Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3000 mile roadtrip.

1915 Model T Speedster. 4-cylinder engine. Stock model T's had 23 horsepower, they estimate their Speedster has 55hp. They've topped out at 70 mph and get about 16 mpg, whether or not they're pulling the teardrop.

No top, no windshield.

http://www.jessicaryanphotography.com/DigitalScrapbook/Alaska2009/Alaska2009.htm

There's a lot of detail in some of the posts, some of it mundane, but it puts you in the trip.

Click on the photos -- many of them excellent -- and they enlarge.

Needless to say, if one can pull a 450-pound teardrop with a 1915 Model T, I'm not going to fret about my Model E & teardrop.

Quote from their final blog entry:

"Anyone who doubts the future of humanity needs to take a road trip in a cool old car."

:)

or our trip of a lifetime. We will take the ferry up to Whittier, Alaska. Then we will drive back to Seattle in our Model T Speedster that I built in High School. We are taking a primitive car with no top or windshield exposing us to all the elements. It wouldn’t be right to stay in hotels, so we decided we would camp the entire way home. We really want to “rough it.” I designed and built an aluminum teardrop trailer to tow behind the Model T that only weighs 450 pounds.

we had four years to prepare for our trip of a lifetime. We will take the ferry up to Whittier, Alaska. Then we will drive back to Seattle in our Model T Speedster that I built in High School. We are taking a primitive car with no top or windshield exposing us to all the elements. It wouldn’t be right to stay in hotels, so we decided we would camp the entire way home. We really want to “rough it.” I designed and built an aluminum teardrop trailer to tow behind the Model T that only weighs 450 pounds.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Another neat "vintage" road trip is the 1903 first ever cross country trip (SF -to-NYC) of an auto. Remember, there are no roads at the time :-o

The vehicle is a "Winton"; 20 hp - tops out around 30 mph.

Ken Burns did a documentary a while ago; you can view it streaming to your pc if you have a Netflix account.

I love watching this when I'm on a road trip . . . even has a dog !

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coincidentally, that DVD is in my collection.

We're such weenies now with our Interstate Highway System. When Gidget and I were preparing to drive my Miata across country in '04, I was surprised how many east coasters thought that was a "brave" journey for a woman by herself (of course, they weren't counting Gidget as any dog peop would).

West coasters, generally speaking, tend to have more long road trip experience.

Compared to my 1987 cross-country, by myself, in a 1969 Mustang with 205,000 miles already on the odometer -- and no cell phone -- the 2004 trip was luxurious and far less adventurous.

But any trip I've ever done pales in comparison to taking a 1915 Model T to Alaska, let alone Horatio's drive.

Am feeling the need to drive. But, alas, my only drive today is to the do-it-yourself dog washing facility.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They took some great photos !!

Thanks for the post - BC/Alaska road trip is still definitely on my post -retirement to-do list.

Didn't know you could "camp" (pitch a tent) on the deck of a ferry !! :grin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tenting on ferries

The Alaska Marine Highway ferrries allows tenting on the aft deck - if you have done this then you know is a once in a lifetime experience. If have done it, then you also know that weights, not stakes, are the best insurance against watching your favorite tent and all it contains flying off of the aft deck into the water in a high wind gust :grin:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just read this couple's entire trip diary, from start to finish. Makes me want to take the Element out there for a month and follow suit. Such a great read!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read this couple's entire trip diary, from start to finish. Makes me want to take the Element out there for a month and follow suit. Such a great read!
It was fun. A personal journal with much minutia.

I felt cold and soggy afterward.

Gotta hand it to them, heck of a gutsy adventure.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Great find HC

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!
I have kicked around the idea of building a "T" replicar since highschool and a small teardrop for several years now and it seems I have been thinking about it the wrong way. I need to combine the two ideas and build a model T camping car.

Now if only I could get laid off for the winter so I can get to work.:twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts