Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I hope I am able to get some help with this issue I have been having. I’ve done a lot of troubleshooting and I’m just at a loss and need some advice/opinions.

Car is a 2007 sc with 126k miles
Only time engine light is on gives p0747 code

A few weeks ago I started to notice that my automatic sc was taking longer to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Sometimes it wouldn’t shift at all or it would have a few second delay before shifting and throwing the car forward a little bit. Sometimes when reversing the car will stall and I have to fully turn it back on. I’m very rare occasions the car will have a violent jerk after not switching gears almost as if I hit something. And just recently within the last week, limp home mode has come on after a harder 1st to 2nd shift. The weird part is after the car has driven for 10-15 minutes the issue goes away and the car shifts without issue for the rest of the drive. I never get an engine light until limp home mode comes on, even after the violent jerks I still don’t get an engine light.

I did some digging and asked in our Facebook groups to find several people who suggest an atf change/flush. I bought some genuine Honda atf and started the change process. I immediately saw that the fluid was a dark rusty color which looked totally different from the dipsticks pink color. I recently purchased this car 6 months prior so I assumed a fluid change had been done somewhat recently but based on the service records I have, the fluid had not been changed since 2011/75k miles prior. I only did the three bottles to start because I was unsure if this would fix the issue. I did a test drive and was still experiencing the shifting issue.

At this point I figured I would take it to Honda and let them determine what the issue was. I checked it in and was told that the entire clutch and transmission were tested on their computer along with all of their functions and the initial p0747 error was cleared by the test they ran. I went and picked up the car and not 2 minutes later I started having shifting issues again. I had to take the car back in the following day and left it with them for a few days. Funny enough the car drove perfectly from the moment I left to the moment I got there. Since then I did some research and found that it may be the shift solenoid or the clutch pressure control solenoid per the error code. Fast forward to today, I got a call back from the manager who told me that the transmission is bad and I have to spend $3400 to get the work done. I asked why the car drove fine from cold start to the dealership when I checked it back in and he was unable to answer this question. I am a bit skeptical whether that is the issue or not and the IT guy in me says too many things are not consistent to consider the entire transmission to be the issue. I figured I would come to your guys for advice. Am I in the hole $3400 or are they missing something and do I take it to the aamco transmission shop down the street?

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,756 Posts
I'd be skeptical of the entire transmission being bad as well. I would ask what specifically is wrong and how did they diagnose it. Not that it would necessarily be the cause, but did you also change the transmission filter? The fluid should have been a bright red. If you only did one drain and refill, you only changed maybe half the fluid. Another drain and refill will result in about 75% new fluid. I'd sure as heck try a new solenoid before paying for a new transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.