Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly selling 2003 Honda Element EX automatic, well maintained, typical wear and tear (driver side seat tear, fading on the exterior plastic panels), no major accidents (two minor fender benders, replaced passenger quarter panel and side view mirror), all service records available, all recall repairs done (seatbelt & airbags).
Cold AC - condenser, evaporator and fans replaced in the last 2 years
Radiator replaced in the last 3 years
All new motor mounts
Transmission flush & fluid change (@225k, 169k and 74k) (done the proper way according to the Honda service manual, drain & fill 3x with short drives in between)
New spark plugs, coils, tubes
New alternator (2019)
Brakes - will need replacing in the next year or two
Control arm bushings (passenger and driver) replaced
Tie Rod Ends & lower ball joints replaced (05/2016)
Serpentine belt replaced (09/2020)
Sway Bar bushings replaced (09/2020)
Valve cover gasket replaced (09/2020)
Oxygen Sensor replaced (02/2018)
New tires @ 175k miles(08/2015)
Passed emissions inspection 04/2021

HOWEVER... it overheated last week and the head gasket is now blown (verified with combustion gas test). Hence the "possibly" selling. I may decide to replace the entire block and keep driving it another 100k miles, but if I get a decent offer to buy without having to put $2500 into a new engine, I'll consider selling as is. I'm starting a family this year, so, a newer safer car may be the wiser choice for me, depending on interest in purchasing the Element with a blown head gasket. I purchased in 2007 with 75k miles, most of the mileage since then has been highway/road trip. I work from home (and have for 5 years) so no daily commuter/stop and go wear and tear on her. Garage kept in DC/VA for 2.5 years, before and after that lived in FL and now GA, so no snow/salt damage and rust. She's been my baby, and I've taken good care of her (mostly with the help of this forum, whose maintenance and repair posts have saved my life and helped me bully mechanics into doing the right diagnostics and repairs on her many times), and I'm hoping to find her a good home. As I said, I may decide to just put in a "new" JDM engine and drive her till the wheels fall off, but, the soon-to-be mom in me thinks maybe a newer safer (read better side impact protection and easier to load a car seat into and out of) car would be the better choice for my future tiny human, even if it breaks my heart.

If you're interested, please make any reasonable offer. I'm located just outside Atlanta, car isn't currently driveable with the blown head gasket, so, would have to be towed, or repaired here and then taken to wherever it needs to go, I have a very good mechanic here if that's what you'd like to do).

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,601 Posts
Bad head gasket doesn't necessitate a new engine. If your oil consumption was OK, just have the gasket replaced. If the timing chain is still original, it would be a good idea to go ahead and install a new one while it is apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad head gasket doesn't necessitate a new engine. If your oil consumption was OK, just have the gasket replaced. If the timing chain is still original, it would be a good idea to go ahead and install a new one while it is apart.
The quote to fix the head gasket is the same price as the quote to replace the entire engine with a JDM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts