Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some other posts on homemade cold air intake systems. Here's what I came up with. I took a 4" 22 degree plastic electrical conduit elbow (available @ Home Depot or Lowes). Removed the stock box contraption (must remove battery to remove box), fitted the elbow (cut about 4" off the small end and 2" off the bell end) fabricated a mounting tab to mount on the stock hole, painted it textured black and installed it. This way I keep my stock full size K&N filter, provide the engine with some cool outside the engine compartment air, cleaned up the engine compartment of some weight and clutter, added about 10% more Db @ WOT over stock, all without spending $200 for an aftermarket kit that causes MIL issues on 07 ups from what I've read.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
3" or 4"? Looks more like 3". What section do they sell that in? I searched all over before and all I could find was plumbing and air duct stuff that didn't quite work (close, no cigar).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emp

OK, I think it's 3". It's EMP gray plastic conduit. Think of the plastic pipe that contains the wires going into electric meters. It comes in 22 and 90 degree bends and can be formed with a heat gun.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
looks very nice. Very OEM if you ask me and much more bang for the buck!!!

I may be following your lead on this one.;-)

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, I think it's 3". It's EMP gray plastic conduit. Think of the plastic pipe that contains the wires going into electric meters. It comes in 22 and 90 degree bends and can be formed with a heat gun.
Thanks. I might try that. I adapted a 4" dryer duct. Not restrictive I'm sure, but doesn't look factory.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
the code for the radio can be found on the inside edge of the driver's side door. same place as the VIN. five digit code.
It shouldn't be there. If it is there, its not from Honda.

Here is my door tag:

There is NO radio code there. Honda wouldn't put it where a thief could take
your radio and get the code at the same time. Not very smart. Post your
door tag, I'm curious to see it!!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
is there a way to remove the airbox without removing the battery??? i do not know my radio code...lol...
I haven't used in the element. But I have used a 9v square battery connected to the lighter plug to prevent the radio memory to go blank while the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
when I had this mod done on mine. all you need to do is. un bolt the ground wire from above the resonator. remove the battery bracket. squeeze the clips for the fuse box and move out of the way. you can move the battery towards the front/intake area. you should be able to sneak the resonator out. and never lose power.

btw your battery code should be the 4 digit code stuck to the inside of your glove box

and. thats a good tip with the 9v battery. they sell a kit that plugs into your lighter for that reason also

·
12,180 Posts
when I had this mod done on mine. all you need to do is. un bolt the ground wire from above the resonator. remove the battery bracket. squeeze the clips for the fuse box and move out of the way. you can move the battery towards the front/intake area. you should be able to sneak the resonator out. and never lose power.

btw your battery code should be the 4 digit code stuck to the inside of your glove box

and. thats a good tip with the 9v battery. they sell a kit that plugs into your lighter for that reason also

Actually it is a 5 digit code and not all dealers put the sticker on the glave box. Some actually put it near the tailgate. Most likely don't even put it on the vehicle.

MIne is still in the pouch my owners manual came in.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I haven't used in the element. But I have used a 9v square battery connected to the lighter plug to prevent the radio memory to go blank while the battery is disconnected.
Dont use the 9V battery on the E. It will keep the ECU and other things
powered up. If you short something, it might fry all kinds of goodies that you
think are disconnected!!!

Just keep your radio code handy!!! Its NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!! Quit being LAZY!!
Mine is in a safe place in my house. And because I am registered on the
Honda Owners Link website, it is stored there as well!!!

Im not yelling and ranting at any one person above, its directed at all of you
that think they can get away with NOT disconnecting the battery when you
obviously should!!! :shock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didnt have to remove my battery when I did my Res removal. Just loosen and remove the little bar that holds it down and pivot the battery around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did this mod yesterday, great idea with the conduit! Painted mine with krylon fusion, and made a temporary mount with zipties until I get around to fabbing a bracket.

For the record the size conduit that fits is 2.5" and it's a 45 deg bend. The outside diameter is 3" which is exactly what the factory piece was. The ABS should be a pretty good insulator and keep intake temperatures pretty low.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi there, Everyone:

Out of curiosity, what is the value in doing this mod? More power? Better fuel economy? Preserve's life of engine?

What exactly is the benefit?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi there, Everyone:

Out of curiosity, what is the value in doing this mod? More power? Better fuel economy? Preserve's life of engine?

What exactly is the benefit?

thanks in advance.
if you dont know the mod prob isnt for you.

depending on how you drive this mod can....

increase fuel mileage
increase intake noise.

or
increase intake noise
increase performance
decrease fuel mileage

theres pros and cons of every mod out there.

stock intake setup = more low end grunt
custom tube intakes = more top end power+less low end grunt
resonator plays key roll in that.

upgrading the filter itself will give an overall boost. to either setup.

I had this mod on for like a month just a tube to fender hole. and a month with a hose from tube to inner fender.it tends to make your driving tendencies have more impact on fuel economy. if you like the noise you floor it more. if you go for economy its easier to tell how hard your pushing your car by sound.

as of now I feel the best setup is resonator in with K&N drop in filter. but this view may change and evolve over time as I try new things.

·
12,180 Posts
if you dont know the mod prob isnt for you.

increase fuel mileage
increase intake noise.

or
increase intake noise
increase performance
decrease fuel mileage

theres pros and cons of every mod out there.

stock intake setup = more low end grunt
custom tube intakes = more top end power+less low end grunt
resonator plays key roll in that.

upgrading the filter itself will give an overall boost. to either setup.

I had this mod on for like a month just a tube to fender hole. and a month with a hose from tube to inner fender.it tends to make your driving tendencies have more impact on fuel economy. if you like the noise you floor it more. if you go for economy its easier to tell how hard your pushing your car by sound.

as of now I feel the best setup is resonator in with K&N drop in filter. but this view may change and evolve over time as I try new things.

With the new found knowledge he can now decide if this mod is for him.....No harm in asking questions.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
lol I didnt mean it that way if it sounded like that. sorry if I offended

im just used to my parents....... you did so and so to your car. "should" I do it to mine. and what do I gain in doing so.

lol I get it all the time... Whats the purpose of rims. why do you need special tires. its a new car why replace that lol

my dads kinda jealous now. your leather is nicer then mine.....should I get new seats LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts