Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 EX
Leased car, 1 owner (are people generally less caring with a leased car? no maintenance records thus far available but they're checking on it. If I can't verify that oil changes etc. happened, would you worry if it was you?)
It's at a Honda dealership - just came in but will be certified I suppose unless something really wrong.
Clean carfax.
36K miles
Saw it pre clean up - body scratches, dirty interior, upholstery stains, probably in keeping with a car in use for 3 years though not pleasant to see it in this state! Honda will, I'm sure, clean it up pretty good. Just would have to get over how it started out looking...
AWD (had 2WD in mind for better gas mileage but hard to find)
Auto
They are asking close to $20K and know I won't be paying that!
They said they have a lot of people who wanted to be contacted when E's came in and so they have been calling them, as they did me.

Folks here suggested $17.5k for an 08 that I missed because it sold before I could get there. Had preferred a low mileage 08 but......

I would be most grateful for any advice. Thanks :)

Edited to add: Does the price you recommend includes fees and charges of all kinds? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For reference, I picked up a one owner '07 EX AWD with 17k miles for $18,200 at a Dodge/Jeep dealer. It was advertised for $19,995.

I would pay less for some scratches, stains, ect. My total 'out the door' was $19,500 including tax, new reg, title transfer, ect.

I would offer $17,500 and see what they counter.

-Scott

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Scott - Thanks for your thoughts on this. Great job getting nice low mileage on a 2007!

I find the E pricing thing so confusing because I see some advertised at an asking price below $17K (just saw one on Craigs List at a dealer same mileage asking $16.9K) and others in the $20's without much that seems to otherwise distinguish them.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on all the scratches, yet not sure it's worth 2 hour trips to other dealers to perhaps find the same thing if a car has been out and about for 2-3 years. There are no dents that I can see. And the upholstery stains - I know they will probably get them out but it makes one wonder what might have soaked in. I should probably be getting a new car in that case but am kind of hooked on some features that stopped being available in 2009. Why didn't Honda use the same philosophy with the seats that they used for the floors - should be waterproof fabric, shouldn't it?! Maybe that was an option then - don't know.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you again and I hope some other folks who have experience buying an 07 in 09 will stop by this thread.....doesn;t seem like many folks are on this site. The chicken keeping website I'm on (yes, I have pet chickens, another reason for no carpet, as I haul around straw and chicken food etc.) is hopping with members all the live long day!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
I second the $17,5, mainly because of the condition. They may clean it up very nicely, but, it gives me the indication that the previous "owners" could have cared less about it, knowing it wasn't theirs. And it there are not maintenance records..... :-(

Even if they throw in "Certified" and give you the warranty behind it, maybe $18. Most you can do is ask, and most they can say is "NO!", right? Do your homework (check NADA, KBB, and edmunds websites to get average pricing), and be firm. I have an '07 and it's a great E, but, you might have to live a nickle and dimer (even if it's on Honda's tab) that eats up time at the dealership.

Good luck, hope it works out!!

Oh, and WELCOME!! :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks AT. Yeah, if they can't drum up some maintenance records I am going to be concerned. The dealership told me they can tell by examining the car whether it has had oil changes, etc. but would they really fess up about that - I don't know. I guess I would say that I'd be surprised if they did fess up about suspicions of no or sketchy maintenance. If the car has not had oil changes I would imagine it could muck up the works in the engine, right?

And being a leased car - either a person leasing is extra careful so they don't have to endure penalty charges upon return or they are extra lax because they knew they aren't going to keep the car long term. These folks turned it in right before it hit the 36K mile max allowed. Whether scratches are inevitable for a 2007 late in 2009 I don't know, but they are there, scattered about. (if you stand back about 15 feet, the car looks great!). Drivers side door has scratch damage on the edge about half way down - very tiny chips too - dealer supposed this would happen witha car door coming into contact repeatedly with a pole or other obstacle in a parking garage. I honestly don't know if touch up work is pretty effective and whether to just chill about these sorts of things.

I am glad you are enjoying your 07E! And I really appreciate both of you keeping me company on this. Truly I have never seen such a broad range of pricing for a car - about a $5,000 range in asking prices for a 2007 E :confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Since I paid around 19,500 for a new 08 I can see spending more than 15-16k for a used one with that many miles on it. Even that is a stretch but I know these things hold there value very well. Especially if it has scratches etc. Plus you never know with a lease but generally people take less care on a lease car especally when it comes to oil change intervals etc. I have known several people with leases that do the first oil change at 20k miles! That just scares the $$$$ out of me when it comes to buying a used car. Oh well just my .02. Good luck with your searches.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ok a little more after reading the latest posts:) Is there ANY way they could tell you exactly when the oil was changed by looking at the car? I don't see it. They could track when the maint minder was reset but you can just do that w/o changing the oil. Also I feel if you care about your car it won't have a ton of scratches after 2 yrs. I had a 6 yr old explorer with 160k miles on it without any major visible scratches. It seems like 2 yrs might warrant a door ding, maybe a few rock chips on the front and a minor scratch somewhere. It should still look good inside of 15 ft imo:) Ok I'll shut up:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi EE/Scott - Thanks for your take on this. $19.5K on your new 08 sounds like you did good! :).

I'm going to push on the maintenance records thing - your experience knowing folks who didn't change the oil for the first 20K miles is exactly what worries me - I have no idea what that does to a car. And this one has 36K miles...

They're asking almost $20K. I imagine I would just make their day offering $16K or less! They may well have other folks willing to pay close to what they want, particularly if such folks only look at KBB ($21,150 for excellent condition retail value, $16.8-$18.8 for private party value). It doesn't seem like anyone on this website (EOC) pays anywhere near KBB.

I would dearly love to know more about why folks here think KBB is irrelevant these days (is it the economy?). I am reading here on this site of folks getting used E's from dealers for way way below KBB.

I could hold out for an E that's less questionable certainly, though the close proximity of this one is appealing on that level. Will see what they say about maintenance records.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It does seem to vary a lot with location as well. Not really sure why but I've heard that a lot. Bottom line is that you feel like you get at least a decent deal on an E that you love owning.

Here is my issue with KBB... In my area it says trade in value is around 14.5K and retail value around 20.5k for that 07 E. So does the dealer deserve 5-6k for detailing it and giving it there precious "certification?" I don't think so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What you say makes a lot of sense Scott. And given that spread, the final number can probably land at no more than half way in between......

Update on the car I'm considering. Odd thing - the Honda dealership still can't seem to round up maintenance records for this once-leased car (except for one very early oil change at 3,300 miles). It's been on the road 3 years.... They said the leases don't require any kind of upkeep but that they'd be able to tell if the car hadn't had oil changes and that every 10K miles is okay anyway (with regular oil). Really? They also said they haven't been able to reach the owner and that the place they think the car may have been serviced can't give out info without the original owner's permission - do you suppose that's true? Long story short, I don't know if I should walk away if no service records can be rounded up (if a car doesn't get an oil change in 30K miles, I don't know if that dooms it to have trouble....I will call Honda and see if I can get info re: that general question)
Also, I saw the car before and then after they officially cleaned it up and the back seat upholstery still has notable stains that did not come out (get the heebie jeebies wondering what was spilled and soaked in...hoping not kid's drinks like milk that would fester underneath the fabric - why oh why is the upholstery not waterproof when the flooring in an E is so wonderfully practical?). In other areas, they could have done a better job cleaning - sticky cleanser - so I'd have to clean it myself again. Other than the stains, it's not too bad. There's a tear in the pockets behind the front seats and something seems missing on the back of the front seat - all these loopy things with nothing attached to them...seems like there should be some kind of elastic bungees or something. Test drive revealed a couple things I hadn't realized. Sun/moon roof in back is as good as having none at all as it's very dark above driver's seat area - was used to a sunroof all these years. And why on earth front windows start so high up such that one can't rest an arm on an open window without raising elbow unnaturally I just cannot imagine. Same issue for me and also a taller fellow so his height did not negate this being a problem. Bugged me more than I thought it would that the back windows and the pop up sunroof all open only extremely slightly. Also, the dashboard seems so high that it's like an obstacle in front - I think one would get used to this once they forgot how other cars feel. Ugh - I have pined for an E for a long time but am just perplexed why some of this stuff is so illogical. Anyway, I could certainly hold out for another E though this one is my color (which doesn't turn up all that frequently) and nearby, so it's alluring in that regard.

Thanks for your time spent sharing your thoughts - I really really appreciate the kindness extended....

·
Registered
126 Posts
For reference, just over a year ago in September of 2008, I purchased my Certified Pre-Owned E (2007 EX AWD, NBP, 18k miles) for $18.2k plus tax, tag, etc. It was advertised at $18,999. There were no scratches, no stains, and it had been serviced at that same dealership so they had the records.

It is now a year later, this E has twice the miles, scratches, stains, and rips. I can't see offering any more than what I paid a year ago, more likely significantly less. I personally couldn't deal with such a new vehicle having the scratches and stains, but if you're OK with that, I would view $17.5k as the absolute limit, not a starting point.

Perhaps its best to find another :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have the dealer run a CARFAX on the 07 E. If it was serviced it will usually show up on Carfax. I just bought an 07 E EX in the gray color that you like a few weeks back , I had to pay about 19k out the door. I shopped around and ended up buying one from the Honda dealer that my wife worked at. The paperwork indicated that they gave the customer about 15k trade on a new car. They had the E on the web for $18,995.00 and I bought for about $17,400.00. THe E I bought also had some damage that I was upset about. The vehicle I traded in was a 2003 Ford Explorer with 95k and no scratches. This newer car had scratches on the right rear fender wheel opening area, like the owner scrapped the door frame of the garage backing out. Also a large door dent in the right rear access door. The dealer on my request fixed the fender, and had a paintless dent guy remove the door dent. This was my requirement on buying the E. I have since installed the factory side mouldings from H&A from this site and all is good. If I had it to do again I would of probably bought a new E .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
munscher, Picturetaker, thanks very much. It helps a great deal to know of other's experiences.

I have the carfax on the car in question but no service records are noted there (though I'm gathering that if one takes the car to Jiffy Lube and other such places, this wouldn't show on a carfax). Asked the dealer to work more on getting service records and haven't heard back yet. If I were a dealer I would ask an owner for service records when they turn the car in (and it was turned in at this dealership).

Meanwhile, got an e-mail from another dealer not too far away who will have same year, same color car coming in in a couple days, with 6,000 less miles (so not that different so could be another turned in lease) - - so we'll see what the situation with that one is.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update - different car - need your advice!

Hi!. Another 07EX has come to light and sounds better. It's also auto & 4WD. 27K miles, clean carfax that includes maintenance records (they weren't great about oil changes but got a few), wasn't a lease. Honda certified.
Asking price ~$20K.
I admit to being really confused by the staggering variation in pricing (and final settled number) 'out there'. I am trying to sort out what dollar figure is not in the realm of crazy (in either direction) for this car (before taxes, fees etc.). I know the fees vary from dealership to dealership but lots of folks here quote prices 'out the door' so I'm trying to make sense of it all.

I need your wisdom!

munscher got his 07 a year ago at $18.2K (plus other charges). Picturetaker just got an 07 for $17.4K (asking was $18,995) so that's pretty current info (picturetaker, was that $17.4K independent of your trade in, i.e., not including your trade in?). Scott (wscottl) got an 07 for $18.2K with low mileage at a Dodge/Jeep place (so no Honda certified; Scott - may I ask how long ago you purchased your 07?) ChasMania just got an 07SC 25K miles, certified for $19.5K (don't know if that was before fees, etc.). KingGhost got an 07 w/44K miles, certified for $18.9K (don't know if that was before fees, etc. or when the purchase happened), ElemEd paid $19.5K for a NEW 08 (plus other charges). Zoran got an 08LX for $17.8 certified. AZChris just got an 06 w/53K miles for $12.5K. On Craig's List in my area I see an 07 with 39K miles asking $17K and an 08 with 18K miles asking $16.5K (both EX's, not Honda dealerships).

ACK!!! So I'm guesstimating $17K (before other charges) is somewhere around the max I should offer? (someone else said $16K in response to a similar question on another thread).

May go to the car tomorrow if I have my act together.

Thanks for listening!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
jjthink The $17,400.00 was price for my wife( Honda employee)before the trade-in came into play. They gave me what I owed on the trade so that was actually a different deal a week before I bought the E. At the time three 07's were in my area, and I got the best price of the three. All were at Honda dealers. Usually you can get a cheaper price at a non Honda dealer that has a lot of cars in stock.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks picturetaker!

Well, I went to see the car and I like it. It will need new tires before long and has one notable upholstery stain but otherwise, good. It is Honda certified. Based on the prices others paid as summarized in my post just above, I remain perplexed about what to offer, as they seem all over the map. Help! :confused: :confused: :confused:

(I know you all have other things to do besides straighten me out!).

(I don't see a way to change/update the title of threads so they can look old/tired when we're really quite desperate ;-))

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey everybody - I offered $18K out the door for the 07EX AWD AT 27K miles. Response tonight was that the lowest they could go was $18K before fees and taxes (they add to about $1,800 so I'd be talking $19.8K before all was said and done).

Huge divide there betwen my offer and theirs I am troubled by this after learning one person on this site got theirs for $17K with only 9K miles, another got his for $15.6K with 50K miles, and many other examples in between. Few paid $18K or above.

I bookmarked a bunch of E's on Edmunds and pretty much all have sold in short order.

Thoughts? Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
139 Posts
jj- can you fill in your location on your user profile? location does count for some price differences.

BTW, I paid 20k for a brand new 07 LX in early 07 (EXs were about 2-3k more back then for a 4WD AT)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi cmpbx, Ah yes, will do that! (soon as I figure out how). In the meantime, I'm in NJ.
Thanks for the info on your purchase. Does make $18K seem like it may be too much for a car that is 3 years old. And if not too out of line, it is at least more than some folks here have paid for their 07's this year....

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
I still go (closely) with what I said previously- even though this one sounds MUCH better. The 18k OTD ($17,2 sales price) is what (IMHO) you should stick with - with a new set of rubber thrown in. You should not have to be looking at a new tires within 6 months or so. Be firm - even if you lose this one, there are others out there. Even if Es sell quickly in NJ, that doesn't mean you have to taken for a "ride" just to get one.

Good Luck and keep us posted (inquiring minds GOTTA know :razz: :razz: )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts