Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking a 4500 mile round trck to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, this August square in the face, and may be doing it in my Element towing a U-haul trailer. Projected GVW of the trailer will be 2000lbs (+/-), which is, of course, 500 or more over the "recommended" trailer GVW for towing with the E.

What I am asking any and all of you who have done this kind of thing over a long distance (1,000 mile plus) is if this is doable without ruining the elements relatively small engine or tranny?

We are looking at all options, but need to move about 125 cubic feet of gear.

Thanks in advance . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have to ask, how much does the 125 cf of gear weigh? The reason I ask is I plan on towing a cheap 4' x 8' Tractor Supply trailer I bought a couple of years ago. It is so light I can tip it up on one side if needed. I know that the U-Haul trailers are HEAVY so probably add 500lbs+ to your load.

Your 125cf of gear would fit (volume) in a 4' x 8' x 4' high box. I built a shorter box last year to haul camping gear behind a different vehicle. This year I plan on building a nicer 4' high box on my trailer frame.

The basic trailer is $350 and three sheets of Ply (plus screws, bolts etc to assemble a box) should bring the total in under $500... Or find a friend that has one:)

oh, here is the link to TrSp...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...06|14342|33977?listingPage=true&Special=false

Here is the same kind-a thing at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The Harbor Freight trailers go on sale a lot and can be purchased for under 300 easy. Depending on what it is you are towing that may be a good option for you to lighten the load. They are also very handy for hauling stuff. I love my little HF trailer.

Ignoring the part about not being legal and kosher and yadda yadda yadda as it has been covered here a lot and just answering your question directly.

Take it slow and steady.
Take frequent breaks along the trip.
Transmissions cooler.
Take it slow and steady.

I have pulled 2000lbs but not that far. The E does fine physically pulling it but watch the stopping distances and legalities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts