Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always stuck by the routine of performing my first oil change at 500 miles for new cars, then going up to 3k-4k miles between all subsequent changes. The reason for the 500 mile change is that new cars need to be broken in. The process of "breaking in" a new engine involves many things like gasket expansion, and the shaving off of imperfections in the crankcase. Anyway, this process CAN produce tiny metal shavings in your oil. These shavings can produce excess wear on the engine during the first 3000 miles. For this reason, I have always changed my new car's oil at 500 miles. I have no manual to back this practice up, but a simple test of pouring your oil over a magnet will give you a good idea of how much wear is actually occuring. It's also a good idea, in my book, to change differential fluid early the first time. Try the magnet test there too...you'll be suprised.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have seen any number of posts in different places that suggest that Honda has put in special detergents and other additives in the break-in oil. Changing it before the suggested date thereby dumps these additives as well.

Do you see metal shavings when you pass a magnet over the oil from the first oil change? I would be quite surprised to see anything much that was readily visible.

Iskie

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have my E yet, but my old Bronco, and my current Jeep have magnets in their Diffs, and crankcases. When I change the fluid, I get shavings. It's not a sign of bad engineering, just normal gear wear. If Honda used a special break-in formula in the oil, then I might skip my normal 500 change. Can anyone else confirm a special blend in the factory oil?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My trustee Honda dealer said the they do NOT use starter oil like in past. No need to change until the 1st scheduled change. I had to ask about this again from the awesome insight I am finding on these posts. A tremenddous wealth of knowledge. Keep it coming :lol:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would think that Honda would put something in their owners manual if there was an issue about changing the oil early. In these days where you need a warning label on a hair dryer "don't use while sleeping", I am sure Honda would have said something if we needed to change the oil during the break in period.

Honda would not want to do something where they might in the least contribute to engine problems.

As long as you change your oil and do your service at least as often as Honda says, you are covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ah, but they did! Look in the owner's manual in the section regarding break-in procedures. It says not to change oil before the specified interval.
I think Isketerol is right. :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My honda dealer has advised me not to get the first oil change until 3500miles. They want the additive that Honda puts in the oil for that long before changing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is from Honda's web site.

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My honda dealer recommended that I wait until at least 5000 miles before the first oil change...

It's interesting that the manual (and/or website) recommend changing the oil, but not the filter. At other points, they recommend changing both. Are they suggesting that you only have to change the filter with every other oil change? That seems odd to me....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Boy this is starting to get a bit confusing. :?

OK....maybe we better see about one of our dealers who post adding their 2 cents worth?

I am by far not an expert on oil changes, so anyone who knows, please try to clear this up a bit for us :?:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have never heard of changing the oil without changing the filter. The filter holds a good deal of oil and if you don't change it when you change the oil your new oil will get at least half a quart of dirty oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For some insane reason, the high wizards of engine magic from Honda have been recommending oil filter changes on every other oil change, for a long time. They do this on their auto engines and on their motorcycles. I personally always thought it was silly. I will not change my engine oil without the filter. but when you go in on the first interval, they will not change the filter, unless you request and pay for it (additional parts and labor). To be honest, I'm unwilling to trust my new Honda engine to that rubber oring seal for 20,000 miles.
-Anthony

·
Registered
608 Posts
One thing that someone reminded me, there is a crush ring that fits between the filter and motor. Make sure you replace that with each new filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought my E on Jan 6,2003 the dealer told me NOT to change the oil until it reaches 10,000 miles. i have 2500 on it so far..drove down to Baja California last week over some treacherous roads and it performed like a champ.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As has been pointed out - Don't change that oil before 5,000 miles is on the vehicle. Cars and Engines are totally different now. Engines are run on computers and the oil is drained before it is delivered for one.
Testing has shown that the break-in oil is important and oil consumption may increase in the engine if the break-in oil is not left in to do its thing.

Follow the Manual - forget the old patterns that were designed for different engines in a different time.

The latest engine oil and engine wear testing indicated that it is important that break-in oil be left in until 5,000 miles. I believe this testing was sponsored by the US Gov't for military (on-road) vehicles. I read some of the findings in the final report. Then, I was surprised to hear Pat Goss or Click and Clack read the highlights of the testing on the air (Radio).

People need to follow the manual and stop listening to the Service Dept or the Dealer... these guys will ALWAYS recommend more often oil changes.

Every manufacturer now uses break-in oil in their engines. It comes from the factory - it costs money - and it's put in for a reason. If a special first oil change was beneficial - believe me, it would be recommended - it would make them money because a certain percentage of people go to the dealer early in the life of a vehicle. They recommend leaving not changing the oil for 5,000 so they have improved customer satisfaction, customer retention, and the for the overall reputation of the company.

·
Registered
352 Posts
RML - Actually the crush washer is the aluminum washer that fits on the drain plug, not the filter. The filter has a flanged o-ring seal. Never the less, both the filter and crush ring should be changed at every oil change. 5 bucks for an oil filter and crush ring is cheap insurance for a $4000 engine.

·
Registered
608 Posts
lon777,

Great, I knew I heard about it somewhere. :wink:

Thanks for the right info.

You are of course right. $5.00 is much better than $4,000

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I got my CRX Si (brand new) in 1989, I didn't change the oil/oil filter until about ~9200 miles. That motor still does not burn oil between oil changes, still gets 40mpg, and now has 282,000+ miles with lots more life still. When I last tested the compression about 6 months ago, it still had abour 150psi across all the cylinders. BTW, the car has well over 1000 runs down the dragstrip too.

My point is, leave the break in oil until the first service!

I did the same thing with my 99 Civic Si, and expect a long life from that motor as well. It has already proven itself at the drag strip, with better times and trap speeds than Civic Si's with additional performance parts (mine is still "showroom stock")

When I looked in the Owner's Manual, under Normal conditions, it says not to change the oil/filter until 10k, and thats what I plan on doing....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Change the oil but not the filter? The manual for my Suzuki SV650 motorcycle recomended this because the filter supposedly becomes
more effective as it gets dirty and the filter holds back even smaller particles
as it gets filled with misc crud. If I were to do this I would definetely remove the old filter and drain the dirty oil before I re-installed it. Besides, Honda
stands to lose oil filter sales with this advice, so why would they do it if it was bad? Not sure yet what I am going to do when the time comes however.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts