Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red 1992 Jeep Cherokee I just love (original owner) 87K miles on it and save for a sagging tailgate, auto antenna that broke around 1995, the car is beautiful. I have a 2006 Kiwi EXP with 32K miles in perfect shape. I want to trade both in for an SC, but thinking I might be better off selling them online. I have two offers of 3K for my Jeep right now. Should I sell it and then sell my '06 EXP rather than trading them both in? I hear the trade-in values for E's isn't very good. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
Trade in's are always much less then what the vehicle wholesales for.

Selling outright get's you at least loan value for a vehicle in good shape. Your 92 Jeep with only 87k is very ideal for a commute/winter/2nd vehicle for someone. Kiwi is a more rare color so there is someone out there looking for it too.

Sell them outright and you're WAY ahead of the game. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a red 1992 Jeep Cherokee I just love (original owner) 87K miles on it and save for a sagging tailgate, auto antenna that broke around 1995, the car is beautiful. I have a 2006 Kiwi EXP with 32K miles in perfect shape. I want to trade both in for an SC, but thinking I might be better off selling them online. I have two offers of 3K for my Jeep right now. Should I sell it and then sell my '06 EXP rather than trading them both in? I hear the trade-in values for E's isn't very good. Any advice would be welcome.
So what is the Jeep? 4x4 or 2wd 4 cyl or 6? The reason I ask is it might be worth $3500 to $4500 in the new Cash for Clunkers program. I don't think there is anything saying you can't trade another car in as long as only one is using the program. Go here www.cars.gov for details. might be worth a wait until July 23rd? Sell the Kiwi now and trade the jeep in the cash for clunkers program if it qualifies. It needs to get a federal government rating of 18 mpg or less for combined driving. Go here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm for that number it's the one in red after you drill down your vehicle. Good luck on your new purchase.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So what is the Jeep? 4x4 or 2wd 4 cyl or 6? The reason I ask is it might be worth $3500 to $4500 in the new Cash for Clunkers program. I don't think there is anything saying you can't trade another car in as long as only one is using the program. Go here www.cars.gov for details. might be worth a wait until July 23rd? Sell the Kiwi now and trade the jeep in the cash for clunkers program if it qualifies. It needs to get a federal government rating of 18 mpg or less for combined driving. Go here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm for that number it's the one in red after you drill down your vehicle. Good luck on your new purchase.

Dealers are throwing that nugget around on ads here now, and of course omitting the requirement for it to meet a certain MPG standard. Value will not exceed scrap value either. Not sure what the incentive of this program is.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Car must be at least 25 years old according to the first link you listed. Dealers are throwing that nugget around on ads here now, and of course omitting the requirement for it to be very old and meet a certain MPG standard. Value will not exceed scrap value either. Not sure what the incentive of this program is.
Car must be no older than 25 years not at least 25 years. And yes the Voucher will exceed scrap value. There will be two vouchers that you can get, either $3,500 or $4,500 no matter what the real or scrap value of your clunker is, its all Dependant on the type of car you buy and the amount of fuel mileage improvement you gain.

This document http://www.cars.gov/files/day-one.pdf explains it best and gives the most detail. A lot of people are confused. I have a 1996 V6 Ford Explorer 4X4 that will be going to scrap with a new E coming home:D Can't wait but I have to!:-(

·
Registered
523 Posts
Car must be no older than 25 years not at least 25 years. And yes the Voucher will exceed scrap value. There will be two vouchers that you can get, either $3,500 or $4,500 no matter what the real or scrap value of your clunker is, its all Dependant on the type of car you buy and the amount of fuel mileage improvement you gain.

This document http://www.cars.gov/files/day-one.pdf explains it best and gives the most detail. A lot of people are confused. I have a 1996 V6 Ford Explorer 4X4 that will be going to scrap with a new E coming home:D Can't wait but I have to!:-(
I misread, thank you for clarifying. (I removed incorrect info in previous post) I haven't been able to check the link out, too lazy. I am on my way to now. I have a dead vehicle that I would love to unload.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I misread, thank you for clarifying. (I removed incorrect info in previous post) I haven't been able to check the link out, too lazy. I am on my way to now. I have a head vehicle that I would love to unload.
No problem Basset Box! This is a good program if you can fit into the parameters.

Biggest thing is you need to check the "combined" fuel mileage of you clunker and then depending if you are getting a passenger car or a class one truck it goes by how much mileage improvement you get. The other big stipulations are you have to have had it registered to you for 1 year or more, it must have been insured for the last year and it must be able to be driven into the dealer.

You'll want to be quick too, everything I'm reading is saying the program will most likely be out of funds by Labor Day or sooner. It's supposed to run through November 1st but no one out their thinks it will have enough money to even come close to that. The predicted start is July 23rd, so do a little research and be ready.

If you want you can PM me what you have to trade and what you are looking at and I will give it a shot to tell you what and if you would be able to get anything. I'm no expert but I have followed this program since it was first introduced.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The negative is, I took off the insurance because it didn't drive and I am in the process of getting it fixed. :-( It is also registered to my dad since he originally purchased it. I just got the title sent out to me but haven't switched it over. I could definitely sling shot it into a dealership lot for one last hurrah though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Work is such an inconvenience:) While I was gone, I discovered that my Jeep does qualify for the CFC program. It's a 4x4 Laredo, Red, 87K, 1992. Runs like a dream. Unfortunately, I'm married to the darn thing. I will likely use the CFC program for Jeep, though friends of mine who offroad aren't happy. If I get an ESC, I'll get $3500 for the Jeep. The last offer I got on it was 3K. So funny; people leave cards on it wanting to know if I want to sell it. That's been making me feel like keeping it!

Anyway, I think I will sell my Kiwi privately. I just hope the CFC program doesn't run out of money in the meantime!

Any suggestions about where to go online to post my car for sale?

Thanks...

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
EOC trader section
craigslist
autotrader dot com
cars dot com
ebay

All good sources to sell your E....just post good pics and details about what it is you're selling :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
CARS program

Someone in this thread has a vehicle they're considering for the CARS program, but mentions that it's titled in Dad's name and that the insurance was dropped for a while.

In addition to the requirements about mileages, the programs says you have to have owned the vehicle for at least a year (in your name) and it has to have been insured continuously for the past year. There are other requirements in addition. If you have title or insurance gaps, you may not want to count on trading in the vehicle as a clunker.

If you want to know whether a trade in and possible new car combination are going to qualify for CARS, go to www.cars.gov Once there, you'll see four tabs near the top of the screen. The fourth one says "MPG Ratings". Click it and you can go through a set of screens describing your trade in and the new car. The final screen will show you the two vehicles side by side and at the bottom, how many dollars the deal would be eligible for ... $0, $3,500 or $4,500.

There was discussion in this thread as to whether the Element is considered a car, truck, suv, station wagon and depending on what state you live in. That's irrelevant here ... what's important is what CARS says.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts