Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2nd E (2004 EX AWD 5 Sp) and it doesn't have a hitch. I could potentially remove the existing 2" hitch from my 2003 E, as I assume they are compatible but want to check on price of a new one first, as I'm not sure how much of a pain it might be to get the old one off since it's been on there for a long time. Just curious if folks have any particular brands I should consider (or not consider) when checking around? I need one that will have a 2" hitch receiver and prefer one that will bolt up directly without any modifying or hassles. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks. Did you install trailer wiring as well? I see the OEM wiring harness is no longer available for a 2004, so wondering if any input out there on good wiring options? Also curious where folks are mounting their trailer wiring connector so it doesn't get damaged by road abuse? My preference is for the big round connector - I usually use a flat four connector for my utility trailer but occasionally I tow my [email protected] trailer as well, which uses the bigger round connector. I did figure out a good way to mount it on my old E that didn't eventually get smashed by accidentally backing into something or otherwise bumping it. Anyone have any mounting options that have worked well for them?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious where folks mount their trailer wiring connector? Ideally I prefer a 7-pin connector and then an adapter when I just need the flat 4 connection. On my older E, this thing is mounted next to the hitch but it inevitably took a beating after hitting something. Just wondering if anyone has any creative ways to mount a 7-pin connector where it will be safe and secure.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, finally getting ready to order my hitch receiver and wiring harnesses for my 2004 E. As advised, I'm planning to order this harness in order to have 4-flat connection:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C55336.html

Reading through other threads, however, I'm a bit confused as I see mention of other wiring connections I need to do under the dash (?), while other discussions make it seem like I can just plug this harness into the grey plug in the cargo area and it is ready to go. Am I missing something or will I just be able to plug this harness in and be ready to go?

Also, I'm planning to buy this 4-flat to 7-round adapter:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C57674.html

Just wondering how others have supplies the 12v power for the 7-round connector? ETrailer advised I get this 40amp circuit breaker, which I'm planning to order, am I presume otherwise I need to run a ~10 guage wire up directly to the battery to supply the 12v (?). If so, any advise on how/where best to run this wire?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts