quite enough oil than err on too much oil. as too much is worse for the engine than not enough. not sure how true that is but, why such a discrepancy from 4.4 to the 5.6?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You have a dipstick. Just fill to the top of the line. I've never heard of anyone damaging their engine by running at the dipstick 'full' line, but I've heard of plenty of people damaging an engine by running too low. I used 5 full quarts last oil change. Honda A01 filter.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You can not get all the oil out when you change the oil on the Honda Element.. If the car is flat you will get out about 4.5qt. If you raise the front you can get out 5qt. I like to raise the passenger side with a jack to help get the oil out and to open the wheel well up a bit so I can reach over the tire and into the hole to remove the oil filter. Also if you use the oil deflector it will reduce the mess.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
That makes perfect sense since I had some ramps I drove up. put 5qts in. 4.5 was just barely above the bottom dot.

I was going off the owners manual page 201 where it states that

"it should be between the upper and lower marks. if it is near or below the lower mark see adding engine oil on page 251."

page 251 states "do not fill above the upper mark; you could damage the engine" so I reasoned in the middle was the ideal spot.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"do not fill above the upper mark; you could damage the engine" so I reasoned in the middle was the ideal spot.
Yes, but remember the level is likely to decrease as you use the vehicle. A bit may leak or get burned off in the normal operation process.

For most of us, an oil level near the top of the range continues to remain well into the "acceptable" range thru the usefull life of the oil and won't likely require topping off before the next oil change.

The level is not likely to increase, except if something goes wrong , like a fuel injector leaks and floods the cylinder w/ extra gas, conbustion stops happening(no spark,etc) and adds fuel, or a head gasket goes and adds coolant to the oil.
In any of those cases you've got bigger issues than "oil level", and even in a best case scenerio, you'll want to change the oil after fixing the problem.

Keeping the oil near the upper range is a good idea. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can not get all the oil out when you change the oil on the Honda Element.. If the car is flat you will get out about 4.5qt. If you raise the front you can get out 5qt. I like to raise the passenger side with a jack to help get the oil out and to open the wheel well up a bit so I can reach over the tire and into the hole to remove the oil filter. Also if you use the oil deflector it will reduce the mess.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html
What he said. I ran my 11 up the ramps for the super drain. Once you see the way the oil pan is formed you'll see why some oil remains during a normal oil change. Once done, the 5 quarts brought the level to midway between the two holes. Adding another 12fl oz places the oil level at the max mark.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I got flooded with LIQUI MOLY SYNTHOIL RACE TECHGT1 10W-60.fully synthetic.
It has a high temperature stability, optimizes engine power and reduces wear. Ensures immediate lubrication during engine cold start and excellent lubrication at very high temperatures.

Best oil 8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 05 EX 2wd and I buy castrol edge syn 5-20 in 5 qt bottles and just poor it in. It shows almost full but not quite on the dip stick. I use Honda A 01 filters. I have 109,000 miles on my E and it runs like new and uses no oil.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts