Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to just sell the rear-passenger mount? Mine broke when I took a sharp turn (yeah, I wasn't looking or thinking, haha). Or am I SOL and I have to buy a whole new set?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Is it possible to just sell the rear-passenger mount? Mine broke when I took a sharp turn (yeah, I wasn't looking or thinking, haha). Or am I SOL and I have to buy a whole new set?

The mounts were available as a set (front & rear) for each side, but not at the moment. I have tried buying a set and have been told by several sources including Honda that Honda had put a stop sale on them until a new redesign can be issued.

Apparently the rear bracket is prone to breaking at the spot yours did. My passenger side rear bracket broke at the same exact spot too while I was stepping on the steps.

The date given for the release of the new ones is late October, so they will probably not be available from dealers until early November. The brackets are way cheaper than buying a whole set of steps so I am willing to wait. I have mine held together by wire until then.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mounts were available as a set (front & rear) for each side, but not at the moment. I have tried buying a set and have been told by several sources including Honda that Honda had put a stop sale on them until a new redesign can be issued.

Apparently the rear bracket is prone to breaking at the spot yours did. My passenger side rear bracket broke at the same exact spot too while I was stepping on the steps.

The date given for the release of the new ones is late October, so they will probably not be available from dealers until early November. The brackets are way cheaper than buying a whole set of steps so I am willing to wait. I have mine held together by wire until then.
Thx Snuff, damn... I'll call around anyways, I cannot wait until October/November for their redesign. :(

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I called several places. A few told me that they won't have steps until OCTOBER. So it looks like they're really revising the steps.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question...

What's the warranty on these? I know since we're installing these on E's not 09 or 10, Honda probably won't give us support, but do these at all fall in a warranty? I mean if the design was faulty to begin with, should owners get something out of it?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What's the warranty on these? I know since we're installing these on E's not 09 or 10, Honda probably won't give us support, but do these at all fall in a warranty? I mean if the design was faulty to begin with, should owners get something out of it?
Additional Limited Warranty Information
Genuine Honda parts, when installed by a Honda dealer, are covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles. Parts purchased from, but not installed by a Honda dealer are covered for 1 year.

However, if you installed a part that isn't meant for that car (09 steps) on say an (07 element) , I don't think they'd do much of anything since technically it wasn't designed for that application....(which is why they have model numbers allocated to specific models)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As Type X said, no warranty. Even though it is a perfect fit and actually goes on better than the earlier models, people will get stupid and tell you that it is not meant to be there and it doesn't fit even if you plaster their nose right against it. So you're stuck with waiting for the new parts or deal with another stupidity.

You can't buy the part because it is defective, but they will sell you an entire sidestep set which has that same defective part for almost $500 though. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As Type X said, no warranty. Even though it is a perfect fit and actually goes on better than the earlier models, people will get stupid and tell you that it is not meant to be there and it doesn't fit even if you plaster their nose right against it. So you're stuck with waiting for the new parts or deal with another stupidity.

You can't buy the part because it is defective, but they will sell you an entire sidestep set which has that same defective part for almost $500 though. Go figure.
Did you guys break the same side?
Maybe you can try to get a group of the members that have broken steps "buddy up" and split new sets. VS having zero.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Did you guys break the same side?
Maybe you can try to get a group of the members that have broken steps "buddy up" and split new sets. VS having zero.
Yes, it appears we both broke the same piece.

I wonder what exact conditions would cause them to break. For mine, two large male adults were standing on it at the same time. The heavier one (me, @250lbs) was standing right on top of that spot.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yes, it appears we both broke the same piece.

I wonder what exact conditions would cause them to break. For mine, two large male adults were standing on it at the same time. The heavier one (me, @250lbs) was standing right on top of that spot.
Not sure what the weight rating is, but it could be something as basic as when they pressed the materials there was some type of defect there or something a little more complicated as the design and that point of "snapping" allocated more of the load.

Who knows nowadays, i'm sure companies want to keep costs down and its hard to keep quality up while doing that.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine broke because I took a sharp turn into a corner parking space, the step crunched into the island, snapping the rear mount only, like popped off.

Anyways, I'm going to remove all the mounts this weekend... I almost forgot what my E looks like w/o the steps... And maybe it's a good time to put my KSports in hehe.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Mine broke because I took a sharp turn into a corner parking space, the step crunched into the island, snapping the rear mount only, like popped off.

Anyways, I'm going to remove all the mounts this weekend... I almost forgot what my E looks like w/o the steps... And maybe it's a good time to put my KSports in hehe.
That's wild.
What are the odds you'd hit the island on the steps in the SAME PLACE they have the recall lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
So, I have the OEM 09 Sidesteps....is there a recall on them. I bought mine from H and A and I installed them myself. Please let me know b/c I haven't heard any news other than on this thread. Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Honda hasn't told us anything about a recall. They stopped selling us the current ones but haven't said anything else at all about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I called up my local Honda dealer yesterday, and ask them how much the bracket was for a 09 Honda sidesteps and he quoted me $161 for a pair.
He said that the were not in stock and I asked him to check on a recall and
he told me there was not any recall. He did say that my sidesteps may be under warranty since I bought them less than a year ago.

I broke the driver side rear bracket on mine when I was taking a left and I hit the curb. Its probably not going to be under warranty...I'm guessing

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
To clarify, I was not told there was a recall. I never mentioned the word recall in my original post. What I was told is that no new brackets will be sold by Honda until a new redesign is issued. Many vendors that had them in stock were told to send them back. Other vendors that did not stock them were told they could not order them.

The autobody shop that fixed my car after my accident was going to replace the bracket for me as part of fixing up a bad repaint job. They had the brackets in the shop. The dealer that sold it to them took them back.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To clarify, I was not told there was a recall. I never mentioned the word recall in my original post. What I was told is that no new brackets will be sold by Honda until a new redesign is issued. Many vendors that had them in stock were told to send them back. Other vendors that did not stock them were told they could not order them.

The autobody shop that fixed my car after my accident was going to replace the bracket for me as part of fixing up a bad repaint job. They had the brackets in the shop. The dealer that sold it to them took them back.
The dealers I called too said "redesign" as well. I miss my steps, and the E feels naked w/o them. I'm contemplating buying the round OEM steps and placing vinyl sheets to protect the side sills from the mounts. Bah! So lost... Wish the brackets would be re-released sooner than later.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just read on the HandA thread that the redesign is now available. I am happy b/c this side step has been a pain in my side....hahaha
I was tempted to just take them off and sell em...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read on the HandA thread that the redesign is now available. I am happy b/c this side step has been a pain in my side....hahaha
I was tempted to just take them off and sell em...
Awesome! I was hesitant to buy a whole new set too. The passenger step has scratches, but that can be easily covered w/ paint or something.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Awesome! I was hesitant to buy a whole new set too. The passenger step has scratches, but that can be easily covered w/ paint or something.
use bed liner on them they will look kool

1 - 20 of 24 Posts