Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my new Kumho Solus KR21 (235/60/17) put on a couple weeks ago. I had a vibration in the car so I took it back to get em rebalanced. He said he'd do the front first since you can usually feel a vibration in the front the most. So he rebalanced but they weren't off too much. Went out on the highway and still a vibration. Took it back in and the rear drivers side was off by 1 GRAM!!! That's like a paper clip!! I couldn't believe that that small of an amount could throw the tire off so much. He said 1/2 gram would cause a vibration and 2 Grams would feel like your tire is about to fall off. So if you feel a vibration check for a screw or nail or something stuck in the tire since that could throw off the weight enough to vibrate!

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not only is it equal to a paper clip, it's the small paper clips that weigh a gram.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
All of the pebbles that get picked up in the tire tread would constantly throw your balance off.

I do remember taping a d-cell battery to the inside of someones wheel before to get back at them for something.;-) That really shook the heck out of that car.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno he said gram several times. Maybe he did mean an ounce. I dunno. Either way it doesn't take much to throw it off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
12,179 Posts
The weights we have at our shop come in the following sizes:

Steel Wheels (ounces)

.25 .50 .75 1.00 1.25 1.50 1.75 2.00

Alloy (Grams)

5 10 15 25 30 35 40

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Or he could've said "dram" which about an eighth of an ounce. We run in to those sometimes but I can't imagine a dram causing a balance problem unless he was talking about a dram of pot.

Hey! Does anyone still use lead wheel weights? I just happened to notice that the weights on my E look like little plastic housings with who knows what inside. I guess I'm either getting behind the times or all the scrap lead I've been collecting over the years ought to be worth something sooner or later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts