Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to get the cfm EX awd (minus $3500 for clunker), and have some garmin navs, but I hate the mounts and the wires. Have a lexus w built in nav, it's not as good as the garmin but you can't beat the built in look. But, is the built in nav worth, what about $1500? Anyone with a very clean aftermarket garmin install?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I struggled with that same question. I have a 300C with the built in Nav. I love the look but can't stand the usability. My $150 Magellan works way better than the built-in. I just picked up a new 09 AWD and opted to go without the Nav based on the experience with the 300C. I just ordered a Nuvi 265WT and will be trying to do a clean install tomorrow. Time will tell if I regret my decision. I'll post pics this weekend of the Nav install.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not imo

I would go the route I went and have a Kenwood or other aftermarket put in. You get the built in with Garmin nav, bluetooth (that the factory nav doesn't do) ipod interface, DVD player, remote, better screen and usability etc etc. Better unit for less money imo. .02

·
Registered
19 Posts
Eh, it's hard to say. My wife's 2006 Accord has the factory Nav and I think it sucks. "Some routing may be longer due to incomplete something or other" ... "Entering unverified area." I can be driving to an address that has been there for 50 years and I still get that crap. I hate it compared to my Garmin.

That said, we got the factory Nav in the Element. I'll give it a shot with the newer disk and see how it does. I can always toss the Garmin back up. Plus, I like the big screen with the extra junk, and the backup camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the 09 4wd Ex with Nav and I love it. So far, no big issues with unknown destinations. I like the nanny cam and the ipod interface. The voice commands are way less than perfect (or I mumble), there may be a better option, but I am not disappointed yet.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. If the 08 would have had Navi as an option, I would have
bought my E with the Navi!!!! No doubt. Since it didnt, here is my Garmin
760 in the E. I am using the Panavise mounts. I think it is the second best
thing to the built in option!!!!

OK, I was going to paste a picture here, but smugmug is down right now :(

I'll post of pic of my install as soon as I can!!!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. If the 08 would have had Navi as an option, I would have
bought my E with the Navi!!!! No doubt. Since it didnt, here is my Garmin
760 in the E. I am using the Panavise mounts. I think it is the second best
thing to the built in option!!!!

OK, I was going to paste a picture here, but smugmug is down right now :(

I'll post of pic of my install as soon as I can!!!
Here is the pic:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would go the route I went and have a Kenwood or other aftermarket put in. You get the built in with Garmin nav, bluetooth (that the factory nav doesn't do) ipod interface, DVD player, remote, better screen and usability etc etc. Better unit for less money imo. .02
Here's a crappy pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
With the included back-up camera, I would have gotten it if it had been available in '08. Well worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
About to get the cfm EX awd (minus $3500 for clunker), and have some garmin navs, but I hate the mounts and the wires. Have a lexus w built in nav, it's not as good as the garmin but you can't beat the built in look. But, is the built in nav worth, what about $1500? Anyone with a very clean aftermarket garmin install?

thanks
I did a KBB trade-in value with and then without the built in nav. It was valued $75 less with the NAV than without. I'm going to buy a TomTom and get the E without the nav.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yea I think the install labor was around $150 for everything if I remember correctly. I am much better with mechanical than electrical so it was well worth it for me to have it installed. The units themselves are $1100-$1300 depending where you look. Obviously you can find cheaper units but I think this one is worth it. The screen is amazing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Also consider a couple of other things that the Honda nav has...

Voice recognition allows full nav and radio controls.
Steering wheel controls.
Adds a backup camera.
Plus a USB port where a memory stick filled with mp3s can plug in (in glove box); or an ipod which has music titles integrated into the unit's controls.
Alpha display of XM music info.

Comparing to a suction cup mounted unit, placement is much better. Harder for a thief to smash and grab.

The display clarity is excellent day or night.

A few things missing...
bluetooth
limited customization
no digital FM radio
no extended data on FM radio station text

Frustrating - having to hit 'ok' every time it starts up to enable map display

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just ignore hitting the ok when I start the E and it goes to the clock by default. I don't use the Navi on every trip. I have a hard time sometimes finding things in the search option. For example, I entered in North Carolina Zoo in Ashville, NC and found nothing. If I enter in an exact address, it works like a charm! I do love being able to hit a button and change the XM radio channel by voice as well as display options. If it had bluetooth and could find locations a little better other than having to have an intersection or address I would say it was absolutely perfect. Either way I am happy with the unit as it is better than the Tom Tom One that I had before.

·
Registered
428 Posts
2 very cool features offer with Navi, personally I could not live w/o them:

1) SVC (Speed-Sensitive Volume Compensation). No more audio volume change when driving. It goes up & down automatically along with speed of the car. Three sensitivity levels plus off for SVC. It is possible since Navi received speed info from E's ECM/PCM vehicle speed pulse. Our E is not the quietest car by long shot, this function allow me to enjoy music, regardless speed, w/o manually changing volume, so I could pay attention to the road.

2) GPS will work w/o clear view of sky when on the road. It continue track E's location on the road in the GPS when deep inside the forest or in the tunnel. It is possible since Navi received speed info from E's ECM/PCM vehicle speed pulse, forward/reverse info from E's reverse signal, & Navi unit's own build in yaw rate sensor to determine E's orientation. I don't know how many time I was really appreciated of this function, when I was going through confusing back roads in Santa Cruz mountain here in North CA w/o stopping.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Two points:

1) GPS technology and ease-of-use will continue to improve. A handheld lets you more easily keep abreast of those changes.

2) For mounting, my Nuvi is small enough that I mount it about even with, and on the same level as, the rearview mirror. Much easier to glance at than either on the dash, or worse (IMHO) below dash level. Keeping your eyes up while futzing with the unit aids in the ability to see peripheral threats.

FWIW, I currently use a Garmin Nuvi 550. Prior to that it was a Garmin GPS496 aviation unit in "street" mode. An installed GPS would be nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought the 09 4wd Ex with Nav and I love it. So far, no big issues with unknown destinations. I like the nanny cam and the ipod interface. The voice commands are way less than perfect (or I mumble), there may be a better option, but I am not disappointed yet.

Totally agree, I love the clean look of the navi. Took a trip to vegas and it was flawless. The iPod interface is great as well, for me well worth it. I haven't had the greatest experience from the voice activation. Overall very cool!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts