Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take my(new to me) 06 EX AWD, auto trans, on a Central Georgia shakedown weekend trip. Got 25.4mpg going there and 25.6mpg coming back partially in the rain. It was mostly 2 lane highway trying to keep close to 60mph up and down hills so i didnt use the cruise. Speedo is almost dead on with the gps speed. Is this mpg good, bad or average?

·
Registered
122 Posts
That’s quite good. I’m closer to 20 or 21, but I’m frequently driving 80ish which is no bueno for mpg as everyone knows 22-23 is pretty typical, and 25, while not heard of is definitely on the very good end. If I hear more than that, I start getting skeptical :)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
996 Posts
Finally got to take my(new to me) 06 EX AWD, auto trans, on a Central Georgia shakedown weekend trip. Got 25.4mpg going there and 25.6mpg coming back partially in the rain. It was mostly 2 lane highway trying to keep close to 60mph up and down hills so i didnt use the cruise. Speedo is almost dead on with the gps speed. Is this mpg good, bad or average?
All things considered, your MPG is very good!

The key to getting good mileage with an Element is to keep the speed down. These cars are not very aerodynamic, so the faster you go, the worse your MPG gets! : - (

I have had my '03 EX 2WD Auto for 1 1/2 years now and have been keeping mileage records the whole time.

The best I ever got was going 60mph on 2 lane flat country roads (Indiana corn fields) and no A/C on, got 26 mpg.

Going 75 - 80 mph down the Interstates with no A/C on: got 23 - 24

My usual what I call "country driving" (about 25 % city stop & go, and 75% going ~ 45 - 55 mph and 3 - 4 miles between stops) and no A/C on, I get 22 - 23 mpg.

Running it with the A/C on costs about another 1 mpg across the board.

In the heat of summer here in FL, 95 degrees, 95% humidity, A/C on full blast the whole time, and running 80 - 85 down the interstate, I will get 21 mpg. (I do this 400 mile round trip once every August.)

Based on what I have read during my time on this forum, my numbers line up pretty well with what many others here are getting.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it! : - )

Enjoy your new Element! : - )

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
578 Posts
That's really quite good. Like te1966, my 'close to home' average with hills, 45 to 55 mph, 5 to 10 mile trips, comes out right around 22 to 23 mpg. I was pleasantly surprised this summer when I did a 5300 mile total set of round trips and got just over 27 mpg: https://www.elementownersclub.com/threads/24-25-mpg-average-over-last-3000-miles.162803/#post-1690308
Drive on, maintain it well, you'll love the E.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cant think of too much to inprove the mpg. Wonder if the lowered ones get beter? True that the square box shape pushes too much wind, but the Scion Xb is boxy too and gets in the 30's pretty consistently (granted it is smaller). Is it true that the CRV has the exact drivetrain our Element has?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s quite good. I’m closer to 20 or 21, but I’m frequently driving 80ish which is no bueno for mpg as everyone knows 22-23 is pretty typical, and 25, while not heard of is definitely on the very good end. If I hear more than that, I start getting skeptical :)
Yes, my 1st two tanks local were 21mpg. Guess the easy 60mph constant made the difference. And no AC/Defrost most of the trip.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine is lowered a bit (just a couple inches), but I could tell no difference in mpg. My numbers are actually artificially a little low because I am running larger diameter ties than stock, but at most that would change the math 1mpg.
Speed really dominates the fuel economy equation here :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I get about 20-21.5 mpg and it's about 90% city/suburban driving- matches the EPA rating. It may go up a bit for the next couple months here in SW FL= I can turn the A/C off now..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get about 20-21.5 mpg and it's about 90% city/suburban driving- matches the EPA rating. It may go up a bit for the next couple months here in SW FL= I can turn the A/C off now..
Being a Floridian, i remember the few days a year when AC was not required. We live 50miles north of Atlanta now and lately its heat in the morning and AC in the afternoon. Lol Our 3 girls still live in Florida (Ocala, Melbourne, & Orlando) so we get to visit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just took another trip. 25.6mpg. Constant speeds between 55-60 not using the cruise. Heat was on some of the trip. But no defrost/ compressor.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
996 Posts
Just took another trip. 25.6mpg. Constant speeds between 55-60 not using the cruise. Heat was on some of the trip. But no defrost/ compressor.
Sounds good! Again, the key to better MPG in an Element is keeping the speed down. Aerodynamics (or lack thereof!) is the reason. Such is the price we pay for enjoying a car that is shaped like a brick! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Also helps to take control of the a/c compressor when in defrost mode.

Reactions: Hip001
1 - 12 of 12 Posts