Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

(I did do a search and peruse for this issue, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for)

I am a mechanic at a Nissan dealership, so I do have a extensive knowledge on automotive repair. However, this is an odd symptom and before I replace the transmission, I wanna hear from others.

The Element in question is an '07, FWD.

Under load, particularly in second gear, there is a rather significant rumble that you can feel under your feet, but not in the steering wheel.

I checked trans fluid, and it didn't look great, and I thought maybe there was a sticky solenoid or something in the valve body that was causing this rumble. As a result, I did a very meticulous fluid change. Ran a SeaFoam cleaner first, and did 3 drain and fill procedures. On the last drain and fill, installed a Lucas Transmission Fix additive (half pint), and ensured fluid level was right in the middle of the hash marks. (w/o engine running)

Rumble is still present after making the fluid nice and bright red again.

I checked motor mounts, but couldn't fail any of them, plus the rumble doesn't feel like a motor mount rumble. Also, you can't recreate the rumble by loading up the engine in the shop (pulling on it).

Does anyone have any insight for me? Or is it replace trans?

Thanks in advance.

Chaz

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,452 Posts
Don't be so quick to condemn a high dollar item like the transmission. Make sure it isn't something else before taking that leap. Check the axles. Vibration under load is a typical symptom of a failing axle. Ball joints, lower control arm bushings, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My O7 Element had a vibration at acceleration that was caused by the front axle shafts after 140 k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't be so quick to condemn a high dollar item like the transmission. Make sure it isn't something else before taking that leap. Check the axles. Vibration under load is a typical symptom of a failing axle. Ball joints, lower control arm bushings, etc.

I'm thinking if it were the axles, you would feel it in the steering wheel, considering it's FWD. Unless it's the inboard joints, but inboard joints rarely fail in my experience, considering there isn't a lot of articulation at the inboard joints. I have been considering axles, but I also don't want to just throw axles at the car without actually being able to fail them.

Ball joints don't have any play.

I did hear through the grapevine that these tranny's have a common issue where a solenoid in the valve body fails, which is kind of what this feels like.

Control arm puck bushings don't look great, but they're not bad enough for me to think that that is the problem. Also, if it were control arm bushings, you would feel it when hitting the brakes hard at very slow speed, which you don't.

However, Mikev also says his cv's caused a vibration over 140. The thing is, I'm feeling this even at 40kmh, and it's only under load. Plus, there's no CV noise that I would expect to hear if a CV was worn enough to be noticed at 40kmh

Next time I have the car (it's my friends) I might take the axles out and just make sure there isn't excessive play in the CV's, to rule them out.

Thanks for both your input! This is helping my brain work lol.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,452 Posts
I've had a number of axles that acted like that on my old Accords, vibration under load without any noise. I don't recall now whether I felt it in the steering wheel or not.

If the problem is a solenoid, those are more easily replaced than the entire transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a number of axles that acted like that on my old Accords, vibration under load without any noise. I don't recall now whether I felt it in the steering wheel or not.

If the problem is a solenoid, those are more easily replaced than the entire transmission.
With those trans can you replace single solenoids? In my experience you have to replace the whole valve body, and there's no pan on the trans, so I'm assuming you'd have to split it to remove the valve body.

I'm also wondering if the rumble is coming from the final drive side (I don't have access to these service manuals, if anyone has an exploded diagram of the transmission send it over)

That's good to know about the axles though. I'm going to look into those more closely and see if I can determine that that is the failure point.

I appreciate the insight.

Let me know if I'm wrong about the valve body/trans situation

Cheers

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
339 Posts
Oh dang. That's awesome. Thank you for this info, I'm going to do a little bit more digging based off of this. This changes things.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the help, a lot!
i had a weird thump that i felt at the foot a couple weeks ago. The thump occurred when i had the AC on. Come to find out, it was out of freon. Odd coincidence, but it's never done it since i had the shop refill it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had a weird thump that i felt at the foot a couple weeks ago. The thump occurred when i had the AC on. Come to find out, it was out of freon. Odd coincidence, but it's never done it since i had the shop refill it.
Hm, that's interesting. I kinda don't think that is the case here, cause if I recall correctly I feel it with A/C off, but I'm going to double check that anyways. Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a rumble under load (all gears) on my 05 MT. Found the oil was a little low. Decided to change the oil and clean the vtec system screens (both). Those two things fixed my issue. cannot say it is your issue, but ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what im reading it sounds like axles to me.

If it does it on throttle (not off)

45-60mph its worse

and ONLY replace with Honda OEM axles - dead serious about this.

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
81 Posts
Hi all,

(I did do a search and peruse for this issue, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for)

I am a mechanic at a Nissan dealership, so I do have a extensive knowledge on automotive repair. However, this is an odd symptom and before I replace the transmission, I wanna hear from others.

Under load, particularly in second gear, there is a rather significant rumble that you can feel under your feet, but not in the steering wheel.

I checked trans fluid, and it didn't look great, and I thought maybe there was a sticky solenoid or something in the valve body that was causing this rumble. As a result, I did a very meticulous fluid change. Ran a SeaFoam cleaner first, and did 3 drain and fill procedures. On the last drain and fill, installed a Lucas Transmission Fix additive (half pint), and ensured fluid level was right in the middle of the hash marks. (w/o engine running)

I checked motor mounts, but couldn't fail any of them, plus the rumble doesn't feel like a motor mount rumble. Also, you can't recreate the rumble by loading up the engine in the shop (pulling on it).

Thanks in advance.

Chaz
Everyone seems to think it's the axles. I don't claim to have the cure but here is YT video of testing and changing solenoids. I think they are external to tranny. The video and comments are talking about shifting problems not rumbling. I may be way off but here it is.

Shift solenoid testing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Chaz
Original Post Said: Under Load - Symptoms More in Second Gear - Felt @ Feet, but NOT in Steering Wheel = Both CV-Axles & Motor Mounts Replacement.

Doesn't this seem like Motor Mount or CV-Axle, especially since under load? Not a Sound in the Symptoms, but a Vibration...Under Load, not Off Load. Everything points toward Engine / Motor Mounts / Drive-Train, IMHO,...not intermittent issue associated with fluids.

Just My Two Cents...and please prove me wrong, as I can use the abuse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts