Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read quite a bit here about the factory systems. I'm not an audiophile, so the factory system is okay with me soundwise; however, in my old van I had a Sony stereo with a front USB/Aux In that I could plug my iPhone into and listen to my tunes. I want this for my Element.

My question is regarding installation.

I've found several units that will fit and will likely go with this one:

Kenwood KDC-MP342U

I've read conflicting reports about using an aftermarket stereo in Honda and that it may affect the airbags and other stuff if not installed correctly. Assuming this may or may not be true, is it a safe bet to let the folks at a place like Best Buy do the installation?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd stay away from that Kenwood unit. I work at a car audio shop and we have installed about ten of those in the past few months...6 of the 10 have had an issue with going into protect mode when it gets cold outside...kinda weird right? "protect mode" usually means that you have a speaker grounding out....but it's not the case with this unit...called the manufacturer and got no solid answers....been installing for 10+ years....I know that 6 of 10 cars don't have speakers grounding out, especially when the speakers are all stock. I'd go with a pioneer unit...never had any problems with them and always last forever....just my 2 cents though. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
BTW i forgot to let u know that the MP342u is last years model....havn't heard of this years model having any problems [yet]....anyways...it's model # is a MP345u

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went by BB today. They can't get me in until late next week. I'm thinking I'll just order from Crutchfield and do it myself.

I contacted them (Crutchfield) today. These were the recommendations:

Pioneer DEH-P6100BT
Kenwood KDC-BT742U

The prices are all similar.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I bought that same Kenwood ( the one in the picture) and wish I hadn't. It's OK playing music through the Aux and USB or CD, but the FM radio is worthless. No range at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought that same Kenwood ( the one in the picture) and wish I hadn't. It's OK playing music through the Aux and USB or CD, but the FM radio is worthless. No range at all.
Did you hook up the blue "power antenna" wire when you installed the stereo? that would explain your lack of radio reception.

power antenna used to mean "power mast" but nowadays many cars with the stubby antennas are amplified and need the power antenna lead hooked up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts