Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to update the interior of my E with a new head unit, so I chose the biggest one :) I purchased this 10.1" screen on Amazon for about $100. The installation was a little tricky because it required some custom brackets but it looks almost OEM all said and done. I was able to retain the factory 7 speaker amp and aux port. Super happy with the install so far and can't believe what $100 will get you these days! For anyone wondering my shifter surround and steering wheel parts are wrapped.
20200115_150711.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,015 Posts
I wanted to update the interior of my E with a new head unit, so I chose the biggest one :) I purchased this 10.1" screen on Amazon for about $100. The installation was a little tricky because it required some custom brackets but it looks almost OEM all said and done. I was able to retain the factory 7 speaker amp and aux port. Super happy with the install so far and can't believe what $100 will get you these days! For anyone wondering my shifter surround and steering wheel parts are wrapped. View attachment 203001
Nice Work! Looks like it always belonged there! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah for sure: https://www.amazon.com/Hikity-Android-Bluetooth-Receiver-Support/dp/B07VGR5Z4R/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=10.1+android+head+unit&qid=1580929078&sr=8-2

The stock interface on these Chinese head units are really bad, but everything can be customized with apps. Installing a new Android launcher like Agama will transform the look.

Below is a picture of the stock brackets I cut to hold the head unit in place. The size of the screen bezel perfectly fits in between the E's trim pieces on the front with this little modification. If I used a dash kit and the brackets as the manufactures intended it wouldn't fit in between the trim pieces as nicely (sticks out 1/2").

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah for sure: https://www.amazon.com/Hikity-Android-Bluetooth-Receiver-Support/dp/B07VGR5Z4R/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=10.1+android+head+unit&qid=1580929078&sr=8-2

The stock interface on these Chinese head units are really bad, but everything can be customized with apps. Installing a new Android launcher like Agama will transform the look.
Thanks!

The description says it only works with Android 4.0-7.0. I'm running Android 10. :confused:

Amazon also linked to a newer version, if that makes a difference to anyone reading this.
Still the same Android versions though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

The description says it only works with Android 4.0-7.0. I'm running Android 10. :confused:

Amazon also linked to a newer version, if that makes a difference to anyone reading this.
Still the same Android versions though.
I am running Android 10 on a Samsung galaxy s10. No problems for me! bluetooth pairs instantly. The android compatibility is likely referring to the screen sharing feature but it's not useful at all. The feature is supposed to mirror your phone screen to the car stereo but you can't control your phone through it... so its completely useless.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is there any chance it could fit in between the vertical uprights of the silver bezel surround? I am VERY tempted to do the same on my E.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using some unconventional mounting methods allowed me to do so. It looks made for the oem trim. I've had people think my car was 10 years newer with this head unit.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element LX AWD 5MT
8 Posts
No apple car play. You can use your phone with Bluetooth connection as well as Hotspot and download the respective app you need in the Google play store

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element LX AWD 5MT
8 Posts
No apple car play. You can use your phone with Bluetooth connection as well as Hotspot and download the respective app you need in the Google play store
After sending you that message, i guess there is a workaround. went to XDA forums and saw this post. there is a usb dongle that can enable carplay on your display.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just did this install. really changed the entire feeling of my element. if anybody is hesitant, dont be! very straightforward, super awesome. basically turns your element into a huge tablet. thanks for the inspiration noah b. i got the head unit for $106 and the wiring harness for $8 on amazon. im in north seattle area, we have xfinity internet service here with random ‘hotspots’ all around. i downloaded the xfinity hotspots app on my new head unit,
logged in, now my car randomly gets wifi everywhere. actually a super crazy experience. like i said, changed the feeling of the interior of the car. agama is $2 on google play store for those curious and really is the finishing touch. there is a 30 day trial. cool launcher. stock ui really is crap lol. now i need an 8” sub/amp combo! my son already loves watching frozen 2 on disney+ while we wait for mom to shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just did this install. really changed the entire feeling of my element. if anybody is hesitant, dont be! very straightforward, super awesome. basically turns your element into a huge tablet. thanks for the inspiration noah b. i got the head unit for $106 and the wiring harness for $8 on amazon. im in north seattle area, we have xfinity internet service here with random ‘hotspots’ all around. i downloaded the xfinity hotspots app on my new head unit,
logged in, now my car randomly gets wifi everywhere. actually a super crazy experience. like i said, changed the feeling of the interior of the car. agama is $2 on google play store for those curious and really is the finishing touch. there is a 30 day trial. cool launcher. stock ui really is crap lol. now i need an 8” sub/amp combo! my son already loves watching frozen 2 on disney+ while we wait for mom to shop.
These all look amazing. I have been thinking about upgrading my deck to exactly these.

Whats the wiring harness you guys used? Canadian amazon doesn't show one for the EX. One of the comments even say it doesn't complete the install due to the tweeters in the A pillar. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These all look amazing. I have been thinking about upgrading my deck to exactly these.

Whats the wiring harness you guys used? Canadian amazon doesn't show one for the EX. One of the comments even say it doesn't complete the install due to the tweeters in the A pillar. Thanks in advance.
Metra 70-7863 Amplifier Retention Wire Harness for 2003-2011 Honda Element
Link to the wire harness:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YTNRRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_n.y2EbJHS7QED

My tweeters work just fine with this stereo. The EX has a separate amp tucked inside the dash that feeds the tweeters and sub.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
@grilledcheese or @Noah B Do you feel like it gets in the way of the upper vents or the climate control knobs? I've been toying with getting a 10 inch, but I really don't want to be accidentally hitting the screen when blindly reach for the the A/C knobs (which, in AZ, is pretty much all the time, seeing if the A/C can go up just one more notch).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts