Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day the brake light came on, I checked the fluid and didn't hear any noises and no other issues with braking. About a week later, I heard what sounded like the indicators so I immediately changed the pads, put the best ceramic pads I could get from Autozone on, changed the clips and everything. The BRAKE light is still on. Is there a way to reset this or something. I can't find anything to indicate why it is on. Please help

2003 Honda Element over 110k miles so warranty is out.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Assuming the Honda is the same as the GM systems I'm used to, the brake light means that the metering valve is sending too much fluid to either front or back and it tripped a warning light. Could be a metering valve fault or a brake line or cylinder leak, air in the line, etc, or you could just be low on brake fluid. Is one section of the reservoir empty? Were any of the brake pads worn much further than the others? Did you make sure that the brake cylinders are working properly when you changed the pads?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did make sure the cylinders worked, the passenger side was only slightly more worn if even. The indicators were both about to start hitting the rotor, but neither side had gotten that far, probably would have in another month or two. Brake fluid was fine on both sides. No leaks or cracks in the break lines that I could see. Is there some kind of sensor down there that I missed that might be faulty?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was the fluid level OK before your pad change since you would have pushed it back into the reservoir some.
It could be low psi setting it off also, not sure what other systems would set it off.
Chris

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The brake light could be the E brake switch malfunctioning or the wire going to it shorting it or the fluid level switch or the proportioning valve. Pull the cover off the ebrake and check the switch. If ok unplug the level plug on the side of the reservoir. I don't know where the proportioning valve is but it looks like its part of the antilock unit. The older valves required a very heavy foot to reset the switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts