Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Element. The starter quit on it and so I replaced the starter. After all was put back together I started it and it turned over once and sputtered, taking a bit of fuel. Then it quit.

Now the starter goes and all the wheels in the belts turn but it doesn't seem to spark. It seems to sput once every time I try to start it when it has sat for half hour or so but that is it. As far as I can tell when I try to start it you can hear the fuel injection trying to pump fuel. It was almost on empty prior to when the starter first went but I had since filled it with 10 bucks gas.

Any suggestions? It ran fine up until the starter died and we had seen that coming. Can removing all the components needed to get to the actual starter interfere with anything? I know that everything is installed nicely back to where it should be.

Thanks!!!

ElemenT_AaroN

·
Registered
174 Posts
Couple things come to mind,
Did you disconnect the battery cable when you installed the started(from the battery)? Check ground connections particularly at the frame, the computer may be having an issue starting. Since you disturbed the cables while doing the starter.
Also check you fuses you may have blown one if it was not disconnected.
You may have flooded the engine, remove the fuel pump relay or fuse, turn the engine over with the throttle wide open. Do that for a few seconds, a couple times.
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the relay or fuse? I can't find my manual and there isn't anything on it available on the web. I wish they made a site with all of the parts diagrams on it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Honestly I am not even sure I will check when my E returns home. I have never had to do that on my E, only on every other vehicle I have owned.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts