Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird question but does anyone have a first-gen Elememt starter they can measure for me?

I’m trying to find out if the 2003-2006 starter is shorter than the 2007-2011 for my j-series swapped Element. I had to really shave some metal off of it (mine was a 2008) and if the 2006 and prior starter is even a few millimeters shorter that would help.

This is the starter I’m talking about that I’m trying to find measurements for:

Here is me measuring the existing one. Need to know the length from the flange to the end, including the nub sticking out of the end cap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have my old 05 starter sitting on my workbench. You want the measurement from the mounting surface to the very end of the starter? If so, it looks like 6.25".

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a chance based on looking at a ton of pictures and my hunch turned out to be correct. The older starter is much shorter than the newer one!

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I took a chance based on looking at a ton of pictures and my hunch turned out to be correct. The older starter is much shorter than the newer one!

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

So the 2 big questions are: Are the 2 fully interchangeable? Was it your modifications that caused the need for the smaller starter?

It seems that the smaller one would be somewhat easier to install, especially if you're installing it from underneath.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the two are fully interchangeable with the exception of the starter signal wire. On the older model it is a raw female connector and the newer model it is a legit plug. I checked the part number for the transmission case before ordering to make sure it would have the same bolt pattern.

I needed a shorter starter because of the modified oil pan that came with the kit for the v6 swap was not done right.

The original starter failed because of the modifications I had to make. This new one went in with much less persuading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts