Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!

- I finally found (& bought) a 2007 Element - AWD with a 5-speed which took me a while to find. Only 20K miles and in great shape - and at a good price!

It is not my first choice of colors (Orange) but it was one of my top choices; it is Galaxy Gray MT. I am pretty happy as this package combination was hard enough to find as it is... I drove 1,000 mi to get home.

I could not go for a new one because I wanted the rear sunroof and most importantly; all dealers pretty much told me to forget about finding a manual AWD version... After searching for a while, I went looking for a used 2007 / 2008 EX with the stuff I wanted. The Nav would be nice - I admit it...
On the other hand - I got an outstanding $$$ deal on this one.

Does anyone have a power curve graph for the Element's engine? I've always driven manuals and having an idea of the engine's power curve is helpful.
A table format would also help if anyone has that...

graphic power curves seem elusive for the Element - or for Honda in general... (This is my first Japanese brand car ever - but I had to have an Element!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
First, welcome to da nut house! :024:

Second, you are opening a can of worms here so don't let the negative grumps get to ya.

Third, I know nothing about the vtec power band so I'll leave it to the experts.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That is wierd, my VTAK (i know its vtec, its a joke with my buddies) engages at 4600rpm. I have never heard of a stock honda with its vtec engaging under 4500, unless they add a vtec contoller, and those are usless with being able to tune the car for upgrades.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've found that when I really need to pass, I rev to 4100 and then drop it from 5th to 4th gear, and it takes off like a rocket.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i think it's less than that, like 2800. we have the crap/fake vtec that save gas so it's 1.5 ohc under 2800 and dohc over 2800.

who got writing on this?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Straight from The Temple of VTEC: "Honda sets vtec engagement of the K24 series motors at 5800 rpm for the accord, crv, and element and 6000 rpm on the tsx. The numbers are straight from Honda....."

So there you go, we were all wrong. After searching some more, what we are hearing is the cams versus rpm changing the sound to near vtec, it is the "pre-vtec," thats what makes it intelligent, any intake or exhaust mods compliment this sound.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to kick in,or at least do something,thats why when I know I will need some added power under wot I use premium fuel .and yes it does make a defrence.why do you think they make knock sencors??? to retard timing for low octane fuel .higher octane no retard = more power . I gess I need to go out and stand on it to feal the vetec burst of power.If this E had 1/4 the pickup that my bug has I would be pickled tink!!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Galaxy Gray IS the best color available for the '7 & '08 Elements.

To get a sense for how the motor makes power, just drop it into 3rd gear, at about 25 mph and floor it. You will feel the engine come alive at ~4,500 rpm where the VTEC will kick in. Also be aware that there is fuzzy logic built in that will chance the shift points and VTEC kick-in based on your driving style. The car is 'learning' your routine....

Greetings!

- I finally found (& bought) a 2007 Element - AWD with a 5-speed which took me a while to find. Only 20K miles and in great shape - and at a good price!

It is not my first choice of colors (Orange) but it was one of my top choices; it is Galaxy Gray MT. I am pretty happy as this package combination was hard enough to find as it is... I drove 1,000 mi to get home.

I could not go for a new one because I wanted the rear sunroof and most importantly; all dealers pretty much told me to forget about finding a manual AWD version... After searching for a while, I went looking for a used 2007 / 2008 EX with the stuff I wanted. The Nav would be nice - I admit it...
On the other hand - I got an outstanding $$$ deal on this one.

Does anyone have a power curve graph for the Element's engine? I've always driven manuals and having an idea of the engine's power curve is helpful.
A table format would also help if anyone has that...

graphic power curves seem elusive for the Element - or for Honda in general... (This is my first Japanese brand car ever - but I had to have an Element!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Straight from The Temple of VTEC: "Honda sets vtec engagement of the K24 series motors at 5800 rpm for the accord, crv, and element and 6000 rpm on the tsx. The numbers are straight from Honda....."

So there you go, we were all wrong. After searching some more, what we are hearing is the cams versus rpm changing the sound to near vtec, it is the "pre-vtec," thats what makes it intelligent, any intake or exhaust mods compliment this sound.

...that would be just before red-line... Don't make much sense to have it at that point, -- may as well not have VTEC then...

·
Registered
793 Posts
...that would be just before red-line... Don't make much sense to have it at that point, -- may as well not have VTEC then...
Well you know they all say we don't get the REAL VTEC and we get the one for fuel economy. Alas, I am glad I will be lowering mine soon, with a head swap not too far off...8)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
To get a sense for how the motor makes power, just drop it into 3rd gear, at about 25 mph and floor it. You will feel the engine come alive at ~4,500 rpm where the VTEC will kick in. Also be aware that there is fuzzy logic built in that will chance the shift points and VTEC kick-in based on your driving style. The car is 'learning' your routine....
Yep,I do that sometimes when merging into faster moving traffic.Except I turn the O.D. off,get on the throttle and my E' just scoots along.Oh and I'm usually getting looks by those in traffic who can hear the little E' howling at them.lol :razz: For what it is,my E' actually runs pretty strong,although she sounds alot stronger than she actually is. A bit of bark,not much of a bite.lol:lol:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
haha, not saying you are wrong, just i read it somewhere on here.

Merry xmas

edit: found it, but link no worky

The vtec our Elements have kicks in at 2200 rpm, if you can call it kicking in.

From

http://www.theksource.com/news/04/k-...tec-breakdown/

"...This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lobe. This motor has no Vtec mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm with the other 4 slightly opening.
Note: in a VTEC-E engine, there are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is supposed to be tuned for fuel economy, right?

VTC - Variable Timing Control. This is a mechanism attached to the end of the intake camshaft only which acts as a continuously variable cam gear - it automatically adjusts the overlap between the intake and exhaust cams, effectively allowing the engine to have the most ideal amount of valve overlap in all RPM ranges. VTC is active at all RPMs."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Peak Torque / Power data

So far I've only found the following info:

Honda 2.4L spect'd for 2010:

Power: 166Hp @ 5,800 Rpm
(I'm surprised this is so high up in the reve range!)

Torque: 162 ft-lb @ 4,000 Rpm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts