Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All --
I recently lifted my 2005 AWD EX and replaced all 4 struts (complete assemblies), lower control arms, upper rear control arms, and added camber bolts and spacers. I'll figure out how big the spacers are and post later. Had it aligned yesterday hoping it would be ready to go.
Unfortunately, theres a strange wobbly feeling and vibration in the pedals when I accelerate from stop. The sensation increases and decreases with my speed and stops when I take my foot off the gas.
The alignment guy said it's my axles. My mechanic thinks it's the axles after test driving it today. He wants me to look into longer axles (1" per side). What do you all think??
There are a few clunks and clacks, too. I've read plenty on this fantastic site about the potential resolutions. I got under my E and looked around. I saw one left CV boot looking like there's some gunk.
View attachment 203421
Also, on the right side there's a good amount of grease coming from the right side outer tie rod (see pic). View attachment 203420
Here's a pic of where the CV Axle sits in the left front. I don't enough about it, but is this angle causing my issues and if so, what's the fix?
View attachment 203422
Minus those two aforementioned leaks, everything else seems okay. Bushings, stabilizer links, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers.
E

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the angle of the axles is too steep then it can cause a shudder, but usually that's on a 3" lift and not a 2". The solution for a 3" is a subframe drop kit, but again it shouldn't be happening on a 2" lift unless the CVs are shot. It is probably the axles.

I think that tie rod end needs replacing too, seems torn.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just watched a couple of videos from Honda Rescue Garage. Sounds like the wobble is related to the angle on my E, but before I commit to a subframe kit, is there any chance my axle was pulled out while there other work was getting done? I mean, would the car still drive if the axle was pulled out of the boot? Since I only did 2", I don't want to commit financially to the kit only to find out the ankles were dislocated and could be "popped back in" for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here's an update. I put in the the subframe kit on the front and lowered the transmission mounts. I haven't done the rear subframe yet.

Although improved, the wobble is still highly noticeable when I am on the gas harder than average acceleration.

I'm a little discouraged, but not giving up. Still think it's the axles? Beat solution? Replace axles entirely? Any recommended places to order new ones?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am out of my Element (ha) on this. I know there is a step when removing the front struts where something can pop out of the axle… maybe that happened? I'll defer to more knowledgable people.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I am out of my Element (ha) on this. I know there is a step when removing the front struts where something can pop out of the axle… maybe that happened? I'll defer to more knowledgable people.
I can remember at least one thread in the past from someone who did exactly that but I don't remember the specifics - sorry. You ought to be able to find it with search if it hasn't been lost.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i found the one you mentioned, but I'm stuck whether i need to simply re-seat it, buy new front axles, or maybe its not the problem.
I am also curious if I get the wheels I want with anything less than +45* offset, maybe that'll help if the axles are slightly pulled out of the joint.

In any event, I appreciate you guys trying to help!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here's the latest. I'm still stuck. I took off the wheels and re-tightened the lugs to spec to make sure that wasn't the issue. I feel like my wobble when accelerating has disappeared for the most part, but now I'm getting something new. Sounds like the front left is making a sound that is associated with the speed. It's not a clunk, or a click, but kinda sounds like I ran over something and the tire is making a whomp, whomp, whomp. Arrrgh.

Got a quote from Marty @Raxles. $299 per side for the CV axles if I send him my old ones.

Any other thoughts before I commit to another expensive replacement, only to find it's not the problem?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and I should mention something else I found. Hard to tell, but it looks like the driver's side outer tie rod looks slightly bent compared to the passenger side. Could this cause any of the issues I'm experiencing? I feel like this would mostly affect something with steering and not something else, right?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got around to installing the rear subframe lowering kit. The sound I indicated above wasn't there this time. Strange. Still have the issues with a wobble, so I am ordering new CV axles soon. However, I was able to pull on the rear axles while the tires were off and there is a lot of play; at least an inch in either direction. Raxles doesn't do the rears. What are my best options? I'll do a search now, but would appreciate any recent experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updating this in case anyone is following. Still working on my E. In the past few weeks, I've done the following:
1. Had the CV half shafts replaced with non-OEM parts. Before committing to more expensive Raxles, I wanted to be as certain as possible that this would be the fix. Happy to report, the E is now driveable and I only have a little wobble between 10 and 20 mph.
2. Changed the rear differential fluid.
3. Had her realigned.
4. Ordered Thule cross bars with fit kit. Can't wait!
5. Changed to a new, larger battery power EOC's recommendation. I live this site!

The alignment guy confirmed an issue I noticed earlier. The driver side inner tie rod and the outer tie rod appear crooked. I'm not sure if I need to replace both components, but would appreciate some guidance, if you can provide it.

Just bummed that I'll be having to get another assignment done just as soon as I touch that area again. Oy!

Be well all,

E

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Updating this in case anyone is following. Still working on my E. In the past few weeks, I've done the following:
1. Had the CV half shafts replaced with non-OEM parts. Before committing to more expensive Raxles, I wanted to be as certain as possible that this would be the fix. Happy to report, the E is now driveable and I only have a little wobble between 10 and 20 mph.
2. Changed the rear differential fluid.
3. Had her realigned.
4. Ordered Thule cross bars with fit kit. Can't wait!
5. Changed to a new, larger battery power EOC's recommendation. I live this site!

The alignment guy confirmed an issue I noticed earlier. The driver side inner tie rod and the outer tie rod appear crooked. I'm not sure if I need to replace both components, but would appreciate some guidance, if you can provide it.

Just bummed that I'll be having to get another assignment done just as soon as I touch that area again. Oy!

Be well all,

E
I would think the only way you can damage those parts and make them crooked would be some sort of impact to the wheel.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I agree. In looking at a few YouTube videos, I heard one say hitting a pothole hard, but who knows. I don't think the driver side outer was removed while some other work was getting done, but it seems like that's where the bend is. So maybe the threading is off on the outer. I want to just take it off and retread, or replace, but that also means the E will need another alignment. Just fatigued on paying for that right away. Might just wait until I decide on new wheels and tires, and get the OEM axles.

Thanks for replying!
E

·
Registered
55 Posts
The tie rods can hit the bodywork on lifted Elements, you must check for this. Solution is to trim the metal so the tie rod doesn't hit. Hitting it can bend the tie rod. Common problem.

But to me your problem sounds like an engine mount is bad, and the engine is moving under torque load.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update swapped out the chinese crap cv-axles and ordered from Marty at Raxles. Lo and behold, the shimmy is gone. I wish I wasn't so stubborn and just listened to everyone else that said pay for OEM or Raxles. Thanks all!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi All --
I recently lifted my 2005 AWD EX and replaced all 4 struts (complete assemblies), lower control arms, upper rear control arms, and added camber bolts and spacers. I'll figure out how big the spacers are and post later. Had it aligned yesterday hoping it would be ready to go.
Unfortunately, theres a strange wobbly feeling and vibration in the pedals when I accelerate from stop. The sensation increases and decreases with my speed and stops when I take my foot off the gas.
The alignment guy said it's my axles. My mechanic thinks it's the axles after test driving it today. He wants me to look into longer axles (1" per side). What do you all think??
There are a few clunks and clacks, too. I've read plenty on this fantastic site about the potential resolutions. I got under my E and looked around. I saw one left CV boot looking like there's some gunk.
View attachment 203421
Also, on the right side there's a good amount of grease coming from the right side outer tie rod (see pic). View attachment 203420
Here's a pic of where the CV Axle sits in the left front. I don't enough about it, but is this angle causing my issues and if so, what's the fix?
View attachment 203422
Minus those two aforementioned leaks, everything else seems okay. Bushings, stabilizer links, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers.
E
It needs a engine and subframe drop kit it will help out a lot mines is good with a 3 inch lift and aerogenics drop kits

1 - 20 of 22 Posts