Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to update the interior of my E with a new head unit, so I chose the biggest one :) I purchased this 10.1" screen on Amazon for about $100. The installation was a little tricky because it required some custom brackets but it looks almost OEM all said and done. I was able to retain the factory 7 speaker amp and aux port. Super happy with the install so far and can't believe what $100 will get you these days! For anyone wondering my shifter surround and steering wheel parts are wrapped. View attachment 203001
How did you get that in your car I have a 2008 honda element and I cant see how to install I'm about to return it but I would love to keep if I can fit it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How did you get that in your car I have a 2008 honda element and I cant see how to install I'm about to return it but I would love to keep if I can fit it.
only return it if your not confident in your problem solving! you got this! just pop off the dash surround, disconnect the hazard switch and the climate controls. makes everything a million times easier to visualize and understand. your gonna have to get creative on the mounts, i trimmed mine and flipped them opposite of the install instructions.

this pic from noah b on page 1 is as clear as it gets.

the trim just pops off with your hands. took me about an hour to install the whole thing. worth every second and penny. take your time and ask questions here if you need help. first thing is take your dash apart and just look at it. pretty obvious once everything is open and accessible. godspeed and good luck! its easy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case I just removed the old radio and fashioned 2 metal l brackets which I screwed into to old faceplate. The new radio sits on the clips and is secured with velcro at the top corners. Everything is concealed so it looks great.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Element EX (Blue)
15 Posts
Hey guys! So I am looking to get one of these for my E, however I am completely new to anything like this. You guys seem to be super knowledgeable so here are my questions! (Starred questions are the most important to me)

1. How easy was wiring the backup camera? How did you wire it to the parking brake light? How did you mount it?
2. *What exactly do I need to buy besides the unit?
3. How do you get the Honda emblem screen?
4. *Is there any weird wired connections (like any colors that don’t match up)?
5. Where did you stick the usb cord?
6. *How to wire in the subwoofer?
7. *Does it work fine with a newer iPhone (I have the 12)
8. *Do you need storage? Should I get the bigger storage size?
9. *The mounting looks tricky. I saw one person drilled into the oem silver radio frame. Is that the way to go?
10. *Is it worth connecting to your steering wheel? If so do you need any special adapters?
11. I heard there’s a way to display a pretty cool screen that reads your speed, mpg, etc. Anyone figure out how to get that hooked up?

There we go! Enlighten me where you can, I appreciate all feedback!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have yet to install in the Honda Element so take my answer with a grain of salt.

1) This head unit has a video in option. backup cameras usually have a video cable that will plug right in. You'll need to wire up a power wire as well.
2) head unit, adapter harness from HU to oem wiring. Does your E have the stock amp/subwoofer? you'll need RCA jacks if so. If you want a backup camera, you'll need the backup camera and possibly a longer video cord. Heat shrink, electrical tape, zip ties. If you don't know how to solder then solderless crimp connectors for ~18-22AWG wires.
3) I believe you need to download the app they reference in the thread. Then you can upload custom files.
4) Buy the adapter harness, read the documentation for both and this install it should be pretty clear.
5) up to you. There is a AUX to USB DIY here.
6) Search the forum, lots of good detailed radio installs. The one I linked above is pretty self-explanatory once you get the parts in hand.
7) This is an Android unit so I would assume not all iPhone functions are supported.
8) ???? storage for what? more drive space? Up to you. Can always add USB storage.
9) You can buy install kits but drilling the oem frame is perfectly acceptable as well
10) up to you. More complexity and probably limited functionality.
11) This is another app that can be downloaded and connected to the OBDII port. This would give you all the info that the OBDII/CANbus system gives.

Search youtube for some good general DIYs as well. While the systems may be different, a lot of the wiring is standardized if you get adapter harnesses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have yet to install in the Honda Element so take my answer with a grain of salt.

1) This head unit has a video in option. backup cameras usually have a video cable that will plug right in. You'll need to wire up a power wire as well.
2) head unit, adapter harness from HU to oem wiring. Does your E have the stock amp/subwoofer? you'll need RCA jacks if so. If you want a backup camera, you'll need the backup camera and possibly a longer video cord. Heat shrink, electrical tape, zip ties. If you don't know how to solder then solderless crimp connectors for ~18-22AWG wires.
3) I believe you need to download the app they reference in the thread. Then you can upload custom files.
4) Buy the adapter harness, read the documentation for both and this install it should be pretty clear.
5) up to you. There is a AUX to USB DIY here.
6) Search the forum, lots of good detailed radio installs. The one I linked above is pretty self-explanatory once you get the parts in hand.
7) This is an Android unit so I would assume not all iPhone functions are supported.
8) ???? storage for what? more drive space? Up to you. Can always add USB storage.
9) You can buy install kits but drilling the oem frame is perfectly acceptable as well
10) up to you. More complexity and probably limited functionality.
11) This is another app that can be downloaded and connected to the OBDII port. This would give you all the info that the OBDII/CANbus system gives.

Search youtube for some good general DIYs as well. While the systems may be different, a lot of the wiring is standardized if you get adapter harnesses.
Wow! You are incredible! Thanks so much for your help. The unit is coming in tomorro. For the sub I bought male to female jumper wires: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD1R5MS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1D4A9NZ211D0BTKG7Y9F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 do you suggest the rca jack over the jumpers? Also that thread you linked about radio installation won’t show any pictures for some reason. Thank you so much for your help, it is so kind of you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
edit - This head unit only has one RCA-out pair. So there's a couple ways you could do this but the easiest way being...

You wire the speaker wires to the OEM Harness adapter speaker wires like in pic1.
Use one of your breadboard wires there to connect the subwoofer pin in pic2 to the subwoofer line like in pic1. Use a t-splitter connector

From: How to Wire Aftermarket Radio to Factory Amp | Honda Element Owners Club
Pic1:

From page 2 of this thread
Pic 2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I did it! Just full on went for it lol. And believe it or not, it all functions!

I soldered all of the power wires and then plugged the speaker wires in as follows:

car’s green purple gray and white wires into radio red and white wires (x2) car Subwoofer white wire into radio green.

If there is anything seriously wrong with how I hooked it up please lmk 😂 as far as I know everything is functioning! It also has no issues with my iPhone 12 (it said only 7 and below) It sounds INCREDIBLE, I swear it’s better than the stock radio. I downloaded the Agama launcher which I love, adds an oem feel and added displays like time, date, and current outside temp. If you are debating on whether to purchase this or not, I would 100% say go for it. I love it so far!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts