Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 Element EX with an automatic transmission. It just rolled over to 82000 and when i took it in, the dealer told me i needed to change the transmission and rear differential fluid. What kind of fluid is best here? Stick with the Honda brand fluid or go synthetic? If synthetic, what brand do you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honda brand on both.

Ck the DIY's for the how to's

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently purchased a 2003 Element EX with an automatic transmission. It just rolled over to 82000 and when i took it in, the dealer told me i needed to change the transmission and rear differential fluid. What kind of fluid is best here? Stick with the Honda brand fluid or go synthetic? If synthetic, what brand do you recommend? Thanks

Your car is definitely overdue for these fluids:

For the trans, use Honda Z1 auto trans fluid. If you do it yourself, do it 3 times in a row with a short drive in between. Otherwise your only replacing about 1/3 the fluid. Doing 3 in a row gets about 70+% out. If your going to the dealer, pay the extra for a flush (whatever that is)...

For the rear diff, you can only use Honda's Dual-Pump II fluid. To do it yourself, you need to buy 2 quarts, a funnel and a long tube. You could also buy a little hand pump that screws onto the quart bottle, but that isn't capable of getting all the fluid out. The change takes 1.1 quarts. There are really good writeups with pictures on this forum of how to do it...

BTW: I would also replace the brake fluid. According to Honda, it's only good for 3 years before it has soaked up too much moisture. This lowers the boiling point of the fluid which could lead to disaster if you ever need to make a hard stop on the freeway...

·
Registered
510 Posts
i used honda oeme fluids,i bought them from my local honda dealerhship and changed out all the fluids myself.save me some money. :)
and i will change the brake fluids this weekend hopefully if i can find some free time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts