2009 2WD Automatic
90% of driving is less than two miles
never over 4k on tach

One road trip, all frewway got 18 mpg

·
Registered
357 Posts
:confused:do you have the parking brake on?:confused:

What is the formula you use to calculate the milage. (humor me).

·
Registered
109 Posts
check to see if all your tires have a decent air pressure..

one of mine was low last week. and it killed my mpg i hit 17mpg, when i normal get 20-21 ish. mainly all city.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
1. It's a brand new car. It'll take some time to loosen up.
2. Short trips kill milage
3. What speed are you doing on the "freeway"? There's a huge difference between 60 and 80 in this rolling fridge-mobile.
4. Did you happen to be driving up or crosswind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On fillups I usually just let it autostop then do miles divided by gallons.
On the freeway (not frewway) I drive 65 to 70.
The dealer has checked my tire pressure but the dashboard icon for tire pressure has been intermittent since I bought it.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Thank you for being up front about your driving pattern.
...90% of driving is less than two miles...
This is absolutely worst-case. The engine has little to no opportunity to get to full operating temperature, and this particular engine design sucks gas when it is running in "cold" mode.
...never over 4k on tach
Anything over 3K is not accelerating particularly gently. That alone is angering the fuel economy gods.

Frankly, given these parameters I wouldn't expect much better than what you are getting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With the frequency of small trips that you take I would keep a battery charger with you at all times as the alternator is probably having difficulty keeping your battery charged.

·
Registered
224 Posts
14mpg

2009 2WD Automatic
90% of driving is less than two miles
never over 4k on tach

One road trip, all frewway got 18 mpg
No wonder, driving less than two miles! Why not get a bike ?

·
Registered
550 Posts
The other problem with short trips like that is the engine never gets hot enough to evaporate the water in the sump. Ask me how I know this.
se

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can you tell us what you car was prior and what mileage it attained?

14MPG is low but again these guys are 100% correct. The engine can not properly warm up and until it does the engine will be using more fuel. I would heavily recommend an upper cylinder lubricant such as lucas (buy the quart for use each time you fill-up) using 2-3 oz each fill-up. Apart from that I would take a look at my signature and search ebay or google for a source for it. It will reduce friction allowing slightly higher mileage than what you have now. There is a reason Honda used it all through the 90's. Damn dems in government said it was not good for the used oil industry, so poof. If that wasn't the case Molybdenum would already be in your engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No wonder, driving less than two miles! Why not get a bike ?
Let me guess, young, childless and fully abled?

My son's school is a mile away. My friend is disabled. I have my bad days. Would you have us all hop on a bike? Not everyone is like you, sometimes that's worth a moment of consideration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My previous car was a Honda CRV that got 25 MPG on all freeway driving of 150+ miles per day.

I don't consider myself disabled but a bad heart has slowed me down. My bike riding days are over but I spent many hours commuting by bike back in the day when that branded you "weird" rather than "green".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Very true statement. I am always shocked the fit are deemed weird while the overweight are considered the norm :rolleyes:.
Speaking of that. I have people ask me all the time why I waste my money and time going to the gym (3 days a week) and eating right. My response usually is "I like to be healthy and fit! Another plus is I am able to tie my own shoes without running out of breath!" Yes overweight people ask me that at least once a week and yes thats really what I say!

Weird times we be in.:|

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
On fillups I usually just let it autostop then do miles divided by gallons.
On the freeway (not frewway) I drive 65 to 70.
The dealer has checked my tire pressure but the dashboard icon for tire pressure has been intermittent since I bought it.
I run 38 PSI in all four corners. The lower tire pressure is a compromise of the manufacturer to balance milage and ride comfort. I think the max pressure on my Michelin HydroEdges is 44 PSI. Long haul on fwy I have seen over 25 mpg...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've had consistently poor milage in the city as well (14 - 17 mpg). However, I just did a trip from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC and logged a 26.4 mpg. I can live with that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts