Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove about 100 miles yesterday; got home went back out in an hour to the grocery store and back and the car is stuck in the garage. It turns over fine: ie) battery's good starters good, fuel pump fuse is good but either has no spark or is not getting gas? Honda dealer says they have no idea what to tell me. Just tow it in and maybe we can look at it in two or three days??

·
Registered
136 Posts
TEST:: Pull a spark plug out, keep it connected to the wires, have a wife/friend try to start the car, look for spark.... If looks good has spark, you probably are not getting fuel. Hope this helps some..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the spark test. You might have a couple bad coil packs. I would think that could or would trigger a engine light.

In regards to fuel sending have some one turn the keys to acc position "when all ur dash lights come on" and listen for the fuel pump buzz best heard outside the car by the rear wheels. If you know what to listen to you can distinguish that buzz noise from the audible rings when the keys are turned to the acc position while in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all....Plenty of spark but I don.t think the fuel pump is running that's why I tried the fuse first but to no avail. If in fact the pump is dead this would be the second Honda pump to die (2 different autos) in my driveway/garage why would it just quit after sitting over night?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I'm on my 4th Honda all been over 100k no news to people there. I believe a failed fuel pump is rare for hondas not to say they dont fail So maybe if you can look under the car. Try to find the fuel pump wires near the tank maybe corrosion, pull the plug check inside for corrosion, umm if u have a continuity tester looks like a screwdriver with a pointy tip and a little light that illuminates if u got juice, test both sides of the plug while someone turns the key to acc position for each side (one wire is ground so u won't get a light the other will be the hot wire you should get a light). That momentary few seconds that the pump makes it's buzzing to presurize the system ur test light should turn on so you now know you have power to the pump. After that reconnect the wires and try the key one more time if no buzz then I believe u may have a bad pump.

I'm no pro mechanic but in my experiences most things work at snap of the finger it's broke.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your fuel pump isn't working and the fuse is OK try checking the fuel pump relay. Not sure where it's located since I'm pretty new to the E as well but have had a couple vehicles in the past have a relay go bad. There should be another relay exactly the same as the fuel pump relay but for a different system on the same panel that you can unplug and try in the fuel pump relay slot to confirm if it's working by trying to start the E. Hope this makes sence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts