Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 1000 miles last weekend during first short road trip. Still really enjoying the E. The floor needs a good cleaning but otherwise still looks showroom new inside. Friends have all been impressed, especially with the roomy back seat and cargo area. This may be the ideal baby car (especially for those avoiding being seen driving a minivan) - LATCH system is awesome, seat goes in and out without the painful body contortions required by our VW. My wife (who is not the most nimble person in the world) can easily jump between front and back to attend to the baby if she gets fussy or visit with me once the baby is asleep. Baby also loves the sunroof, and I think she'll really like the view once she goes forward facing in a few months. Plus we have one of the larger strollers on the market and I can tip the front end up onto the tailgate and then fold it right in place without lifting or turning it, which is a huge improvement over the VW.
Only (minor) negative so far is that I'm only getting about 20 MPG, which is less than I expected. I don't really mind only getting 20, but I do think the gas tank should be bigger - I should be able to go at least 300 miles on a tank and preferably more. Can I expect any improvement as my engine breaks in more?
Also the door configuration is taking some getting used to, especially in crowded parking lots or when I have uninitiated folks along. And I have a hard time getting the AC configured to keep me comfortable - I get blasted if I set it on panel (even at the lowest setting) but if I bring it up through the defogger vents I get hot after a few minutes. Live and learn I guess.
Overall I give it a very solid A-.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just over the 1k mark in mine as well.
not having the problems that you mentioned with the a/c of course, it's been over 90 here everyday (except today) since we got ours.
the other thing you mentioned that i've seen several other places on the forum is lower than expected gas mileage. i've stayed right about the 24 mpg mark since tank 1. a lot of my driving is at highway speeds but i do have some stop and go. wonder what gives?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts