Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you drive off like in the photo, you won't be riding to much, since the wheels are in the garage!!.

Seriously, why not just do what I do? take a bungee from the same handle that holds up the teat, over the saddle and attach to the inboard chainstay? Both wheels stay on the bike and it rolls right in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you drive off like in the photo, you won't be riding to much, since the wheels are in the garage!!.

Seriously, why not just do what I do? take a bungee from the same handle that holds up the teat, over the saddle and attach to the inboard chainstay? Both wheels stay on the bike and it rolls right in.
1-Because I did not want to, and
2-I am a little "anal" about making sure things stay secure. This takes about 5 seconds to remove the front wheel and clamp it in the fork clamp.

·
Registered
481 Posts
One of the big reasons I bought an Element was so I didn't have to take the wheel off every time I drove to a ride. In the old days that constant using the quick release was a pain and a bother. I also knew I was weakening it every time I torqued it down and thought about it on every downhill. I did always file down the lawyer tabs on all my bikes so I didn't need to do the twirly thing with the lever each time. But I think it's silly to take the wheels off each time, where do you put the wheels anyway?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Take the front wheel off? Where do the wheels go?

It's all a matter of frame size. No problem putting the wife's ride in with the front wheel on, but my frames are XL and they will not fit. Use Rocky Mounts for the forks with Saris Traps front wheel holders when we either want a little more security or are concerned about the weather. Usually the bikes ride on the Thule T2.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the big reasons I bought an Element was so I didn't have to take the wheel off every time I drove to a ride. In the old days that constant using the quick release was a pain and a bother. I also knew I was weakening it every time I torqued it down and thought about it on every downhill. I did always file down the lawyer tabs on all my bikes so I didn't need to do the twirly thing with the lever each time. But I think it's silly to take the wheels off each time, where do you put the wheels anyway?
First of all it is NOT silly to take the wheels off every time, They are designed for that specific purpose, ease of on and off. Secondly I did not realize this was going to be a thread about me taking off my wheels and how it is a bad idea or silly, I was just excited that they fit in my new vehicle the way they did. I guess I will rethink what I post from now on.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Secondly I did not realize this was going to be a thread about me taking off my wheels and how it is a bad idea or silly, I was just excited that they fit in my new vehicle the way they did. I guess I will rethink what I post from now on.
Don't worry about it. They weren't ragging you they were just expressing their opinions and that's all the internet is is opinions. I've done it both ways depending on how far I'm going and what else I'm carrying. If you search for the thread How do you carry your bikes? (or something like that) you will see that a lot of people use the fork clamps like you do.

Here it is.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Two bikes in the E

I constructed the same setup, then after more reading, re-constructed according to another members post that I am very happy with.

The mount still utilizes the two fork holders, however they are on each end of a 16" piece of wood and the bikes are close together and placed front to back. It works great, gives tons of room to one side for all kinds of other storage when traveling and the bikes never move. I stapled a piece of carpet to the underside of my board so it stays put.

If you really want to be elaborate, you can install rollers under the board so the entire assembly slides in and out. One member has done this

When biking close to home, I just wheel in the bikes through the passenger side door with the tires still on the bikes, but I do go in opposite directions with the bikes.

It all works well but took me a little time to read, experiment and learn!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I constructed the same setup, then after more reading, re-constructed according to another members post that I am very happy with.

The mount still utilizes the two fork holders, however they are on each end of a 16" piece of wood and the bikes are close together and placed front to back. It works great, gives tons of room to one side for all kinds of other storage when traveling and the bikes never move. I stapled a piece of carpet to the underside of my board so it stays put.

If you really want to be elaborate, you can install rollers under the board so the entire assembly slides in and out. One member has done this

When biking close to home, I just wheel in the bikes through the passenger side door with the tires still on the bikes, but I do go in opposite directions with the bikes.

It all works well but took me a little time to read, experiment and learn!
I saw that thread too.....that is a great set-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts