Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

We have a Yakima bike rack that is designed to fit into a 2" square receiver hitch. We have been unsuccessful in our search for one. Seems like 1 1/4" is the only size available. If you know of a source for the 2" size, we would really appreciate it!

yelapa
EX Eternal Blue Pearl

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote:d79db28136="Kayakin' Dan"]I installed my own hitch and the 1-1/4 inch is all you can get for the Element. I was bummed, as all I had were 2" accessories. But try this, I put the 6" version on and it works beautifully. As always, don't overload your hitch! http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=358910&BQ=jcw2[/quote:d79db28136]

Yo KD

Great idea. I had looked at those but wonder if the welds holding the existing 1 1/4 receiver to the hitch assembly will support the torque represented by the adapter and loaded rack. Are those spot welds or do they look more substantial? Of course, I could take the hitch to a welder and have him reinforce it anyway, I suppose.

thanks for the reply.

yelapa

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I tried and tried and can't bend it with my bare hands. It's welded all the way around. It's rated for a 3500 lb. trailer, which is 200lbs more than your Element can pull...I think you'll be OK.

Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo KD,

I'm sure it can pull 3500 no problem but a heavy bike rack represents the equivalent of WAY excessive tongue weight. Sounds like good welds, though. And being a kayaker I would expect some good muscles.

I'm a sailor, so I nave to rely on manual dexterity: Hold a can of beer and the tiller in one hand and a couple of sheets in the other.

yelapa

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put on the 1 1/4 Hidden Hitch and then the 2" adapter so I could carry a Thule 2" bike rack and also so I could use the Thule Goal Post to give me more crossbar spread on the roof rack for long kayaks.
The system works great and you are WAY under the 1500 lb rating of the 1 1/4 in hitch. When using an adapter to go from size to size you will get slop and use sections from a plastic milk carton to take up the slop.The parts will still slide in/out. DON'T use metal shims!

Gimley

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gimley,

I understand about the 1,500 rating but that is the tow weigh which is the amount of force that is trying to pull the hitch off the back HORIZONTALLY.

I am interested in the additional leverage of the 1 1/4 to 2 inch adapter on the effective tongue weight, which is the weight pushing DOWN on the hitch. As you increase the length of a lever, the force increases by (as I recall) the square of the length. That is why levers are so powerful.

Sorry to get a little technical and, really, it will probably come down to some guy with an arc welder who thinks he can "make her purty dang good...you come back if ya have any problems..."

yelapa

·
Registered
7 Posts
yelapa
While you seem to have a serious fear of using the converter to carry bikes I can tell you that I've already logged over 4ooo miles doing it with no problems. Geez, if the hitch is rated at 1500 lbs and your bikes and rack weigh less than 200 where do you figure all the torque is coming from? I drive 40000 miles a year with bikes and boats and take the safety ratings seriously too but your concerns don't bear out in the real world. Towing a trailer would be another matter and I don't intend to do this with my Element even though my trailer with kayaks is still under the 1500. The real answer is for someone to offer a 2" receiver port that will fit on the Element for things like bikes, kayak and canoes and other lightweight items. Most people are for sure buying the 2" size bike racks as that is what comes on most factory jobs (Jeeps, Chevy) and when they get an Element it begs to be the vehicle of choice for recreation. And the adapter is a hassle. But 2" is equated with 3500 lb tow ratings and I'm sure the manufactures and Honda won't bring one to market due to liability if someone disregards the obvious.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gosh, I am very sorry, Gimley, that my concern disturbs you. Perhaps you are one of those who really do think there is such a thing as a dumb question.

It just happens that I have never seen a HiddenHitch in person and am trying to find out from people who know. From the photos it looks pretty lightweight to me.

When you add six inches of leverage to the (seemingly) rather modestly built receiver with the adapter, that gives the adapter plenty of additional leverage to work against the attachment point for the existing 1 14" hitch. That is the TORQUE I am concerned about. Torque is the power to TWIST--in this case, to TWIST the 1 1/4" receiver relative to the hitch frame. Also, if you think the load back there is a STATIC 200 lbs or whatever, then I envy that you are lucky enough to drive on perfectly smooth surfaces with no speed bumps, chuck holes, etc. Unfortunately, I am not. It also looks to me like you abslutely do not understand the difference between tow weight and tongue weight. Tow weight is HORIZONTAL. Tongue weight is VERTICAL.

Tell you what: You call HiddenHitch and ask them how they feel about adding an 6" long receiver adapter to their hitch. I am glad that you have been successful with this arrangement and appreciate your relating the experience. I know nothing about the Thule rack but the Yakima is physically pretty heavy, so pardon my concern. No offense, but your apparent contempt here for someone asking a couple of questions seems to me to be a bit much.

regards, yelapa

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm tellin ya, the adapter can handle anything you can throw at it. Hidden Hitch sells the adapter and the hitch. Vertical or horizontally, I think you'll be cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi KD,

I think that's the way I'm gonna go. I'm just used to looking at beefier hitches than the Class 1 styles that I have seen locally (which do not include the Hidden Hitch product line). If the Hidden Hitch looks like it needs reinforcement, it would be easy to have a welder handle it. I appreciate your information and advice.

yelapa

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
Yelapa, I understand your concern about safety. I have been behind a vehicle towing something to heavy(in his case a camper) it snapped loose on the highway at roughly 65mph crossed our lane of traffic causing us to skid out of control, then the camper jumped the median clipping a car and hitting another t bone style flipping the camper onto the car. No safety chains or anything to make it even better it busted his gas tank before flying off. Sorry im still a little bitter about that one.

I too have been shopping for hitches because I just purchased a very small trailer >1300 lbs. According to all the information I have found the Class I Hidden Hitch will actually accept 2000lbs tow weight and 200 lbs tongue weight. I know the element only tows 1500 with a tongue of 150lbs. I am totally uninformed about bike carriers and whether the weight of the carrier+bikes is all tongue weight or tow weight. I also do agree that the adding the adapter will mean more torgue you seem to know your physics but if memory serves me correctly doesnt it have something to do with the fulcrum? I am getting my hitch installed soon by the trailer dealer and if you have any questions you would like for me to ask just let me know. I dont know much but I am willing to do what I can to find out!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi BriBoy01,

I think the whole issue with it is tongue weight, not tow weight. the fulcrum point I am concerned about is where the hitch receiver assembly is welded to the main crossmember bar. It does sound like others here have had a good experience with the 2" adapter, but I'm not in a bug rush to make a decision. I will need something by mid-July though. I hear rumors that there may well be a 2" solution or two available by then.

yelapa

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the Class 1 Hidden Hitch on easily enough, but a four bike rack loaded with high-end full-suspension mountain bikes is just too close to the maximum tongue weight limit of 200 pounds. While my passengers are laughing it up about the latest spectacular biff, I'm nervously watching the quivalent of what I paid for my Element bouncing around in the rear view mirror.

There are nothing but Class 1 hitches available because the manufacturers see no market for heavier-duty ones due to the Element's limited towing capacity. I'm going to get an estimate from a welder to "beef mine up" to a tongue weight limit high enough that I can quit worrying and enjoy the drive. One reason we replaced a pickup with the Element was so we could car-pool to the trail heads and make our favorite sport a little more sociable with something that could easily carry four people, their bikes and gear. Once I solve this, we're there! I love this vehicle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote:e9224e9d7b="yelapa"]HI all,

We have a Yakima bike rack that is designed to fit into a 2" square receiver hitch. We have been unsuccessful in our search for one. Seems like 1 1/4" is the only size available. If you know of a source for the 2" size, we would really appreciate it!

yelapa
EX Eternal Blue Pearl[/quote:e9224e9d7b]

They put the smaller 1 1/4" so it will limit the things people tow. Every see someone towing a 26' boat with Suzuki Samari. It happens at the Colorado river all the time. Honda is just C.T.A

·
Registered
21 Posts
For everybody who wants to carry more than two bikes on a hitch rack, I got the following message from sales rep Corey Haustein at Sports Rack:

"Valley industries will have a class II hitch with 350 lbs. of tongue weight with a 2" receiver opening. It will be available at the end of the month. So they say. You can also run a safety strap to the hatch lid as a support for the weight of the bikes on the hitch. We sell the straps and will be selling the hitch as soon as it is available. I will have one on my E as soon as possible.

They do not have much information about the hitch at this time. Stay in touch with me as the end of the month nears.

Sincerely,

Corey
Sports Rack, Mail Order
800-722-5872 ext. 216
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
www.sportsrack.com <http://www.sportsrack.com>"

:D You've got to be able to trust a sales rep who owns the same vehicle you do and she responded to my e-mail in less than four minutes! This is great news for anyone trying to carry, like I am, four fairly heavy bikes on a four bike rack that together closely approach a Class I rack's tongue weight limit. The model number is 82580.

Anybody want to buy a barely used Hidden Hitch Class I rack? It's fine for two or maybe three bikes. If not, I'm returning it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow, glad to hear that there will be a 2" receiver hitch. Definitely keep us updated. I plan to try and hold off until it is available, but will need one buy the middle of August. I'm going on vacation and want to take my bikes along, and I would certainly prefer the 2".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yo bunjinjohn

thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the 2 inchers! if convenient for you, please keep us in the loop if there is more info as the time gets closer.

thx

yelapa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts