Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy

OK, so I have purchased a 1" front lift from Aerogenics in order to level my E from the 1/2" spacers I already put on the rear. Long story short, I had my own spacers made at work and didn't realize that they'd raise the rear a full inch.

I am going to splurge this time and buy the tires I really want - the Michelin LTX Defender. I have always wanted a set, and have sorta cheaped out in the past. I'm used to having light truck tires AT on it in the stock size. ATs are noisy, and haven't lasted long for me.

I have read alot about tire sizes on the Element. I have RamblerDan's cheet sheet (thanks Dan!) Only problem is consolidating all the information that is out there.

It WAS my intent to do 225/75R16 (stock steelies) this time, but seem to be having trouble finding them in the Michelin LTX. Not sure why, maybe it's a popular size.

I have read that 225/75R16 fits without rubbing (unless it's a knobbier AT like BFG) and also 235/70R16.

How about 235/75R16? Does it rub on the shock tower or any other location?

Is it true that rubbing on the shock tower is the limiting factor to larger diameter tires?

Does it take wheel spacers to eliminate with stock steel wheels, and if so, how thick a spacer?

I know that 235/75R16 is a bit of a stretch. I think it would be cool, but I'm not positive that the lift kit is going to work for me either. I'd hate to decide to remove the lift and then have a set of tires I can't use.

But if I understand correctly, the mere 1" lift won't help the tire size situation. Seems to be limited by the shock tower.

Lastly, I bought one camber bolt for each side in front. Will that correct the camber for 1" lift, or do I need to have two camber bolts per side?

Thanks,

CM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so I have learned that for whatever reason, at least where I'm buying the Michelins, there are NO 225/75R16s. She could not find them in that size really at all, which sorta confirmed what I had found googling.

They have a few sets of 235/70R16s, so at this point I think it is the path of least resistance.

I will not have an opportunity to try them on my car. I have to buy them in a few days (before they are sold out), won't have my wheels back from paint for 2-3 weeks. Will swing by and have them installed on wheels on my way home (painter and tire place an hour from home)

So I guess that's sort of figured out, unless somebody has any information for me. I suppose that this is a far safer bet than going with 235/75R16 which is a pretty major change.

1" front lift is on the way, and I'll install the camber bolts at that time.

Does anybody know should the camber bolts go on the top or the bottom? Or, should I have gotten camber bolts for both top and botttom?

Thanks a bunch

CM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't help on the camber bolts but I ran the 235s on my Element and found only about 3/8" clearance in the front between the bottom of the spring plate on the strut and the rubber. I did notice as the camber changed on the rear there were some spots where the tire just barely rub the body on the inside. I never did see any damage to the tires. I ended up going back to the stock size with the Defender MS and I'm glad I did. The experiment with the 235s to get better mileage failed. The 215s work better for me.

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
187 Posts
Colonel,
Regarding the camber bolts.
Normally you only need 1 per side, If your looking for more camber adjustment...you would run 2 per side.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Manny.

OK, well my wheels are done being powdercoated and my tires are being installed on Friday. P235/70R16 MICHELIN X LT A/S TIRE.

I got 1" front spacers from Aerogenics, they are nice and very well made - and don't require the studs in the strut to be replaced. I have the camber bolts and will probably be installing the front lift sometime next week. This week, lots of winter prep needs to be happening while we have good weather, but I'm almost "done". At least until I figure some other changes need to be made.

CM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy All,

OK so before heading out of town for a week, I got the front 1" spacers and camber bolts installed. That was a much easier job than adding the 1/2" spacers to the rear.

It seems to have leveled the vehicle. I don't have to climb up and it's actually easier to get out which is nice.

Got my powder-coated steelies back with new Michelin rubber on them. I guess I think I'm keeping the car a while. I had to adjust the left rear camber to keep the tire from hard rubbing. I also need to do the right rear but not as much.

Today I need to take 10 minutes and see if the camber bolts were enough. I have them adjusted for max positive camber but they still look like there's a small amount of positive camber. I was really hoping to avoid using two camber bolts.

A few things.... My brakes got seemingly hot from quite a short trip. I've done brakes many times and till I googled this I had never heard of "bedding" the brakes. New brakes are ceramic powerstop. I will follow their procedure.

The ride seems to be really rough, particularly in the rear. I replaced the rear OEM springs with MOOG replacements. There was no information saying these were anything other than "OEM replacements" but they are def stiff. I carry more weight than the normal person, but not trying to turn it into a 3/4 ton element either. Not looking forward to replacing them again if these don't loosen up.

When I parked my car months ago, there was a myriad of vibrations and sounds. I think my tires were bad and now that's fixed. I replaced the CV shafts with some from rock auto that were middle priced ..... And I'm hearing some vibration that I don't want.

Is it possible to rebuild the OEM? I don't know that any of them had a problem, but I replaced them because I didn't want to have to crawl under the car and do this again. I chopped one of the rears to use as a hub puller, but I have the other 3. I have a 20 ton press.

What about the "propeller shaft"? Can the ujoints be replaced?

Thanks

CM

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
675 Posts
You can get new axle components from Honda. Check out Raxles, they rebuild OEM (only) axles; kinda pricey though. According to Honda, the propeller shaft is not servicable. I pulled a used spare (also a rear differential, looking for a spare transfer case) from a salvage yard just in case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get new axle components from Honda. Check out Raxles, they rebuild OEM (only) axles; kinda pricey though. According to Honda, the propeller shaft is not servicable. I pulled a used spare (also a rear differential, looking for a spare transfer case) from a salvage yard just in case.
Thanks for the info. Once I get an alignment I'll do some driving and see if it's something I can live with or not. Being an engineer, I'm going to say it'll probably drive me nuts.

At least I have parts for 3 of 4 axles.

On the propeller shaft, did you happen to notice if the u joint caps are removable? Seems like could be a matter of finding the right size ujoint, similar to finding a bearing?

CM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the camber, I took some measurements of the front with my semi wonky rig consisting of 6 strong magnets, a plumbing coupler I faced in my lathe, a steel plate, and a digital angle finder.

Psgr side is 89.4, and Drvr side is 89.0. This is with my contraption attached to the hub thru the wheel, with vehicle weight on the wheels.

I guess in proper terminology it's positive camber (leaning out) by +0.6 deg and +1.0 deg, respectively.

So I guess psgr side is just out of spec by 0.1 deg, and drvr side is out by 0.5 degrees

When I installed the 1" spacers up front from Aerogenics, I installed an AC Delco camber bolt which at max can adjust 1.3 degrees. I have it set to reduce by the maximum already. I used the angle gauge to be sure it was going the right way.

I'd sure like it to at least be within spec.

How to I get it there from here?

Are there any camber bolts that have more correction than 1.3 degrees?

Any tricks to milk just a little more out of them?

Thanks

CM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts