Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been putting items together for a couple weeks now that I have completed my custom box for a Kicker L5 8' in the stock location and am now ready to tackle installing everything. I am starting this thread so I can ensure I have all the things I need to do this.

heres a list of the gear thats going in.

Headunit - Clarion MAX685BT
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-s340NmpTpJF/p_020M685BT/Clarion-MAX685BT.html
Sound
Rockford Fosgate 301s (300 x 1 @ 4 ohm) will power the 8" Kicker L5
Rockfrod Fosgate 501x (65 x 4 @ 4 ohm) will power Hifonics Zeus components up front and Hifonics Zeus 3-ways in the back, both sets are 6.5"

Ok, so now the stuff i need for the install (sans the wires and RCAs for the amps of course), this section is the reason im posting before the install, I want to have everything I need.

1- harness ---- Which one do I need? ----

2- 2 clips for up front for the panel that covers the tweets (1 time clips aparently on +07?) ---What system/component section on Myjestic Honda do I find these in?----

3- old style center surround for the headunit? like the one off the 03-06 cuz the 07-08 isnt a straight up and down opening?

One more question.. We have Chiefs and Wizards (MLS) season tickets so we tailgate a great deal, meaning tunes will be playing w/o the car running.. would it be better to add a bigger battery or to have a cap on it. I've always had caps to help with the headlight fading on my old systems that had more watts and hard hitting bass than I will ahve in this install. What is better for my new situation?

I was going to post a pic of the box I made but I have to take the seats out to get it in and am to lazy to do so just to take a pic of it, so ill share my creation when I complete the install and show the community the finished product.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got done using the Scoshe kit for my headunit and really liked it. I also used the harnesses from scoshe too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got done using the Scoshe kit for my headunit and really liked it. I also used the harnesses from scoshe too.
Clarion head unit or another one? Mine looks to have about 1/4 inch lip or so on it.

you got a link if you didnt buy it in person?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
any harness will be fine if you are bypassing the factory amp any way. use the metra 70-1721 behind the radio and the 70-1726 to your 4 channel from the factory amp location. and the scosche kit for the 07 up elements doesnt require the older style radio bezel, it wourks with the new one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any harness will be fine if you are bypassing the factory amp any way. use the metra 70-1721 behind the radio and the 70-1726 to your 4 channel from the factory amp location. and the scosche kit for the 07 up elements doesnt require the older style radio bezel, it wourks with the new one.
K, so if i use both these units I can use the factory wiring for the speakers because that 2nd unit by-passes the factory amp? Any chance you could puts some links up so I can be sure to get the correct ones?

So 2 harnesses and a kit, correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct on all of the above questions. just google 70-1726 will pull up the metra harness, it is only for our trucks.
I dont understand the point of the amp-by pass, as opposed to just pulling the factory one out? From my amps I will need to wire the speakers regardless, so would it just be easier for me pull out the factory amp. The benefit of using this amp by-pass would be to so I could use the factory speaker wire but those have to come from the aftermaket amps anyway, the amp by-pass unit only makes sense to me if you are going to use the headunit to power the speakers... and I also am guess the factory amp splits the components up front itself, so i would have to run wire for the new components anyway

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I dont understand the point of the amp-by pass, as opposed to just pulling the factory one out? From my amps I will need to wire the speakers regardless, so would it just be easier for me pull out the factory amp. The benefit of using this amp by-pass would be to so I could use the factory speaker wire but those have to come from the aftermaket amps anyway, the amp by-pass unit only makes sense to me if you are going to use the headunit to power the speakers... and I also am guess the factory amp splits the components up front itself, so i would have to run wire for the new components anyway
the plug plugs into the output wires from the amp that goes out to the speakers. this would then be run to your aftermarket amp so that the outputs from it were used to power the factory speakers thru the factory speaker wires. you can grab the white and white/black, anc the gray and gray/black right there in the passenger kickpanel, cut them. then you would hook the wires that come from your amp into the crossover, the wires that go out to the speakers would go to the woofer output on the cross over and you would then run a wire up for each tweeter. this will make it so you dont have to run wires into all 4 doors. just abandon the factory tweeter wires since they are tied directly to the woofers in the doors. you can use the same 70-1726 harness to bypass the amp and run it off an aftermarket deck but it was designed for an aftermarket amp, that is why the harness is like 16ft long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So this is a +$40 harness thats basically only serving the purpose of not having to run wire to the doors but requires wire to be run to my amp (under rear seat) and I will end up having to run wire for the tweets any way?

If I want to just run my own wires to the speakers can I just get that first harness and remove the factory amp?

Thank you for dealing with me btw, ive done quite a few installs in other cars (learned the hard way many times in highschool) but havent done anything envolving a car with a factory amp and know that I just know enough/am comfortable to be dangerous/really screw things up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i didnt use the harness in this one, but i did in my 04. i just tapped all the wires at the factory amp this time so i didnt have to go into the doors and left both of the plugs unplugged from the amp. look at the rear door hinges and see how the wire is routed. look like something you want to mess with? :rolleyes: not me, not for the little bit of money that you would save or the very little if any gain you would get running wires thru that mess, but its up to you. if you feel comfortable doing it then just tap the wires in the kickpanel without the plug in harness.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm, cleary I havent looked at those back doors... I think I got what this unit/harness is though, all the speakers wires (stock) go into a harness that plugs into the factory amp, this unit is is the female end that the harness from all the speaker plugs into. Correct?

So once I put the first mentioned harness on (behind the headunit), the factory amp will not even come on?

I think after this round of questions I will be completely clear on what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The only thing you need behind the radio in that harness is power, switched power, and ground. You will also need a metra 40hd10 antenna adaptor ant to hook the blue wire from it up to the antenna turn on on thw new radio. The harenss that plugs into the factory amp does that so all the speakers are grabbed in one location since that is the output plug of the amp that goes out to all the speakers from there. This is why if you are doing aftermerket amps it is a good harness to use if you don't feel comfortable tapping into the wires there on your own or running new ones into the door.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My wife is requesting I have the install done by our trip to border waters which is coming quickly.

I am going to scrap doing the front and rear speakers until a later date because I want to do a bit of glass work on each door just to dress it up a bit but dont have the time to do this before the trip. Plan now is to just install the headunit, mono amp/sub at this time.

Please correct me if im wrong but I need 3 items for this. 1- 70-1725 2- 40hd10 and 3- SCOSCHE HA1702B

so i saw a pic of the 70-1725 and it has rcas to plug into the headunit for the factory amp/speakers, I will just cut off the wire for the sub and just run an RCA from the headunit to the sub amp like noramlly would be done.?.?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wizards (MLS) season tickets so we tailgate ...
Awesome, I used to be a Metrostars season ticket holder. That was before I had the Element. It would have been the perfect vehicle for my trips to the swamp. At that time I was driving a Civic HB. NJ stadium authority sucks. Their heavy handed tactics take a lot of the fun out of going to a soccer match there. I'm now torn between switching allegiance from Red Bull to the Philadelphia Union. I live equidistant from New York and Philadelphia. It doesn't feel right supporting a soft drink but I root for other NY area teams over Philly but I love the Union name and what it stands for. I can't wait to see the 2 new soccer stadiums next year. I hope the Wiz get their act together and get that soccer complex built.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well atleast NYRB has finally decided to get rid of Osorio and Agoos and their new stadium will be the nicest in the league, but im sure Philly is going to be a fun club to support. Economy is killin the Wizards stadium plans but 2 owners of the team also own a electronic medical records company or something like that and are swimming in profits so they might move their company to the site to help ensure buisness for retail for the project. We will see, the team needs to get its act together, their have been hard to watch this year, just plain and simply some poor footie; i guess not to the degree your dealing with if you watch NYRB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts