Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 07 with manual transmission a couple years ago but the drought in California hasn't given me many chances to test out its real time 4WD capabilities. I've read post after post here saying that these cars are great performers in snow. We're in the middle of a proper winter here now and I've been really disappointed in the snow performance of my Element and have been suspecting (hoping) that there's an issue.

I changed the diff fluid today and performed the 4wd test in this thread:
(link removed - this is my first post and thus the forum won't let me attach a link. It's at the bottom of page 3 on the thread "4WD, testing operation of")

The instructions say that that with the car in the air, emergency brake engaged, car in 1st gear with clutch out, the propeller shaft should take at least 10 seconds to make 10 revolutions. Mine made about 20 revolutions in 10 seconds. I released the e-brake and the rear tires started to rotate; it seems the system isn't completely broken, but I suspect I'm just not getting the full torque to the rears in slip conditions that I should be.

What do I do now? Is there more troubleshooting to be done, or is this where it gets expensive? Where do I start? Excited to dive in and can't wait to experience proper Element 4wd!

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Failed 4WD test - now what?

My 2007 4wd LX manual transmission fails the 4wd test -- after changing diff fluid, I raised the car off the ground, set the e-brake, shifted into 1st gear, and the propeller shaft logs about 20 rotations in 10 seconds (as opposed to the 10 rotations that indicate a healthy 4wd system, according to the 4wd test described elsewhere in this forum). I should note that with the e-brake released the rear wheels do rotate... so the system isn't completely dead.

This is my first real winter with the Element and I've been disappointed with the performance of the 4wd in the snow -- perhaps this test result explains that?

Is there anything to try now, or is it time to look at expensive parts? Is it worth burnishing the rear diff clutches?

Thanks so much for any help!
NN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts