Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am reading the owners manual on our new Element and to my suprise I read that the oil should be changed on 10000 mile intervals. My first reaction is :?:

Then I sit and think well maybe what would be there advantage of saying this - why risk ruining Hondas good name. The obvious answer is to increase the sale of parts however the short term gain seems to be not worth the long term possible loss -

then it occurs to me (this is not a revalation that I came to on my own - I debated with many of car guys about this before reaching my final conclusion)

The internal combustion engine is much better then it used to be - an engine that is taken good care of can easily reach 300,000 miles now (in the late eighties this was true of very very few cars) however we live in a society that still considers any car with over 50000 miles to be of high mileage - new car manufactorers are taking advantage of this by manipulating you into mistreating your engine which in turn leads you to purchasing another car and a diminshed used car market (maybe not diminished but not nearly as saturated as it would be if we actually took care of our cars)

So the moral of the story is take good care of your new vehicle and it will take good care of you (dont be suprised when you see that odometer spin over 300000 - oh wait it wont spin but it will still read) and even if you plan on getting rid of your car after four yrs then do it for the person who buys your car after you - and the standards of taking care of an engine are still true oil change every 3000 miles will extend the life of your vehicle

·
Registered
155 Posts
In fact here in the US where it's long been common for oil-changes to be done at 3,000 mile intervals it seems odd, even improbable, that 10,000 mile intervals is recommended. But in fact in Europe (and Japan I think), over the past 10 years or so engines have been developed specifically to cope well with longer and longer service intervals and 10,000 miles isn't unusual at all.

Personally, I might be inclined to change my oil more frequently than that, but I think Honda can be trusted to recommend appropriate servicing schedules for it's vehicles. It just wouldn't pay for them to give bad information.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All of the Car companies do NOT work together. Isn't that obvious, Honda is up 40% and the others are way down.

Why would a manufacturer tarnish it's excellent reputation by recommending "maintenance" that would ruin their product,
their name, and their future?

Not a lot of support for your theory.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm going to change my oil every 4-4500 miles ( I do mostly hwy driving). I'm a 3 honda car family and I can tell you that Honda service interval estimates also keeps their projected maintenance costs for ownership down. There have been service issues with Accords valve noise and wear which many believe tied to oil change issues.

Another interesting study done about 1-2 years ago involved New York City cabs. They took two brand new cabs (exact same models), disassembled the engines and measured all of the wearing parts. They reassembled them and closely monitored the 2 cabs. One cab's oil was changed every 3000 miles, the other cab's oil was changed every 5000 miles. At 100,000 miles both cabs were again disassembled and all engine wearing parts were again measured (remember they had baseline measurements of both brand new cars). This study found absolutely NO Differences in wear and no differences in repair costs. My last Plymouth mini-van (Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 engine under the hood)got its oil changed on average about 4-4500 miles. I got rid of it with 150,000 miles on it. Never had any engine or mechanical issues besides routine maintenance. If you feel better spending your hard earned money IMO unneccessarily, go ahead. Some people won't have peace of mind and are genuinely scared by the motor oil companies propaganda to help drive their profits. Changing your oil definately won't hurt your car, but it will just about double your oil change bills over the life of the car.

ex. Element driven 150,000 miles over it's life with original owner.

Oil change average cost =$21

150,000 miles divided by oil change every 3000 = 50 oil changes x $21
= $1,050

150,000 miles divided by oil change every 5000 miles = 30 oil changes x $21
= $630

·
Registered
204 Posts
I love this religious debate, complete with conspiracy theories on both sides. It's a (semi)-free country, do whatever the heck you want. I personally come down on the side of doing what is recommended.

I have the experience of two Honda accords that both went over 300k miles with by-the-book maintenance, and two BMW's (which have viscosity instrumentation) and compute service interval based on how the car is driven, and never had a lick of trouble with any of them. So, I may be lucky, but I am going to continue to use the method that has worked for me.

Now, back to point/counterpoint.

:wink:

-jdef

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See the whole why would hoda tarnish there name thing was the exact same argument I was using before however it makes sence once you think about in these terms

Even with all of todays advancements an engine with 100000 miles on it is considered high mileage - why? We are seeing more and more cars with the capability to reach 300000 miles every year - when giving oil reccomendations me thinks that they are basing it on the averge life on a vehicle and not the potential life of the vehicle - I say change the oil every three thousand miles take good care of the body - and boy does Honda make it easy in this case - and see how many miles you can reach. To those of you - which more then likely is 99% of us - who just plan on trading it in in 4 yrs then yes I think it is dumb to change your oil as frequently as I plan on doing - but for those of you who have bought this car for the long haul I reccomend you go at it and change every 3000.

For those of you who are in it for the long haul and dont listen to my advice lets check in every 50000 and prove to ourselves for once and for all which side is using the propoganda - my thoughts are that long after your vehicle hits the junkyards mine will still be on the road - and if that isnt the case then I am willing to accept my losses

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2002 Mercedes had it's 1st scheduled oil change at 10K as well (sadly it never reached it). I think this is a common trend among automakers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's a trend because - the RESEARCH supports it.

People just inherently resist change.

This is not your Daddy's Honda.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts