Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Element EX (Blue)
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so I got my radio and I need help with how to connect the harnesses! To the right is the car harness and the left is the radio harness. I’m especially confused on the speaker wires (green gray and purple), the blue antenna/amplifier wire (really how to hook up the amp as a whole), and the subwoofer connection.
The harness:

Stereo Harness Diagram:

Car Harness Diagram:

Thank you for any input, you guys are the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
88 Posts
Alrighty so I got my radio and I need help with how to connect the harnesses! To the right is the car harness and the left is the radio harness. I’m especially confused on the speaker wires (green gray and purple), the blue antenna/amplifier wire (really how to hook up the amp as a whole), and the subwoofer connection.
The harness:
View attachment 209215
Stereo Harness Diagram:
View attachment 209216
Car Harness Diagram:
View attachment 209217
Thank you for any input, you guys are the best!
Don't know if this will help but check out this video from 5 Star stereo in Florida. They are installing a new head unit and backup camera while keeping factory sub. Hope this helps.

YouTube stereo Install

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update - I did it 😂

I just went with my gut and everything functioned perfectly first try. Still have to mount it, but it looks so oem I love it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok so I’m not happy with the speaker connection. The car harness came with rca plugs but the stereo harness just had the bare wires. I used the aux out rca plug, but then only one set of speakers work and it takes up the one aux out they gave me. So can I (1) add female rca plugs onto the radio wires or (2) cut the rca plugs off of the car harness to directly solder to the radio harness?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I’m not happy with the speaker connection. The car harness came with rca plugs but the stereo harness just had the bare wires. I used the aux out rca plug, but then only one set of speakers work and it takes up the one aux out they gave me. So can I (1) add female rca plugs onto the radio wires or (2) cut the rca plugs off of the car harness to directly solder to the radio harness?
View attachment 209309
View attachment 209310
Update: these look like exactly what I need
ALEKOR Phono RCA Female Jack to AV Screw Terminal Audio Video Adapter Speaker Wire to RCA Connector - 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JH55JH...abc_AZ95G38JA6SRH1R0N2Q5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
435 Posts
Update: these look like exactly what I need
ALEKOR Phono RCA Female Jack to AV Screw Terminal Audio Video Adapter Speaker Wire to RCA Connector - 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JH55JH...abc_AZ95G38JA6SRH1R0N2Q5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
That looks like a great option! Given your options from 1 hour ago, I would have said add the female RCAs... So this goes well with what you found...
I'm not great at electrical stuff, but my experience with Metra connectors at some new speakers was PAINLESS... and super easy.

Brad

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks like a great option! Given your options from 1 hour ago, I would have said add the female RCAs... So this goes well with what you found...
I'm not great at electrical stuff, but my experience with Metra connectors at some new speakers was PAINLESS... and super easy.

Brad
Ah thank you for confirming. Now I’m confident 😂

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
99 Posts
I think some of the confusion comes down to the wiring harness you purchased for your vehicle since there are actually two models of wiring harness for the element.

With rca

Without rca

The adapter that you have there with the RCA jacks is for the element that has the premium sound system with the subwoofer and the amplifier that is next to the blower motor on the passenger side.

Those RCA jacks are preamp and if you attach the head unit speaker cables by cutting and splicing or adapting directly to the RCA jacks and you do have the system with the amplifier, you will likely blow the amplifier because preamp Jacks are not supposed to receive Amplified signals.

Now if you do not have the premium sound system which is just a head unit and then four door speakers as I understand it, (mine has the aub and amp) then there is a different wiring adapter that you need to purchase that does not have RCA jacks so you can just connect the speaker wires from the head unit directly to the speaker wires.

One other thing I will note to you that makes analysis and Diagnostics of your particular issue very difficult is that you did not provide any imagery of what the back of your head unit looks like, so if there are any appropriate connections for the RCA jacks back there we oh, The Forum, are unable to know.

As I don't have an element with the basic sound system I can't be a hundred percent sure but generally speaking that is how it would be set up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think some of the confusion comes down to the wiring harness you purchased for your vehicle since there are actually two models of wiring harness for the element.

With rca

Without rca

The adapter that you have there with the RCA jacks is for the element that has the premium sound system with the subwoofer and the amplifier that is next to the blower motor on the passenger side.

Those RCA jacks are preamp and if you attach the head unit speaker cables by cutting and splicing or adapting directly to the RCA jacks and you do have the system with the amplifier, you will likely blow the amplifier because preamp Jacks are not supposed to receive Amplified signals.

Now if you do not have the premium sound system which is just a head unit and then four door speakers as I understand it, (mine has the aub and amp) then there is a different wiring adapter that you need to purchase that does not have RCA jacks so you can just connect the speaker wires from the head unit directly to the speaker wires.

One other thing I will note to you that makes analysis and Diagnostics of your particular issue very difficult is that you did not provide any imagery of what the back of your head unit looks like, so if there are any appropriate connections for the RCA jacks back there we oh, The Forum, are unable to know.

As I don't have an element with the basic sound system I can't be a hundred percent sure but generally speaking that is how it would be set up.
My element has the subwoofer and built in amp. There are no other rca jacks in the back of the head unit. So it will mess up my amp if I use the female rca attachments?

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
99 Posts
Haha i see i see. Brain fart. When i saw the one image of both cable sets that plug into the amp, for some reason it was not computing they were both to the amp and not being connected to each other. Ty.

I see the problem now. Your headunit has no pre-amp output or at least it appears that way. The aux out maybe pre-amp output, whatever rca you plugged into the adapter that makes speakers play when plugged in then yeah, that's it. You can rca y-splitter that one output so you can send it to both sets of rca jacks on the adapter, which will make all speakers play, but you loose front/back differentiation, leaving only left and right, which is fine for most needs. I've done it several times before when it was all you could do, works just fine

Dunno what the amp-c cable is. Maybe the subwoofer?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha i see i see. Brain fart. When i saw the one image of both cable sets that plug into the amp, for some reason it was not computing they were both to the amp and not being connected to each other. Ty.

I see the problem now. Your headunit has no pre-amp output or at least it appears that way. The aux out maybe pre-amp output, whatever rca you plugged into the adapter that makes speakers play when plugged in then yeah, that's it. You can rca y-splitter that one output so you can send it to both sets of rca jacks on the adapter, which will make all speakers play, but you loose front/back differentiation, leaving only left and right, which is fine for most needs. I've done it several times before when it was all you could do, works just fine

Dunno what the amp-c cable is. Maybe the subwoofer?
So I have to split the aux out? I can’t add the rca to the green purple white and grey wires that came with my stereo? I really appreciate your help, as a teen I am very new to this and just don’t want to fry anything 😅 I’ll add that if it won’t harm anything, I would prefer to add on the rca plugs more than anything because that seems like the most do-able for me 🙂

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
99 Posts
As i said, no you cannot. or rather you can, nothing is stopping you from adapting it, but the results will be bad to terrible. I should know, i have done it before. At low volume , ie low power output it may work and be acceptible but not well. At higher volume, i.e higher power output it will distort out horribly and could damage the amp.

Remember, those cables for the speakers coming out of the head unit are powered by the amlifier built into the head unit, then the higher the volume, the more power those cables output. They make filters for that if you have no other alternative but to connect things that way, but they are expensive, far more expensive than a splitter.

I don't see why you are concerned about the split. That is the easy method. FAR easier than splicing RCA cables to regular cables. It is like $5 a splitter or less. You can split a pre-amp signal as much as you want to send it to as many devices as you want to play that signal out of. Split one to 2, easy. 1 to 4, fine, why not. 1 to 10, sure, if you have the amplified splitter so there is not too much signal loss.

Here, less: yueton 4pcs RCA Y Splitter Adapter 2 Female to 1 Male for Audio Video Av Tv Cable Convert

Promise, just split the Aux out signal with those or better (remember, you need 1 male to split to 2 female to make your connections. male end connects to aux out and makes 1 rca female plug into 2 rca female plugs). Do that for each side, with red being right and while being left, (unless i have it backwards on the colors haha) and all your speakers will be playing in no time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As i said, no you cannot. or rather you can, nothing is stopping you from adapting it, but the results will be bad to terrible. I should know, i have done it before. At low volume , ie low power output it may work and be acceptible but not well. At higher volume, i.e higher power output it will distort out horribly and could damage the amp.

Remember, those cables for the speakers coming out of the head unit are powered by the amlifier built into the head unit, then the higher the volume, the more power those cables output. They make filters for that if you have no other alternative but to connect things that way, but they are expensive, far more expensive than a splitter.

I don't see why you are concerned about the split. That is the easy method. FAR easier than splicing RCA cables to regular cables. It is like $5 a splitter or less. You can split a pre-amp signal as much as you want to send it to as many devices as you want to play that signal out of. Split one to 2, easy. 1 to 4, fine, why not. 1 to 10, sure, if you have the amplified splitter so there is not too much signal loss.

Here, less: yueton 4pcs RCA Y Splitter Adapter 2 Female to 1 Male for Audio Video Av Tv Cable Convert

Promise, just split the Aux out signal with those or better (remember, you need 1 male to split to 2 female to make your connections. male end connects to aux out and makes 1 rca female plug into 2 rca female plugs). Do that for each side, with red being right and while being left, (unless i have it backwards on the colors haha) and all your speakers will be playing in no time.
(If this is a double response something weird happened my b lol) Oh wow it’s literally something you just have to plug in 😅 I thought I had to add wiring or something! Thank you so much for your help! While I have you, I’m gonna double check on what I’m doing here. So I buy those spliters, plug the red into red and white into white and then plug in white and green car harness to the white adapter and purple and grey into red adapter. I also have an aux cord plug in, is there a way to triple split?

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
99 Posts
Basically, yep :D. Now, just read the back of the packaging for the color code of the rca as to which is right and left and plug in.

I also have an aux cord plug in - Not sure what you mean by this. It's aux. it is either in (reciving a signal frrom an ipod headphone jack, or any other 3.5mm jack thingy ouputing sound) or out (like sending the pre-amplified signal to an amplifier). If you are asking if you can split the aux in so that for example, one input comes from the built in aux port in the car, and another comes from some other device you have hidden or bring out occasionally and dont want it jacked in ther, but have another cable for it tucked away somewhere, sure you can do that. just don;t have both devices providing input via the aut input at the same time, massive distortion as the signals collide.

But, like i said in the previous post, yeah you can split as much as you want. It all depends on how long the run is after being split as to whether or not the signal can get there. if a short run like you have here, np, split away. if longer like 50+ feet, you need an amplified splitter, but that is like the tech powering the TV walls at big box stores and whatnot so they all show the same audio and video. same idea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Basically, yep :D. Now, just read the back of the packaging for the color code of the rca as to which is right and left and plug in.

I also have an aux cord plug in - Not sure what you mean by this. It's aux. it is either in (reciving a signal frrom an ipod headphone jack, or any other 3.5mm jack thingy ouputing sound) or out (like sending the pre-amplified signal to an amplifier). If you are asking if you can split the aux in so that for example, one input comes from the built in aux port in the car, and another comes from some other device you have hidden or bring out occasionally and dont want it jacked in ther, but have another cable for it tucked away somewhere, sure you can do that. just don;t have both devices providing input via the aut input at the same time, massive distortion as the signals collide.

But, like i said in the previous post, yeah you can split as much as you want. It all depends on how long the run is after being split as to whether or not the signal can get there. if a short run like you have here, np, split away. if longer like 50+ feet, you need an amplified splitter, but that is like the tech powering the TV walls at big box stores and whatnot so they all show the same audio and video. same idea.
Awesome. Thank you so much, you have most definitely saved my amp! 😂

to clear up the aux thing the aux plug I have looks like this:

that plugs into the aux out? That would make life easy 😂

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
99 Posts
That plugs into the aux in. That is the adapter from the aux import jack on the passenger side dashboard

1 - 20 of 128 Posts