Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, there's tons of threads on "squeaking" and the rear end. I have had this issue for a while, actually since putting my coil overs on 2 years ago. There's an annoying (loud) squeak noise that's driving me nuts and passengers always ask what the sound is and where it's coming from. The squeak is most noticeable when swaying the Element's rear left and right (you'll hear it after about 20 seconds on the video). Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suspension of the exhaust pipe. Check hangers and attaching mufflers.
I already checked the rubber hangars, nothing wrong with those.

Lots of things to point out to check... How about next time one of your friends says it's annoying, ask them to help you. One rocks the car, and one gets down below and uses ears to pinpoint sound and a finger to maybe find some slight vibration.
Yeah, I'm going to have one of them help me out change my rears brakes, so we're going check it out.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sound at the end sounded like metal on metal. Exhaust flanges where two pipe pieces meet up perhaps?
Maybe, will check soon. I had the tailgate down and I was rocking the E side to side and the squeaking was more apparent... Almost reminded me like a person scratching a chalkboard w/ their nails.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The reason I ask is some of the sound in the video match that of "performance" or "Polyurethane" bushings. This is based on aftermarket bushings used in older model cars that were notorious for noise. The metal to metal sound though may indeed be exhaust related as ive heard that sound yet again on older cars. If you have some ramps get up under there with some gloves and start looking. Bushings wear faster than people think.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I ask is some of the sound in the video match that of "performance" or "Polyurethane" bushings. This is based on aftermarket bushings used in older model cars that were notorious for noise. The metal to metal sound though may indeed be exhaust related as ive heard that sound yet again on older cars. If you have some ramps get up under there with some gloves and start looking. Bushings wear faster than people think.
Thanks, Rob Dobbs!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
troubleshooting the squeaking...

after replacing the rear brake pads (which was really simple, and thanks to the service manual), my buddies and I proceeded to troubleshoot the squeaky, metal-on-metal noise. With some Rhino ramps, we lifted the rear end and started swaying the E left and right as well as bounce the suspension up and down.

metal-on-metal squeaks were coming from the right rear side stabilizer link:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts