Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm still using the stock filter & airbox, all I removed was the resonator. The ribbed tube I installed goes from the stock plastic air inlet elbow up by the grille, around the battery, to the stock air box/filter.

Check my new post on exhausts, I'm looking for suggestions.

HEK - Thanks for the PM, I'll have to give that a try.

Brado

· Registered
481 Posts
oh no

actually i think you'd be better off leaving it stock...the fans are pulling fresh ambient air through the radiator and blowing it straight into the stock resonator....so this mod is really not helping any....plus with this mod there's probably more of a chance of water getting into the intake when it rains...just my thoughts

· Registered
140 Posts
kilgoja said:
actually i think you'd be better off leaving it stock...the fans are pulling fresh ambient air through the radiator and blowing it straight into the stock resonator....so this mod is really not helping any....plus with this mod there's probably more of a chance of water getting into the intake when it rains...just my thoughts
Goes with the motto "There's a reason they made it that way..."
But whatever, your car Brado!

· Registered
311 Posts
Alextreme, go with the AEM Dryflow and you won't be disappointed, Tim

· Registered
30 Posts
Brado,

From your posting...

Had my exhaust guy cut out the stock muffler and weld straight pipe in its place. Left the resonator in its place. When I pulled into the muffler shop after a 10 minute drive, and got the E on the lift, the right side of the muffler was glowing red, along with about 4" of the pipe going towards the resonator. That's way too restrictive for any vehicle.

Noise level is increased, I can actually hear my E now! At 70MPH in OD, it's barely noticeable that I've done anything. At idle it's noticeable, and at full acceleration it's definitely noticeable. Just driving around, accelerating "normally", it sounds like I think a 4 cylinder should sound like.

I'm going to leave it like this. I wasn't looking for noise, I was looking to increase the performance of the iVTEC. Plus, it still looks completely stock.

Cost = $22.00

My questions...

So you have been driving without a muffler? Is there any drone? Fart can sound? Faster? What size straight pipe did you connect to the resonator? Have you looked into more free flowing resonators? Happy with your mod?

I have done the intake box removal but without the intake hose from Autozone. Its nice when you step on it, but other than that you dont hear it at all. I have only been "box-less" for a day now, have you noticed any downside to this mod?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
151 Posts
i did the diy cai by taking off the resonator and putting on the flexible tube today, but i routed it to the area where a fog light would go if i had one. it makes a sort of whining noise at idle, but other than that not a real big difference. i'll leave it for a few weeks and see if the mpg goes up, if not i'll probably put everything back.

· Registered
86 Posts
I want my E to source ambient temp air vs. the hot air under the hood. I studied the drawings of the intake system, and realized how easy this would be.

1). Take off the intake resonator. This involves removing the two 10mm bolts, clearly visible, that hold it to the driver's side inner fender. Also temporarily take off the negative chassis ground (goes from neg battery post to driver's inner fender, also 10mm). Take off battery hold down clamps and move battery forwards and parallel to the radiator.

2). Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the electrical box (directly above where the resonator sits) to the fender so you can just ease this up and out of the way.

3). Remove the rubber hose between the resonator and the air filter box. It just pops off. Lift out the resonator, working it out between the battery, fender and power box.

3). Reinstall battery clamps and ground strap. Reinstall the bolt for the power box.

I then went to AutoZone and got auto intake hose, 3" id, part # P319-325. It's about 2.5 - 3' long. It slips over the inlet to the air cleaner box, then can be routed over into the driver's side fender well through the large hole where the resonator used to sit. It has little snap clips on both ends, so you can secure it to the filter box. I will probably go back with some zip ties and secure the end of the hose in the fender.

Hose cost: $11.99 and labor time of about 15 minutes.

Result: You will hear a bit of intake moan, but I like that! Not gonna make any HP gain claims, but you can understand that just making air easier for the engine to obtain has got to help some, and with the monster hot temps in Dallas during the summer, every effort to get ambient outside air vs. under the hood hot-as-hell air is a plus!

If AEM ever offers one of their CAI's for this vehicle, will probably get it. But, for now, $12 well spent!!!

called the local AZ and the part number you list was not a good number...

what is this, a flexible plastic tube similar to dryer hose???

· Premium Member
15,320 Posts
Sounds like preheater hose, flexible aluminum hose (like the bendy part of a bendy straw) used to carry hot air from an exhaust manifold shroud to the air cleaner housing on older cars. Pretty similar to aluminum dryer duct, actually.

I've also seen plastic ones that are round on one end and rectangular on the other.

· Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like preheater hose, flexible aluminum hose (like the bendy part of a bendy straw) used to carry hot air from an exhaust manifold shroud to the air cleaner housing on older cars. Pretty similar to aluminum dryer duct, actually.

I've also seen plastic ones that are round on one end and rectangular on the other.
oh snap! that reminds me of a flexible gutter downspout extension.
it just might work...
which gets me to thinking about a free flowing foam filter element(sorry for the pun!!) Uni make filter foam sheets and i bet Lowes has something i can construct a frame/ support from.

301 Posts
This is what I used.

NapaItem#: BK 7355946, BK 7355943, BK 7355944, BK 7355945

Price: $20.0
Attributes:
Product Features:For Any Air Intake Opening w/ 3.0" Dia.
Can Be used in Stock Applications or in Conjunction w/ Intake System to Bring Cold Air Into Engine
Retains Position w/ "Memory Flex"
Kit Includes 28" Ducting
Dimensions:3.0" x 28"
Material:plastic
Clamp Required:Yes

Silver is $10 more.

No one ever says what if anything is accomplished with this mod. Monitoring ScanGageII, I actually believe my AIT increased. No change in sound, not sure about acceleration (HP).

· Registered
1,957 Posts
This is what I used.

NapaItem#: BK 7355946, BK 7355943, BK 7355944, BK 7355945

Price: $20.0
Attributes:
Product Features:For Any Air Intake Opening w/ 3.0" Dia.
Can Be used in Stock Applications or in Conjunction w/ Intake System to Bring Cold Air Into Engine
Retains Position w/ "Memory Flex"
Kit Includes 28" Ducting
Dimensions:3.0" x 28"
Material:plastic
Clamp Required:Yes

Silver is $10 more.

No one ever says what if anything is accomplished with this mod. Monitoring ScanGageII, I actually believe my AIT increased. No change in sound, not sure about acceleration (HP).
I did this for a while before Injen released the 07+ CAI. So difference in sound either, there may have been a small oomph in perf.

· Registered
86 Posts
I need to see pics of this :shock:

took a paper element without the outside wire mesh you see on some of them. cut away the paper. cut a piece of UNI foam from a sheet i got at a motorcycle shop, cut to fit, sewed the seam together and used black weather strip rubber cement to seal it with, repeat with a piece of open cell foam from Uni(black).

it should last as long as any K&N and filter at least as good...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.